1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
but that is the fun of hackintoshing
Many of our users are audio, video, and photo professionals. For them the Hackintosh is a business tool. Its modularity allows them to build something tailored to their needs, that meets both power and cost considerations. Downtime is not a luxury they can afford. They won’t update every month, but they will update with some regularity to avoid getting too far behind.

The enthusiast and the hacker, however, might skip the easy route and avoid HackinDROM. That is always their choice.

HackinDROM, in other words, gives us options. It does not remove choice, but provides a choice that would not otherwise exist.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900KF
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
In a way it is good to see a lot of posts when HackinDROM does *not* start up because it shows how much we are counting on it.
Negative feedbacks are always welcome, only with that I can improve the app!

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9 9900k
Graphics
RX480
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Performa
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
  4. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
HackinDROM (both the App and website) has become indispensable for many of us because of the monthly OpenCore updates. Imagine how much harder and error-prone our Hackintosh lives would be if every one of us had to manually update our EFI folders every month and deal with schema changes, new parameters, removed parameters, changed behavior of existing parameters, new EFI drivers, new kernel extensions, new OpenCanopy resources, and the list goes on.

In a way it is good to see a lot of posts when HackinDROM does *not* start up because it shows how much we are counting on it.
I normally leave bootloaders alone for a long time, unless there's real progress. I clung to Clover for a long time. Why change bootloaders if they just work?
With OC it is the same as with Apple, fast forward all the time.
I have upgraded to OC 0.7.4/MacOS 11.6 so I can upgrade Logic Pro X to the latest version. When everything is stable again, which unfortunately is not yet the case, I will not upgrade OS or bootloader for the next 2 years or so.

I appreciate the work everybody puts in, my Hack works well enough to get work done. Thank you very much.

But I don't appreciate the frantic pace of updates and upgrades and changes that I don't care about, the make it easy for my mother-in-law stuff. I need a rock-steady and potent workstation for producing media. But Apple wants more mother-in-laws buying their stuff.

Motherboard
Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX580 Pulse
Finally getting around to switching to OC. Could you explain the difference in these bios files?

Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 12.49.25 PM.png

Do I need to worry about the ones from Elias64Fr? My Z390 isn't flashed with custom TB firmware.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Finally getting around to switching to OC. Could you explain the difference in these bios files?

View attachment 530450

Do I need to worry about the ones from Elias64Fr? My Z390 isn't flashed with custom TB firmware.
In BIOS F9j, Gigabyte included a patched microcode for the Intel CPU that addresses a couple of security vulnerabilities. Elias extracted this new microcode and surgically implanted it into our F9i BIOS.

If you choose to install the modified BIOS, you must first install the OFFICIAL F9i BIOS. Failure to do so will brick the motherboard.

It is also okay to stick with the unmodified F9i BIOS.

Motherboard
Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX580 Pulse
In BIOS F9j, Gigabyte included a patched microcode for the Intel CPU that addresses a couple of security vulnerabilities. Elias extracted this new microcode and surgically implanted it into our F9i BIOS.

If you choose to install the modified BIOS, you must first install the OFFICIAL F9i BIOS. Failure to do so will brick the motherboard.

It is also okay to stick with the unmodified F9i BIOS.
Thank you! One more question for now (I was just editing my original post but saw your reply).

It looks like HackinDROM doesn't work with Mojave. Do you recommend going to manual route to switch to OC and then update OS to use HackinDROM?

It says it works on 10.15 and above, but I'm on 10.14.6 of course.

Also:
  • File on left is for Broadcom WiFi/BT (4.5 MB).
  • File on right is for Intel WiFi/BT (51 MB).
Which one do I need?

EDIT: Did some more reading, I think I need the Broadcom one since I'm not using the onboard intel wifi card :).

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thank you! One more question for now (I was just editing my original post but saw your reply).

It looks like HackinDROM doesn't work with Mojave. Do you recommend going to manual route to switch to OC and then update OS to use HackinDROM?

It says it works on 10.15 and above, but I'm on 10.14.6 of course.
Yes; switching manually to OpenCore is recommended if you're on Mojave. This will provide a lot of good lessons that will come in handy later. Create the OpenCore configuration in the EFI partition of a USB flash drive and test it that way (press F12 at Gigabyte splash screen and select USB disk from BIOS Boot Menu). Confirm that it can boot Mojave. Please follow the Clover to OpenCore Transition Guide.

Also:
  • File on left is for Broadcom WiFi/BT (4.5 MB).
  • File on right is for Intel WiFi/BT (51 MB).
Which one do I need?
  • If you have a Broadcom WiFi/BT card such as Fenvi FV-T919, use the file on left.
    • This one is recommended.
  • If you're using the on-board Intel CNVi WiFi/BT module, use the file on right.
    • Use only if you understand the limitations of the current OpenIntelWireless project.