Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Updated OpenCore to version 0.7.5 in my MacPro7,1 running macOS Monterey 12.0.1 in my main 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe drive with no issues at all. Everything is working as expected, the same as with 0.7.4, including the long boot time I'm experiencing with the Samsung drive.

My EFI folder has been updated with the new bootlader, OCBynaryData resources and kernel extensions.

OpenCore v0.7.5​

https://github.com/acidanthera/OpenCorePkg/releases/tag/0.7.5

The usual link only offers the source code download, but I've been able to download the compiled release version from here:

https://dortania.github.io/builds/?...&sha=eab5149cbc63f443149f25211ebfb0b9bbd7f1ed

This is the changelog:
  • Revised OpenLinuxBoot documentation
  • Supported Linux ostree boot layout
  • Fixed external drive icons for Boot Entry Protocol
  • Added GPU Resize BAR quirks to reduce BARs on per-OS basis
  • Fixed OpenLinuxBoot hang bug after correct detection of some distros
  • Added DMG signature check during download, thx @jspraul and @zhangyoufu
  • Updated builtin firmware versions for SMBIOS and the rest
  • Updated recovery downloading commands to include macOS 11 and 12

OCBinaryData​

https://github.com/acidanthera/OcBinaryData
  • Drivers > only HfsPlus.efi
  • Resources > All folders

AppleALC v1.6.6​

https://github.com/acidanthera/AppleALC/releases/tag/1.6.6
  • Added ALC256 layout-id 24 for Intel NUC NUC10i5FNH by Andres ZeroCross
  • Added Conexant CX11970 (CX8400) layout-id 13 for Acer Swift 3 SF31* (Ice Lake) by m0d16l14n1
  • Added ALCS1200A layout-id 7 for B550M Gaming Carbon WIFI by Kila2
  • Try to solve wake up mute for GP75 9SD by Win7GM
  • Added ALC256 layout-id 33 for Huawei Matebook D15 MRC-W10 by im1ke
  • Added ALC892 layout-id 23 for ASRock B365 Pro4 by TheHackGuy
  • Fixed ALC221 layout-id 11 for HP6300/8300 rear line-in jack by adding DSP functions by aloha-cn

WhateverGreen v1.5.5​

https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/releases/tag/1.5.5
  • Changed the default delay of optimizing display data buffer allocations from 0 to 1 second to fix the issue that both internal and external displays flicker on some Ice Lake-based laptops. (Thanks @m0d16l14n1)
  • Disabled the black screen fix on Ice Lake platforms as it is only applicable to SKL/KBL/CFL/CML platforms.
  • Disabled the force complete modeset submodule on Ice Lake platforms as HDMI/DVI connections are not supported by the driver.
  • Added AMD Radeon RX 5000 series PWM backlight control support. (Thanks to @kingo132)

LiLu v1.5.7​

https://github.com/acidanthera/Lilu/releases/tag/1.5.7
  • Added address slot support for all 64-bit macOS version

Compared my config.plist with the sample.plist from new version with OCConfigCompare command shows only two new missing entries:

Captura de pantalla 2021-11-01 a las 20.14.40 copia.png

And I've copied both using PlistEditor, mi favourite plist file editor.

First Booter > Quirks > ResizeAppleGPUBars

Captura de pantalla 2021-11-01 a las 20.15.53.png

And then UEFI > Quirks > ResizeGPUBars

Captura de pantalla 2021-11-01 a las 20.16.40.png

After a reboot, everything is working OK and on the bottom right corner I'm seeing the correct release and date REL-075-2021-11-01

01192535.png

:)

I currently running Mojave w/the exact components Casey initially spec'd on this build. I have 64GB of ram.

My question for @CaseySJ and/or the other talented people present here.. from a stability, ease of upgrade, post build performance. Would it be better to do a clean install of Catalina or Big Sur?
Good question. In Mojave it is possible to run both 32-bit and 64-bit applications and plug-ins. Catalina, however, drew a line in the sand. It no longer allowed 32-bit apps. Because of this, my personal advise is this:

If you are upgrading from Mojave to Big Sur or Monterey, I personally think it would be best to start fresh.

Given how affordable SATA and NVMe SSDs have become, we can install a fresh copy of Big Sur or Monterey on a separate SATA or NVMe SSD. Then we can install all of our Apps and Plug-Ins one-by-one. This ensures the following:
  • No legacy baggage from years of previous upgrades will be carried forward.
  • No incompatible 32-bit apps or plug-ins will be installed.
There are some things to keep in mind, however:
  • Avoid using "Migration Assistant" because it can carry forward a lot of legacy baggage that we're explicitly try to avoid.
  • Some apps and plug-ins that permit only one "license activation" may need to be deregistered/deactivated first. Then those apps and plug-ins can be installed and reactivated on the new OS.
  • All data files and folders can be copied manually using the Finder.
When the new disk is fully set up we can do this:
  • Make a full backup of the old internal SSD.
  • Erase the old disk. Then clone the new disk to the old (internal) SSD.
  • Boot from the internal SSD.

