Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ--
I've updated my OC from 0.6.5 to 0.7.4, and did an in-place upgrade from Big Sur to Monterey. To restore BT function (I use a BT dongle) I installed BlueToolFixup.kext (July version) that I found in another forum. I'm sure there is one here, probably newer, but I only did a quick search and didn't find it.

EDIT--I now see that BlueToolFixup.kext 2.6.1 is included in the 0.7.5 package. I have just installed the new version into my EFI folder (not the EFI folder attached to this post).

Z390 Aorus Pro, BIOS F12K (next-to-latest version)
unflashed GA Alpine Ridge v2, attached to RP21

I did the 0.7.4 update by starting with your EFI folder, then copying items from my 0.6.5 folder that I thought I needed. would you be kind enough to review my EFI folder and see if there is extraneous stuff in it (likely) or if something is missing.

thanks

Ken
The configuration looks good. I've made a couple of changes:
  • Disabled kernel patches for F1/F2 brightness function keys. These patches may cause problems and should be disabled now.
  • Remove -v (verbose) from boot arguments. At OpenCore Picker we can press and release CMD-V to toggle verbose mode.

Attachments

• config.plist
    31 KB · Views: 62
@steve3d
I confirm random freezes (e.g. when using a USB stick) and Thunderbolt problems (e.g. external devices are not recognized) under macOS Big Sur 11.6 (20G165) with BIOS F9j.
No random freezes and no Thunderbolt problems under macOS Monterey 12.0.1 (21A559).

The configuration looks good. I've made a couple of changes:
  • Disabled kernel patches for F1/F2 brightness function keys. These patches may cause problems and should be disabled now.
  • Remove -v (verbose) from boot arguments. At OpenCore Picker we can press and release CMD-V to toggle verbose mode.
Great--thanks!!

Ken

With OC 075 and my system, the UAD Apollo 8 with hot swap still works. It's also working fine with Big Sur or Monterey. Has anyone dared to update the BIOS to F9j?

@NCMacGuy,

Very helpful. I was hoping that just erasing the disk and recovering it from a full backup would be sufficient to clear the slow boot time problem, and you’ve demonstrated that this is indeed the case.
I erased the disk (NVMe Crucial 1Tb) and did a fresh (clean) install of 12.0.1.
First "re" boot: 18 "
Second "re" boot: much the same..
This morning (in France !!) new "re" boot and 35 ", second "re"boot this morning and 44" !!
EDIT : EFI partition information shows 53.5MB usage while its contents are actually only 25.7 ... (?)
With a SATA Samsung SSD840 EVO, (CCC of the NVME) : 18" always..
NVMe problem with Monterey ?

Last edited:
I have been using an ACPI patch I picked up in this thread for activating egpu on Z390 since Mojave up to Big Sur: SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-EGPU-NO-HOTPLUG.aml.

Sadly, it doesn't work anymore in Monterey (since beta 8). Is there an update?
Let's go, @CaseySJ !

Monterey has introduced a handful of incompatibilities. For eGPUs it would be good to trying enabling CSM Support in BIOS. Another option would be to temporarily try a newer BIOS.

If these steps don’t help, then it may be necessary to consider flashing the Titan Ridge firmware. But this step should not be taken lightly.

I erased the disk (NVME Crucial 1To) and did a fresh (clean) install of 12.0.1.
First "re" boot: 18 "
Second "re" boot: much the same..
This morning (in France !!) new "re" boot and 35 ", second "re"boot this morning and 44" !!
EDIT : EFI partition information shows 53.5MB usage while its contents are actually only 25.7 ... (?)
With a Sata Samsung SSD840 EVO, (CCC of the NVME) : 18" always..
NVME problem with Monterey ?
Please see this article regarding trim behavior with various NVMe SSDs:

Back