Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Casey,

I have a strange question that perhaps you (or another) could answer:

I have discovered that my system REQUIRES VT-d to be enabled to get a BlackMagic Decklink card to properly work for AVID Media Composer. If I disable VT-d, AVID doesn't like to fully launch (due to the BM driver). I have a Sapphire Vega 64 in slot 1, the BM card in slot 2, and a Myricom 10gigE fibre card in the bottom slot, with an Inland Premium m2 (I know, not the best) occupying the M2M slot. My BIOS is set for "PCH side" for the PCI-4 slot.

This system (Designare z390, 9900k, Bios F9i, OC 073, Catalina 10.15.7) has been terrific for quite some time (thanks to you and this thread) as well as two other similar builds. There doesn't appear to be any ill-affects of keeping it on (I discovered this workaround well over a year ago) but I guess I'm confused as to why. The BM driver works fine for other softwares (Resolve, Adobe) so one could say this is a software bug for the BM AVX plugin for AVID specifically, but it is strange how enabling VT-d seems to rectify.

The BM card is SUPPOSED to be 4, 8 and 16 lane compatible, so I guess I can try switching the BM card with the Myricom card again (thought I did that long ago) to see if VT-d is no longer required...but if you or anyone else had a thought as to why VT-d solves the problem that would be swell.

Thanks as always,
J

Casey,

I have a strange question that perhaps you (or another) could answer:

I have discovered that my system REQUIRES VT-d to be enabled to get a BlackMagic Decklink card to properly work for AVID Media Composer. If I disable VT-d, AVID doesn't like to fully launch (due to the BM driver). I have a Sapphire Vega 64 in slot 1, the BM card in slot 2, and a Myricom 10gigE fibre card in the bottom slot, with an Inland Premium m2 (I know, not the best) occupying the M2M slot. My BIOS is set for "PCH side" for the PCI-4 slot.

This system (Designare z390, 9900k, Bios F9i, OC 073, Catalina 10.15.7) has been terrific for quite some time (thanks to you and this thread) as well as two other similar builds. There doesn't appear to be any ill-affects of keeping it on (I discovered this workaround well over a year ago) but I guess I'm confused as to why. The BM driver works fine for other softwares (Resolve, Adobe) so one could say this is a software bug for the BM AVX plugin for AVID specifically, but it is strange how enabling VT-d seems to rectify.

The BM card is SUPPOSED to be 4, 8 and 16 lane compatible, so I guess I can try switching the BM card with the Myricom card again (thought I did that long ago) to see if VT-d is no longer required...but if you or anyone else had a thought as to why VT-d solves the problem that would be swell.

Thanks as always,
J
@SmackAttack,

Another well-described problem statement with all the right background information! :)

There is in fact a very short answer to your “strange question”, as follows:
  • VT-d is a good thing. All real Macs have VT-d enabled and if you use the latest OpenCore EFI from this thread, it will enable it fully such that AppleVTD will appear in IORegistryExplorer.
  • AppleVTD is also necessary to connect Apple’s own Thunderbolt-to-Gigabit Ethernet adapter.
  • AppleVTD also makes it possible to connect Antelope Audio Thunderbolt devices.
  • If the BlackMagic Decklink requires VT-d (and “AppleVTD”) then it is not a problem. We are supposed to have VT-d (in BIOS) and AppleVTD (in IOReg) enabled.

I'm wondering if any other members here are using this set up with Ableton 11 and how has your experience been?

I am on OC 0.7.3 with the standard config from this thread/hackindrom and running Big Sur 11.6. 9900k, RX 580, thunderbolt 3 interface(Focusrite Claret 8pre), 2 x 4k monitors

I am having the following problems:

• GUI lag, this is particularly noticeable in Ableton, devices graphics will be laggy and even the playhead is lagging when going across the screen. Gui lag also extended to Mac OS at random times
  • CPU overload and crackles on not very large projects, when adding new tracks
It's hard to determine if it's the Hackintosh, Ableton or Big Sur but I have tried a fresh install of Ableton 11 with no plugins, I've also tried the 11.1 Ableton beta and these issues persist.

Hi CaseySJ,

I previously reported that the audio controller could not load normally when VT-d was enabled in my system (GA-X99-Designare-EX).

I solved the problem by modifying the DMAR table. and now it works well without any problems, Ethernet and WiFi and Audio working.

Attached is the modified DMAR table
iShot2021-10-02 19.37.34.png
iShot2021-10-02 19.37.53.png

Attachments

• GA-X99-Designare-EX-DMAR_Mod.aml
    104 bytes · Views: 39
@SmackAttack,

Another well-described problem statement with all the right background information! :)

• VT-d is a good thing. All real Macs have VT-d enabled and if you use the latest OpenCore EFI from this thread, it will enable it fully such that AppleVTD will appear in IORegistryExplorer.
  • AppleVTD is also necessary to connect Apple’s own Thunderbolt-to-Gigabit Ethernet adapter.
  • AppleVTD also makes it possible to connect Antelope Audio Thunderbolt devices.
  • If the BlackMagic Decklink requires VT-d (and “AppleVTD”) then it is not a problem. We are supposed to have VT-d (in BIOS) and AppleVTD (in IOReg) enabled.
Please remind me what I have to do to enable vt-d.
1. I've enabled it in the BIOS.
2. I removed dart=0 from my config.plist

Anything else I have to do in OC 0.7.3?

Where exactly do I check for AppleVTD in ioreg?

Best,

Zip

@SmackAttack,

Fascinating… I’ve followed all of the VT-d developments as of late yet never thought they applied to me as I don’t use those extra TB adapters nor Antelope— and even took the extra steps (mistakenly) to remove the DMAR.aml having forgotten that over a year ago I actually ENABLED VT-d in BIOS.

I will re-instate all going forward (per all instructions). Thank you!

Given the insane amount of variations you and the contributing members of this thread somehow manage to coalesce, I wonder if it’s known how applicable the VT-d insights are to the z390 M Gaming board (my home build). I also stay up on PastryChef’s Golden thread for z390 M Gaming, but I do not think we use these insights there.

For a spell, that board was even in the HackinDROM OC update menu, but no longer. I’d be happy to help contribute if it helps anyone in a similar situation as me, but I fear I’m not thoroughly educated to be of solid use.

J

Hi CaseySJ,

I previously reported that the audio controller could not load normally when VT-d was enabled in my system (GA-X99-Designare-EX).

I solved the problem by modifying the DMAR table. and now it works well without any problems, Ethernet and WiFi and Audio working.

Attached is the modified DMAR table
Good job!

Please remind me what I have to do to enable vt-d.
1. I've enabled it in the BIOS.
2. I removed dart=0 from my config.plist

Anything else I have to do in OC 0.7.3?

Where exactly do I check for AppleVTD in ioreg?

Best,

Zip
If you're using the OC 0.7.3 EFI from this thread, then the only user action is to enable VT-d in BIOS. Please see the OC 0.7.3 Mini-Guide for more info:

Screen Shot 2021-10-02 at 7.36.39 AM.png

Regarding where to look for AppleVTD, please see screenshot #3 here:

Back