** Reminder **

OpenCore 0.7.5 EFI for Designare Z390 is available here:

i would really like to get back my 32 seconds of boot time... i know it seems like not much but that's a lot of time in PC numbers... is there a thought on how to correct this? Has it been determined to be Samsung specific??
Slow boot times have been reported primarily on Samsung NVMe SSDs. One report, however, was on Sabrent Rocket (about 26 seconds).

Some options:
  • Try OpenCore 0.7.5 (likelihood of fix: low)
  • @yosoyoco performed a clean install, which seems to fix the problem at least for now (click here)
  • Wait for Acidanthera to develop a workaround in OpenCore (no guarantee)
  • Clone the Samsung NVMe SSD to a different brand NVMe SSD and use that instead (the Samsung NVMe SSD can be kept for future backup purposes)

** Beta Testers Wanted for OpenCore 0.7.5 **
Gigabyte Z390 Designare

Purpose:
Before the OpenCore 0.7.5 mini-guide is published, I would like to enlist the help of some beta testers who own Z390 Designare. If you are running Catalina, Big Sur, or Monterey, please consider testing the attached OpenCore 0.7.5 EFI folder.

Windows Users:
If you are unable to boot Windows through OpenCore, try disabling AppleVTD by following the bottom half of this post.

Things to Test or Check:
  • Any OCS or other warnings before OpenCore picker appears?​
  • Does Catalina, Big Sur, or Monterey boot properly?​
  • Does Bluetooth work? Can you enable and disable Bluetooth?​
  • Does Bluetooth work if you (a) boot into Windows and then (b) boot into macOS without doing a cold start?​
  • If you use "Resizable BAR Support" in Windows, try enabling that in BIOS and check if macOS boots properly.​
If you would like to volunteer, please do the following:
  • Download appropriate ZIP file and follow these instructions to configure config.plist.
  • Copy EFI folder to EFI partition of USB flash disk and boot from USB flash disk.
  • Ensure that REL-075-xxx appears on bottom right corner of OpenCanopy Picker.
Catalina Users:
  • Set SecureBootModel to Disabled.
Which File to Download:
  • Broadcom WiFi/BT (such as Fenvi FV-T919) --> OC-075-DESIGNARE-Z390.zip
  • Intel WiFi/BT --> OC-075-DESIGNARE-Z390-INTEL-WIRELESS.zip

When reporting issues or successes, please include the version of MacOS you used.

Just installed OpenCore 0.7.5 and everything seems to be working fine on my Z390 Aorus Xtreme... well except the long boot (but already had before the upgrade)

Tempted to make a fresh install to see if I solve my long boot period... can I follow your mini-guide "Quick-Guide for Fresh Installation of macOS 10.16 Big Sur" But using my Opencore 0.7.5 EFI folder and using Montrey installer instead?

Just installed OpenCore 0.7.5 and everything seems to be working fine on my Z390 Aorus Xtreme... well except the long boot (but already had before the upgrade)
Glad to hear it!

Tempted to make a fresh install to see if I solve my long boot period... can I follow your mini-guide "Quick-Guide for Fresh Installation of macOS 10.16 Big Sur" But using my Opencore 0.7.5 EFI folder and using Montrey installer instead?
Certainly.

** Beta Testers Wanted for OpenCore 0.7.5 **
Gigabyte Z390 Designare

Things to Test or Check:
  • Any OCS or other warnings before OpenCore picker appears?​
  • Does Catalina, Big Sur, or Monterey boot properly?​
  • Does Bluetooth work? Can you enable and disable Bluetooth?​
  • Does Bluetooth work if you (a) boot into Windows and then (b) boot into macOS without doing a cold start?​
  • If you use "Resizable BAR Support" in Windows, try enabling that in BIOS and check if macOS boots properly.​

@CaseySJ

Using your (originally posted) OC 0.7.5 EFI folder, with both Big Sur 11.6.1 and Monterey 12.0.1 everything works as expected. I'm using the Fenvi WiFi/BT card.

I did boot Windows 10 then warm booted into both Monterey and Big Sur and BT worked fine. I do not use "Resizable BAR Support" in Windows.

Looks like I can safely upgrade my working EFI with your OC 0.7.5. :)

Glad to hear it!

Certainly.

Fresh install of Monterey with OpenCore 0.7.5 performed without any problems... just like a real Mac.... and the best part is:

kernel: (apfs) spaceman_scan_free_blocks:3153: disk5 scan took 4.706892 s, trims took 4.686074 s

Thank you @CaseySJ!

Fresh install of Monterey with OpenCore 0.7.5 performed without any problems... just like a real Mac.... and the best part is:

kernel: (apfs) spaceman_scan_free_blocks:3153: disk5 scan took 4.706892 s, trims took 4.686074 s

Thank you @CaseySJ!
Now we have 2 data points regarding this solution, namely:
  • Samsung NVMe users experiencing very long boot times could try a fresh install of Monterey.
  • But we don't know how long it will be before boot time increases again!

Now we have 2 data points regarding this solution, namely:
  • Samsung NVMe users experiencing very long boot times could try a fresh install of Monterey.
  • But we don't know how long it will be before boot time increases again!
I would add the following question:

- What caused the bug during upgrade from Big Sur to Monterey?

Anyway I'll keep you updated if I notice any change in boot time. For now it's perfect :)

Back