Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
I9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Because this is a macOS website, I do not provide any guides for Windows other than how to prevent Windows from interfering with macOS.
Totally understand, I guess I wasn't asking how to install it, just if anyone has issues after trying all of this. Sorry for the confusion.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Totally understand, I guess I wasn't asking how to install it, just if anyone has issues after trying all of this. Sorry for the confusion.
On the Gigabyte B550 Vision D (AMD Ryzen Processor), I was indeed able to install Windows 11, but I did so on a separate SSD. Windows 11 simply merged its boot loader into the already-existent Windows 10 EFI boot folder. This means:
  • On AMD motherboards we enable fTPM, but on Intel motherboards we enable PTT.
  • Windows 10 SSD has its own EFI partition and hence its own boot loader
  • Windows 10 and 11 do not interfere with OpenCore, which is located in the EFI partition of macOS NVMe SSD
  • OpenCore shows boot options for macOS and Windows, but not separate options for macOS, Windows 10, and Windows 11.
  • This is due to the manner in which Windows 11 merges it boot loader into the pre-existing Windows boot loader.
  • When we select Windows from OpenCore, we immediately see a Microsoft boot selector where we can choose between Windows 10 and Windows 11.
  • However, if you simply upgrade Windows 10 to Windows 11, then you will have a simpler, one-step boot process.
I described my experience here:

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
I9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
On the Gigabyte B550 Vision D (AMD Ryzen Processor), I was indeed able to install Windows 11, but I did so on a separate SSD. Windows 11 simply merged its boot loader into the already-existent Windows 10 EFI boot folder. This means:
  • On AMD motherboards we enable fTPM, but on Intel motherboards we enable PTT.
  • Windows 10 SSD has its own EFI partition and hence its own boot loader
  • Windows 10 and 11 do not interfere with OpenCore, which is located in the EFI partition of macOS NVMe SSD
  • OpenCore shows boot options for macOS and Windows, but not separate options for macOS, Windows 10, and Windows 11.
  • This is due to the manner in which Windows 11 merges it boot loader into the pre-existing Windows boot loader.
  • When we select Windows from OpenCore, we immediately see a Microsoft boot selector where we can choose between Windows 10 and Windows 11.
  • However, if you simply upgrade Windows 10 to Windows 11, then you will have a simpler, one-step boot process.
I described my experience here:
Good to know info here. Thanks. Have you had a chance to try this on the Designare MB?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z690 Aero G
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@shdwkeeper

It sounds like you are looking for somebody who has done the Win10 to Win11 upgrade on the Designare to respond.

I have done it successfully, and it doesn't require special instructions. I suggest you should be using OC 0.7.5. I have macOS, both Monterey and Big Sur, on one internal SSD, and I had Windows 10 on another internal SSD. I did not remove the macOS SSD to update Windows. If you want to be super-safe you might want to.

Running Win10 "Update Windows" I was notified Win11 was available and my Designare was compatible (with the appropriate BIOS settings.) One can run the update right there if one wants to. I actually created a WIn11 installer because I had other computers to update. I started Win10 and ran the Wind11 installer from within Win10. I just let it run and eventually Win11 was installed and running with all my prior apps still there. Win11 is still available as a startup option in the OC Picker.

MacOS and Win11 are now running fine on my Designare on separate SSDs.

It worked fine for me. I will not guarantee that it will work fine for you -- but it should. Make sure you have all the appropriate backups for disaster recovery!

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
I9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Good to know info here. Thanks

@shdwkeeper

It sounds like you are looking for somebody who has done the Win10 to Win11 upgrade on the Designare to respond.

I have done it successfully and it doesn't require special instructions. I suggest you should be using OC 0.7.5. I have macOS, both Monterey and Big Sur, on one internal SSD, and I had Windows 10 on another internal SSD. I did not remove the macOS SSD to update Windows. If you want to be super-safe you might want to.

Running Win10 "Update Windows" I was notified Win11 was available and my Designare was compatible (with the appropriate BIOS settings.) One can run the update right there if one wants to. I actually created a WIn11 installer because I had other computers to update. I started Win10 and ran the Wind11 installer from within Win10. I just let it run and eventually Win11 was installed and running with all my prior apps still there. Win11 is still available as a startup option in the OC Picker.

MacOS and Win11 are now running fine on my Designare on separate SSDs.

It worked fine for me. I will not guarantee that it will work fine for you -- but it should. Make sure you have all the appropriate backups for disaster recovery!
Thank you. I'm on 10.14.5 macOS right now. So I'm trying to upgrade that first. Any tips? I'm going through all micro guides at moment since I have been running this for a few years, and I have to remember how to do everything again.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thank you. I'm on 10.14.5 macOS right now. So I'm trying to upgrade that first. Any tips? I'm going through all micro guides at moment since I have been running this for a few yrs and I have to remember how to do everything again.
After performing the step highlighted below (Replace Clover with OpenCore), it should be possible to perform an in-place upgrade to the latest version of macOS (Monterey). As you follow that procedure, just replace all references to OpenCore 0.7.4 with 0.7.5. You'll find a link to OpenCore 0.7.5 mini-guide in the same spoiler.

Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 4.48.33 PM.png

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
I9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
After performing the step highlighted below (Replace Clover with OpenCore), it should be possible to perform an in-place upgrade to the latest version of macOS (Monterey). As you follow that procedure, just replace all references to OpenCore 0.7.4 with 0.7.5. You'll find a link to OpenCore 0.7.5 mini-guide in the same spoiler.

View attachment 535600
I'm running Opencore 0.6.3 already on Mojave, does that matter?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello !!
If the "OWC Hub Thunderbolt 4 - Hub 4 ports Thunderbolt 4" works well with the gc titan ridge 2.0 (not flashed) on the Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming it is, on the other hand, not recognized by the onboard TB3 of the Z390 Designare ( not flashed too). (OC 0.7.5 on both). (The Designare recognizes LG 5K Ultrafine or Samsung TB3 X5...)
An idea ?
No one has experience with this problem ? :)

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm running Opencore 0.6.3 already on Mojave, does that matter?
OpenCore 0.6.3 does not support Monterey. It’s best to use 0.7.5.

Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z390 Designare
CPU
i7-9900K
Graphics
RX580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,
I have problem with screen saver if I select source from folder with my pictures.
It is not working after updates to Monterey
Any one face same similar issue