Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Although this applies to all versions of macOS, it is particularly applicable to Monterey users because of the sudden onslaught of trim-related issues.

Avoid installing macOS on the following NVMe M.2 SSDs:
  • Samsung 970, 970 Plus, 970 Pro
  • Samsung 980, 980 Pro

Hi, can anyone confirm whether or not using Samsung 970 Evo will be a problem for non-system drives? I am planning to replace my 970 Evo system drive with a WD Black SN750 to avoid issues, but am wondering if I also need to replace my second 970 Evo that is used for data only. Any input appreciated!

It's possible ? But there is no Thunderbolt add-in card connector on this mother board ?
Thunderbolt header is not needed. We just bridge the top and middle pins of the 5-pin J1 header with a simple breadboard cable.

Thunderbolt header is not needed. We just bridge the top and middle pins of the 5-pin J1 header with a simple breadboard cable.
This is good news, thank you very much, Mr CaseySJ.
But, concretely, how do you do this? We need to link what to what and what header is it? I'm sorry but I'm slightly (!) "dépassé" !!!

This is good news, thank you very much, Mr CaseySJ.
But, concretely, how do you do this? We need to link what to what and what header is it? I'm sorry but I'm slightly (!) "dépassé" !!!
Simply click below to find 13 answers to this question in this thread! :)

Hi, can anyone confirm whether or not using Samsung 970 Evo will be a problem for non-system drives? I am planning to replace my 970 Evo system drive with a WD Black SN750 to avoid issues, but am wondering if I also need to replace my second 970 Evo that is used for data only. Any input appreciated!
I'm using a 970 Pro 1TB for all of my VSL stuff as well as the Logic Sound Library, but I'm using the HFS+ Journaled format. I use Samsung 860's for system drives.

I'm using a 970 Pro 1TB for all of my VSL stuff as well as the Logic Sound Library, but I'm using the HFS+ Journaled format. I use Samsung 860's for system drives.
Thanks, so not using trim is fine in your application since the data on the drive won’t change much?

In my case it’s a project drive with constantly changing data. I suppose there is no way around replacing it if I want reliability and longevity?

Thanks, so not using trim is fine in your application since the data on the drive won’t change much?

In my case it’s a project drive with constantly changing data. I suppose there is no way around replacing it if I want reliability and longevity?
I don't have problems using TRIM. I've had mine for a few years now. In OC, I have APFS trim timeout set to 4294967295. (see https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.316533/post-2285778)

I've been keeping an eye on things with the "Sensei" app. I've had no problems with the (non-Plus) 970 series, but I've been using them in HFS+ format and for sample library storage. That being said, when I purchased another PCIe SSD as a recording drive, I went with the SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB (just in case, and because it was on sale.) and formatted it HFS+. The M5 Multitronic Unit is setup for Pro Tools.

Ok, wowsers... I'm on Big Sur now (although, I still need to install the 11.6.1 point upgrade).

I sincerely wish I was more scientific with this so that I could help divulge exactly what it took, but it seems pretty clear nothing worked until I removed the intel/BT Kexts, and enabled the "NO-CNVW" aml.

I'll report back if I discover anything profound, but thank you as always for all the help!

Best,
J
Report back (for anyone interested).
Upgrading to Big Sur 11.6.0 from Catalina worked perfectly (no installer errors) when I install to a 2.5” SSD (as opposed to my Inland Premium m.2) so it looks like my living on the edge with this unsupported m.2 has finally come to an end. HOWEVER, I still had installer errors to update THAT to the 11.6.1 update, and (as before) removing the Intel WiFi/BT kexts, re-enabling the WiFi card blocker SSDT, and disabling WiFi in bios solved that. Perhaps it’s got something to do with secure boot model in OC, I dunno.

I will say Big Sur is a real PITA when it comes to allowing 3rd party extensions (BlackMagic Desktop Video, Avid sentinel, etc.), and I’ve noticed that disabling SIP in OC config doesn’t always stick and you gotta use the “Apple” method with Recovery mode.

One question: is there a best way to force rebuild the OS kext cache in Big Sur? I’ve tried a couple of methods (to get these 3rd party extensions working) but non of it seems as solid as the old Terminal commands or Clover’s kext Utility.

These issues are all over the internet with actual macs and Big Sur, so it’s not me, OC or my machine.

Thanks!
J

Back