Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Some questions and comments:
  • Are you using OpenCore 0.7.5?
  • Is BlueToolFixup.kext enabled in config.plist?
  • Probably best to post screenshot of OpenCore Configurator --> Kernel page. Just widen and heighten the window as needed so all columns and rows are visible.
  • Is Windows or Linux also installed on the same system?
Yes 0.7.5. (manual upgrade)
Yes. @CaseySJ I am using direct replica of your config.
Windows Yes and No. I have a W10 running on VMware Fusion.
I have attached the Kernel tab.

Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 15.22.16.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 15.22.16.png
    780.4 KB · Views: 32
Yes 0.7.5. (manual upgrade)
Yes. @CaseySJ I am using direct replica of your config.
Windows Yes and No. I have a W10 running on VMware Fusion.
I have attached the Kernel tab.

Thanks
Something to try, if you’ve not already done so:
  • Connect a USB keyboard and mouse. Some Apple Bluetooth devices can also be connected with USB to Lightning cable.
  • From the Bluetooth preferences window, unpair all three Apple Bluetooth devices.
  • Reboot and press Space at the OpenCore Boot Picker. Last option will be “Reset NVRAM”. Select that.
  • When system reboots and comes back to OpenCore boot picker, press and hold CTRL while selecting macOS boot disk. This will make macOS disk the default if it’s not the only disk in the system.
  • Now pair all three Apple Bluetooth devices directly to the Hack.
Do all of them connect and remain stable?

Glad to hear it!

Regarding Bluetooth:
  • Are you using a Fenvi FV-T919 or similar Broadcom-based module?
  • Are you instead using on-board Intel WiFi/BT?
  • In config.plist --> Kernel section, is BlueToolFixup enabled and configured correctly? If unsure, simply post a screenshot of OpenCore Configurator --> Kernel.
If you're on OpenCore 0.7.5 at this time, please ensure that OpenCore Configurator title bar says "OpenCore 0.7.5 Release Configuration".
Sorry for not specifying my bluetooth card, I'm using Broadcom BCM943602CS card with OC 0.7.5 and OpenCore Configurator 2.53.0.0 (0.7.5 Release Configuration).
BlueToolFixup, BrcmPatchRAM3 and BrcmFirmwareData kexts, coming from the zip file you provided (I think they're all 2.6.1 version, so I didn't replaced them from acidanthera's github release), they are activated in OC config.plist.

I have a GMYLE BCM20702 USB Bluetooth dongle, I will test with it if the bluetooth problem occurs or not.

Sorry for not specifying my bluetooth card, I'm using Broadcom BCM943602CS card with OC 0.7.5 and OpenCore Configurator 2.53.0.0 (0.7.5 Release Configuration).
BlueToolFixup, BrcmPatchRAM3 and BrcmFirmwareData kexts, coming from the zip file you provided (I think they're all 2.6.1 version, so I didn't replaced them from acidanthera's github release), they are activated in OC config.plist.

I have a GMYLE BCM20702 USB Bluetooth dongle, I will test with it if the bluetooth problem occurs or not.
In some cases moving the WiFi/BT card to another PCIe slot can help.

Something to try, if you’ve not already done so:
  • Connect a USB keyboard and mouse. Some Apple Bluetooth devices can also be connected with USB to Lightning cable.
  • From the Bluetooth preferences window, unpair all three Apple Bluetooth devices.
  • Reboot and press Space at the OpenCore Boot Picker. Last option will be “Reset NVRAM”. Select that.
  • When system reboots and comes back to OpenCore boot picker, press and hold CTRL while selecting macOS boot disk. This will make macOS disk the default if it’s not the only disk in the system.
  • Now pair all three Apple Bluetooth devices directly to the Hack.
Do all of them connect and remain stable?
Dear @CaseySJ ,
I really appreciate your support to whole community, and I envy your energy.
I have already done all except the Resetting the NVRAM part. I will do that tomorrow and will update the status. Resetting the NVRAM resolved the problems.
I have only one disk in that machine, so it is already default.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hey all,

I can finally move from Catalina to Big Sur at my shop, but I'm not having any luck getting the Big Sur standalone app installer to work. I've tried the 11.6 and 11.5.2 Big Sur gibMacOS downloads (as well as an older (16.4) version I've had saved). When I double-click the installer app, it launches, asks me to select my install drive, asks for my admin password, starts chugging along, then says "An error occurred loading the update." I also tried an older Big Sur installer (from another machine) and it actually went through the reboot, then chugged for 5 minutes, only to wind up with the same error (and a trashed boot drive).

I'm a devout follower of this thread, and on a fully functional z390 Designare with Mac OS 10.5.7 using Intel Wireless OC 0.7.5. I DO have my MISC/SECURITY set to "Disable."

I "think" I remember reading something this past year about needing to disable Read-Only on the install drive, but I can't find anything about that now. My assumption is my array of Big Sur installers (including the gibOS ones) are just corrupt. I AM installing to my normal internal boot volume which happens to be an Inland Premium m.2 (no issues thus far though), so I'm thinking about pulling my Inland m.2 and trying the install using my 2.5" SSD instead.

Any words of advice?

Thanks in advance,
J

I had the same problem with a Asus Z370-i with a i7-9700K could not get passed the "An error occurred loading the update." from 10.15 to 11.6.1
In may case I disabled the XMP for the RAM and left it at its default speed of 2666 instead of 3200 and then installer worked. I was just trying random things after 2 days off "An error occurred loading the update."

I had the same problem with a Asus Z370-i with a i7-9700K could not get passed the "An error occurred loading the update." from 10.15 to 11.6.1
In may case I disabled the XMP for the RAM and left it at its default speed of 2666 instead of 3200 and then installer worked. I was just trying random things after 2 days off "An error occurred loading the update."
Curious, okay, I'll try that, thanks.

Hey all,

I can finally move from Catalina to Big Sur at my shop, but I'm not having any luck getting the Big Sur standalone app installer to work. I've tried the 11.6 and 11.5.2 Big Sur gibMacOS downloads (as well as an older (16.4) version I've had saved). When I double-click the installer app, it launches, asks me to select my install drive, asks for my admin password, starts chugging along, then says "An error occurred loading the update." I also tried an older Big Sur installer (from another machine) and it actually went through the reboot, then chugged for 5 minutes, only to wind up with the same error (and a trashed boot drive).

I'm a devout follower of this thread, and on a fully functional z390 Designare with Mac OS 10.5.7 using Intel Wireless OC 0.7.5. I DO have my MISC/SECURITY set to "Disable."

I "think" I remember reading something this past year about needing to disable Read-Only on the install drive, but I can't find anything about that now. My assumption is my array of Big Sur installers (including the gibOS ones) are just corrupt. I AM installing to my normal internal boot volume which happens to be an Inland Premium m.2 (no issues thus far though), so I'm thinking about pulling my Inland m.2 and trying the install using my 2.5" SSD instead.

Any words of advice?

Thanks in advance,
J
Setting SecureBootModel to Disabled is correct so if the update still produces the error message then something else to try is setting SIP (csr-active-config in NVRAM section) to 0x67000000 as described here:

Curious, okay, I'll try that, thanks.
Interesting. Let us know if simply disabling XMP Memory Profile fixes the problem. This can be turned back on after the update is fully installed.

Back