Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I reinstalled MacOS Monterey 12.0.1 (21A559) on an external Thunderbolt Samsung NVMe 970 EVO (in a Yottamaster Thunderbolt 3 case) . The boot behavior has improved significantly compared to before.

Last edited:

@Kalypso478

re you sure the latest f9j, works perfectly on Z390 Designare with Monterey? f9j will cause random freeze on Big Sur 11.4 and later version.

I've experienced this kind of random freeze on both Z390 Designare and Z390 Aorus Master.
Works for me with Big Sur 11.6 (20G165) and Monterey 12.0.1 (21A559) as I stated above.
In the other BIOS versions (like F9g or F9i from Elias64FR) I would miss the Risizable Bar Support selection in BIOS.
No random freezes yet, but I like to test if you tell me how to find out.

Last edited:
Do let us know if SIP refuses to cooperate.
Casey,

I found the way around SIP protection for time being but I'm not sure that the changes I made in optencore 0.7.3 (replacing csr-active-config value from 00000000 to E7030000) worked properly. The crsutil status still shows 'enabled'.

Catalina 10.15.7
Opencore Configurator ver. 0.7.3

Thanks

Casey,

I found the way around SIP protection for time being but I'm not sure that the changes I made in optencore 0.7.3 (replacing csr-active-config value from 00000000 to E7030000) worked properly. The crsutil status still shows 'enabled'.

Catalina 10.15.7
Opencore Configurator ver. 0.7.3

Thanks
Two other suggestions:
  • Set csr-active-config to FF0F0000
or
  • At OpenCore Boot Picker, press spacebar to reveal additional options. One of them will be Toggle SIP.

@CaseySJ

I'm using z390 aorus master, latest bios f11n, it have the same random freeze problem with bigsur 11.4, now I've using f11n with resizable bar option on monterey for an hour, no freeze.

maybe you can also try f9j on z390 designare, I'll try this version tomorrow when I back to office.

Two other suggestions:
  • Set csr-active-config to FF0F0000
or
  • At OpenCore Boot Picker, press spacebar to reveal additional options. One of them will be Toggle SIP.
Toggle SIP worked! Thanks!

@CaseySJ I encountered 1 little issue; at the OpenCore Picker, it now selects Windows by default, even if I push Control+selection of OS. It seems it doesnt remebers it.
@joostiphone -

I think you have to select your MacOS drive in the Settings > Startup Disk, then it should be set as default in the picker. If that doesn't work, reset the NVRAM, then select the Startup Disk in Settings.

And if that doesn't work, then reset the CMOS, reset the NVRAM, then select the Startup Disk.

And if that doesn't work, I'm out of ideas!

I will try this when i get a chance, i have an extenal TB m2 EVO Plus 1T, can i reformat then use CCC to clone internal, then copy over EFI and test and be good ? Then if times are good reverse the process?

Last edited:
Back