Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I'm currently on BIOS F9b with CFG unlocked.
Do I need to update to F9i to install BigSur? Is there any benefits of doing so?
In this case it’s not necessary to update BIOS.

You’re well prepared to begin the in-place upgrade to Big Sur. As always, let us know if you run into any difficulties, but it should be a smooth process.

Thanks. Just did the upgrade and it seems like everything is good so far!

In preparation for the BigSur update, I updated from OpenCore 0.6.0 to 0.7.3, using the provided EFI folder from your 0.7.3 mini-guide, minus OpenUsbKbDxe.efi.

After this update, I've had some events of graphical glitches during boot (pink horizontal lines), which lead to a very slow boot progress bar, followed by no-display output.

I've also noticed sleep/wake-up issues: The computer did not sleep properly (the motherboard and fans LEDs were still lit up) and also wouldn't come back.

Can you guys please help me diagnose this? Where do I start?

In preparation for the BigSur update, I updated from OpenCore 0.6.0 to 0.7.3, using the provided EFI folder from your 0.7.3 mini-guide, minus OpenUsbKbDxe.efi.

After this update, I've had some events of graphical glitches during boot (pink horizontal lines), which lead to a very slow boot progress bar, followed by no-display output.

I've also noticed sleep/wake-up issues: The computer did not sleep properly (the motherboard and fans LEDs were still lit up) and also wouldn't come back.

Can you guys please help me diagnose this? Where do I start?
Some questions:
  • Does Catalina work properly with OpenCore 0.7.3? Does it sleep and wake normally? Are there any pink lines during boot?
  • Was HackinDROM used to update OpenCore from 0.6.0 to 0.7.3?
  • In the EFI/OC/Kexts folder, right-click on WhateverGreen.kext and select “Get Info”. What is the version number?
  • Are you using the iGPU exclusively? Are there any other GPUs in the system?
  • In BIOS, is “Internal Graphics” set to “Enabled” (not “Auto”)?
  • Did you select config-Intel-iGPU.plist?

@CaseySJ Can I use the Fractal R6 SSDT from post #1 on OpenCore 0.7.3 SSDT section here?
Screen Shot 2021-10-03 at 21.41.35.png

Some questions:
  • Does Catalina work properly with OpenCore 0.7.3? Does it sleep and wake normally? Are there any pink lines during boot?
  • Was HackinDROM used to update OpenCore from 0.6.0 to 0.7.3?
  • In the EFI/OC/Kexts folder, right-click on WhateverGreen.kext and select “Get Info”. What is the version number?
  • Are you using the iGPU exclusively? Are there any other GPUs in the system?
  • In BIOS, is “Internal Graphics” set to “Enabled” (not “Auto”)?
  • Did you select config-Intel-iGPU.plist?
  • No. I'm still in Catalina. I'm preparing for BigSur update, haven't done yet.
  • No, HackinDROM wasn't loading up. I simply used your EFI and disable one drive, as pointed by you.
  • I'm using an RX580.
  • I'll double-check BIOS and post back in a while. BIOS says "Internal Graphics" as "Enabled"
  • I've used the config.plist for AMD GPU.
My monitor is connected through DB cable, directly to the GPU.

EDIT: Telling macOS to manually sleep did put the Motherboard into sleep state, and then hitting the keyboard did make it light up again, but it didn't wake the display. Computer would also not respond to ping (at it usually does)

EDIT2: HackinDROM still doesn't load up. Icon appears on the top menu bar, but if I click it, it dies. Running it through iTerm2 shows a nasty Segmentation Fault at the time of the crash

EDIT3: @CaseySJ Updated my first response, regarding Catalina. I did misread it initially.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if any other members here are using this set up with Ableton 11 and how has your experience been?

I am on OC 0.7.3 with the standard config from this thread/hackindrom and running Big Sur 11.6. 9900k, RX 580, thunderbolt 3 interface(Focusrite Claret 8pre), 2 x 4k monitors

I am having the following problems:

• GUI lag, this is particularly noticeable in Ableton, devices graphics will be laggy and even the playhead is lagging when going across the screen. Gui lag also extended to Mac OS at random times
  • CPU overload and crackles on not very large projects, when adding new tracks
It's hard to determine if it's the Hackintosh, Ableton or Big Sur but I have tried a fresh install of Ableton 11 with no plugins, I've also tried the 11.1 Ableton beta and these issues persist.
Check activity monitor while you have Ableton open. I’m going to guess your graphics card usage is high. Seems to be an issue with Ableton and hacks. I use 2 4k screens and when I use Ableton my 5700xt just gets crushed. Don’t know why. Pro tools, Cubase both work fine. My workaround is to lower my screen resolutions to 1080p when in Ableton and things work ok, and the crackling goes away. Maybe it’s a bandwidth thing when the graphics get pinned.

Check activity monitor while you have Ableton open. I’m going to guess your graphics card usage is high. Seems to be an issue with Ableton and hacks. I use 2 4k screens and when I use Ableton my 5700xt just gets crushed. Don’t know why. Pro tools, Cubase both work fine. My workaround is to lower my screen resolutions to 1080p when in Ableton and things work ok, and the crackling goes away. Maybe it’s a bandwidth thing when the graphics get pinned.
Also, try to stick with a buffer of 128 and use standard sample rates of 96, 88.1, 48, or 44.1 KHz and make sure that your system is using that same sample rate: Utilities<. Turn off unused services like Bluetooth and WiFi. If you have other apps open that use or make noises, make sure those sample rates match as well or quit that app while using a DAW.

Attachments

• Avoiding Audio Problems in a DAW.png
    Avoiding Audio Problems in a DAW.png
    170.8 KB · Views: 53
  • No. I'm still in Catalina. I'm preparing for BigSur update, haven't done yet.
  • No, HackinDROM wasn't loading up. I simply used your EFI and disable one drive, as pointed by you.
  • I'm using an RX580.
  • I'll double-check BIOS and post back in a while. BIOS says "Internal Graphics" as "Enabled"
  • I've used the config.plist for AMD GPU.
My monitor is connected through DB cable, directly to the GPU.

EDIT: Telling macOS to manually sleep did put the Motherboard into sleep state, and then hitting the keyboard did make it light up again, but it didn't wake the display. Computer would also not respond to ping (at it usually does)

EDIT2: HackinDROM still doesn't load up. Icon appears on the top menu bar, but if I click it, it dies. Running it through iTerm2 shows a nasty Segmentation Fault at the time of the crash

EDIT3: @CaseySJ Updated my first response, regarding Catalina. I did misread it initially.
Some follow-ups:
  • Hopefully the OpenCore 0.7.3 EFI is on a USB flash disk or previous 0.6.0 EFI is still available. If so, please boot again from 0.6.0 to check if the sleep, black screen, and pink line problems occur. This is necessary to re-confirm the baseline.
  • Have all 5 PlatformInfo parameters been copied to the new config.plist?
    • System product name
    • System serial number
    • Hardware UUID
    • Board serial number
    • ROM

Back