Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Just ran across this post:
You may need WhateverGreen 1.2.8 to fix kernel panic with Kaby Lake and 10.14.4.

Thanks but I have i9900K I think this is CoffeeLake right? And I am already using the latest version of WEG.

Anyway I used these settings and I can boot without any problem with IGPU but I choose these settings and set to primary GPU;

But when I tried these settings I am getting kernel panic. I must learn how to set up the headless mode.

Everything working here now with 10.14.4!

For h.264 encoding, I ended up using shikigva=60 boot flag as other users here. Just tested a live streaming to Vimeo, 10k video bitrate over ethernet >>> flawless with plenty of headroom on my i9-9900k to run other things during broadcasting.

Only thing I noticed, my Geekbench Metal Score got a little worse (it was around 143k and now is 138k). Adobe Media Encoder got some more seconds to render same content I used to test.

Anyways, thanks Casey and everyone here sharing experiences :)

Thanks but I have i9900K I think this is CoffeeLake right? And I am already using the latest version of WEG.
In one of your previous posts you attempted to use Kaby Lake platform ID and device ID, hence my reply.

Anyway I used these settings and I can boot without any problem with IGPU but I choose these settings and set to primary GPU;

View attachment 398481

View attachment 398482

View attachment 398483

View attachment 398485

But when I tried these settings I am getting kernel panic. I must learn how to set up the headless mode.

View attachment 398486
In order to set headless mode:
  • BIOS --> IGFX --> Enabled.
  • BIOS --> Initial Display Output --> PCIe Slot <N>.
  • Platform ID 0x3E980003 for 10.14.4.
  • Device-id (do not specify) for 10.14.4. Just delete "device-id" parameter.
  • Delete all of the framebuffer-con* parameters. The IGPU will not display video, so no video connectors should be specified.
  • Sysdef = Macmini8,1 or iMac18,3

hi CaseySJ,
i am doing the installation and can't erase the target Mojave disk. in disk utility there is 2 disk showing up:
my usb (with Install macOS mojave as partition) and an other "apple disk image media". when i try to erase the install mac os, it say "couldnt unmount disk". if i try to unmount it first, it refure to unmount.
The other disk isnt available to be erased.
What should i do?

hi CaseySJ,
i am doing the installation and can't erase the target Mojave disk. in disk utility there is 2 disk showing up:
my usb (with Install macOS mojave as partition) and an other "apple disk image media". when i try to erase the install mac os, it say "couldnt unmount disk". if i try to unmount it first, it refure to unmount.
The other disk isnt available to be erased.
What should i do?
Do not erase the "Install MacOS" disk because that is your USB install disk.

What disks are listed under Internal on the left side of Disk Utility?

Do not erase any disks under External.

not erasing external make sense, got it.
In internal are listed all my hard drives (2 HDD, 2 SSD, 1 nvme) and nothing else. i displayed "show all devices"

i installed 10.14.4

Hi @CaseySJ , so if I update to 10.14.4 do I need to change the platform ID or will it work straightforward with the previous build? (iMacPro 1,1)

Hi @CaseySJ , so if I update to 10.14.4 do I need to change the platform ID or will it work straightforward with the previous build? (iMacPro 1,1)
Hello @xanderevo, I believe you are using your iGPU with iMacPro1,1. If so, you can change platform ID to 0x3E980003 after 10.14.4 has been installed. And you should delete “device-id”.

First of all, thanks Casey for the fantastic guide and continued support! Finally convinced me to upgrade the old Z68 2600K system!

After two attempts I've been able to get the system up and running with headless IGPU functionality (H264 and HEVC working).

However I seem to be having two issues. Firstly, just before loading the login screen, the fans seem to rev up to really high (and noisy) speeds for a second or two. Secondly, the system only goes to sleep for a few seconds before it wakes itself up (again with high/noisy fans ). Any thoughts as to what may be causing this?

I can confirm that the MOTU 16A also works with the apple tb3->tb2 adapter. Which makes me very happy, because it was kind of a risk building this system. But I just finished it and everything seems to work. Thanks very much for your extensive post and work!

Back