Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Please see this article regarding trim behavior with various NVMe SSDs:

@CaseySJ

I hadn't read the article until today. It looks like the trim issue has been recognized since April and pre-Monterey? It's surprising it hadn't cropped up for me with the Saumsung 970 EVO on the Designare Z390 until around Monterey beta 6.

It's apparently time to repurpose the 970 EVO or stick with Big Sur until forced to upgrade.

Would you publish a mini-guide on the issue with recommended NVMe SSDs for Monterey and beyond to centralize information?

Thanks as always for your support!

Please see this article regarding trim behavior with various NVMe SSDs:
That's interesting to read....

After the fresh install I did and loading all my files and folders, enabling emails, etc on my hackintosh, boot times seems to be taking longer again... so maybe your theory was right.

I have a spare WD Black SN750 (that was using on a Thunderbolt external enclosure), I think will swap it with my system boot disk (samsung m.2)

Would you publish a mini-guide
Mini-Guide: "Don't buy Samsung 960/970 Evo/Pro SSDs for use as a macOS boot drive."

I've followed this thread for the last 3 years, Casey has always suggested SSDs other than Samsung for use as your hackintosh boot drive. It's already stated many places in this thread. It looks as though the proprietary Polaris/Phoenix controllers made by Samsung and their trim implementation is the cause of these problems.

Screen Shot 8.jpg

Last edited:
** OpenCore 0.7.5 EFI for Designare Z390 **
Supports Mojave, Catalina, Big Sur, and Monterey
Please do not quote this post in its entirely. Use a link instead.​

Should we still expect a release of this EFI on Hackindrom? If not, I'll bite the bullet and do the manual upgrade.

edit: I've become rather partial to how easy Hackindrom makes this process, especially helpful when I'm swamped with work :)

Mini-Guide: "Don't buy Samsung 960/970 Evo/Pro SSDs for use as a macOS boot drive."

I've followed this thread for the last 3 years, Casey has always suggested SSDs other than Samsung for use as your hackintosh boot drive. It's already stated many places in this thread. It looks as though the proprietary Polaris/Phoenix controllers made by Samsung and their trim implementation is the cause of these problems.

View attachment 533138

When I built my Designare Z390 in September 2019, I don't believe CaseySJ was recommending other than any Samsung. There were problems with the 970 EVO Plus at one time. Casey SJ wrote "970 EVO and 970 EVO Pro are okay" when I built. He has subsequently changed his recommendations based on user experiences and lined through NOTE 5a on his post #1:

NOTE 5a: The Samsung 970 EVO Plus has a known firmware issue that prevents it from working correctly. Avoid the Samsung 970 EVO Plus, but standard 970 EVO and 970 EVO Pro are okay. UPDATE: May 2019: Samsung has issued a firmware update for the EVO Plus that finally fixes the problem. It is necessary to either (a) use Samsung's Magiciansoftware in Windows or (b) create a self-booting USB flash disk to update the firmware. Thanks to @mobi and @Ploddlesfor the tip.

My experience has been my 970 EVO was performing well since September 2019. Around Monterey Beta 6, if using boot time is the indicator of a problem, then I have a problem with my 970 EVO.

With hackintoshing there is no real "future proofing." So what NVMe SSD brands and models would currently be recommended for Monterey 12.0.1, knowing that things could change with Monterey 12.x?

I don't believe CaseySJ was recommending other than any Samsung.
Casey has always suggested SSDs other than Samsung for use as your hackintosh boot drive.
What I was trying to say is that they've never been part of Casey's Components list in post #1 of this guide. I interpret that as recommending drives other than Samsung for your boot drive. When following anyone's guide I always prefer to use the same hardware that they have tested and found to work trouble free.

Last edited:
My experience has been my 970 EVO was performing well since September 2019. Around Monterey Beta 6, if using boot time is the indicator of a problem, then I have a problem with my 970 EVO.
And this is with the Samsung firmware fix mentioned in the note?
Is it enough to just turn off trim support? How much of a difference does that make?

OK. Good to know I have the Aorus Master with Alpine Ridge. I got the Designare as backup according your statement…No audio pops, bitcrush or similar? The symphony connects fine as well after sleep?
No pops etc.; I would never sleep an audio computer so don't know. I can start it before or after boot no problem.

Should we still expect a release of this EFI on Hackindrom? If not, I'll bite the bullet and do the manual upgrade.

edit: I've become rather partial to how easy Hackindrom makes this process, especially helpful when I'm swamped with work :)
Glad you brought this up!

I was at my favorite coffee shop the other day and luckily I had earned a free coffee because of their policy that makes every 10th visit free.

This triggered an evil reverse thought.

We have provided probably 9 OpenCore freebies with HackinDROM, so the 10th one should not be free!

So with the release of Monterey and OpenCore 0.7.5, we would like to get back to basics with the manual approach. It's a good opportunity to reacquaint ourselves with some of the OpenCore configuration details so we can become a little more comfortable with the process.

So in conclusion:
  • Let's upgrade to OpenCore 0.7.5 using the manual method.
  • We'll get back to HackinDROM next month with OpenCore 0.7.6.

Last edited:
Would you publish a mini-guide on the issue with recommended NVMe SSDs for Monterey and beyond to centralize information?
Good idea.

** Monterey Users: NVMe SSDs to Avoid **
Please do not quote this post in its entirety as contents are subject to change.
Post a link instead.

Although this applies to all versions of macOS, it is particularly applicable to Monterey users because of the sudden onslaught of trim-related issues.

Avoid installing macOS on the following NVMe M.2 SSDs:
  • Samsung 970, 970 Plus, 970 Pro
  • Samsung 980, 980 Pro
  • Crucial P2 NVMe SSD (just P2 series)
Problems can occur on the following drives that may lead to catastrophic data loss under heavy load:
  • Sabrent Rocket PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Although some folks suggest it's okay to use these as data drives, we should note that without functioning trim support in macOS, the drive's overall lifespan and write-speed can be reduced.

References:
The TRIM command enables an operating system to notify the SSD of pages which no longer contain valid data. For a file deletion operation, the operating system will mark the file's sectors as free for new data, then send a TRIM command to the SSD. After trimming, the SSD will not preserve any contents of the block when writing new data to a page of flash memory, resulting in less write amplification (fewer writes), higher write throughput (no need for a read-erase-modify sequence), thus increasing drive life.

P.S. This post will not include a list of known-good drives. If problems are reported on other drives, those drives will be added to the "do not use" list above.

Last edited:
Back