1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Ummmm. FYI all....

I just was fortunate enough to be able to get an EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra (12GB-P5-3967-KR), and at MSRP, through EVGA's Notify Queue system.
Congratulations! This morning I attempted to purchase AMD GPUs directly from AMD's website using their new queue system. Nearly got one, but the "Add to Cart" button didn't work. Will try again next week.

Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 6.55.44 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-08-26 at 7.07.13 AM.png

I understand that many, but not all Best Buy stores around the country had numerous RTX 3000-series GPUs for sale today. Curious if anyone here stood in line for one...

At present, I'm down to just one machine, which is this Z390 Designare as I await release of AMD's new 5k THREADRIPPERS. So I installed the new GPU and replaced the RX 580 just for testing in Windows.

Well, I accidentally booted into macOS... and it's "working"! I thought doing so it would just crash with the black screen. It's working on the HDMI port and at the correct resolution. My ulta wide 5120 X 1440... is of course just a black screen. I'm guessing getting that one to work may not happen.
Actually all GPUs will "work", but not the way you expect! GPU acceleration will be disabled unless the card is natively supported by macOS. Moving windows, resizing windows, scrolling windows, etc. will be very slow. And games? Just forgettabout it! :)

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900k
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Congratulations! This morning I attempted to purchase AMD GPUs directly from AMD's website using their new queue system. Nearly got one, but the "Add to Cart" button didn't work. Will try again next week.

View attachment 527853View attachment 527852

I understand that many, but not all Best Buy stores around the country had numerous RTX 3000-series GPUs for sale today. Curious if anyone here stood in line for one...

Actually all GPUs will "work", but not they way you expect! GPU acceleration will be disabled unless the card is natively supported by macOS. Moving windows, resizing windows, scrolling windows, etc. will be very slow. And games? Just forgettabout it! :)
Thank you @CaseySJ for the reply and the info!

YES! I told a friend of mine about the big nVidia dump at BestBuys. He went to the one in West LA at 11301 Pico. He waited in line since about 8PM yesterday and today he was rewarded with an nVidia 3090 FE at MSRP. He is VERY happy as he did not think he could get a new GPU for MONTHS. He primarily will be using it for Premiere, but he also games pretty hard too.

THERE WERE PLENTY MORE AVAILABLE! He talked to a lot of people in line and most were there for 3060's.

And best of luck to you @CaseySJ on your next attempt at YOUR GPU from the AMD site! :headbang:

Motherboard
Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Xtreme
CPU
Ryzen 3970X
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Ummmm. FYI all....

I just was fortunate enough to be able to get an EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra (12GB-P5-3967-KR), and at MSRP, through EVGA's Notify Queue system.

At present, I'm down to just one machine, which is this Z390 Designare as I await release of AMD's new 5k THREADRIPPERS. So I installed the new GPU and replaced the RX 580 just for testing in Windows.

Well, I accidentally booted into macOS... and it's "working"! I thought doing so it would just crash with the black screen. It's working on the HDMI port and at the correct resolution. My ulta wide 5120 X 1440... is of course just a black screen. I'm guessing getting that one to work may not happen.

I really expected nothing, but I am technically actually able to use it, to some extent, with this GPU.

I thought this info could be useful to some.

You will get an output from virtually any GPU, be that Nvidia or AMD. But, unless it is a supported one you will only get a basic output using the bog standard VGA driver, i.e no acceleration etc.

You can, of course, have both cards installed but just disable the slot the RTX is in when you boot in to macOS. CaseySJ has supplied the SSDTs to disable either slot 1 or 2, just select and use the one for whichever slot you have the card in.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Does anyone know how to get OC0.7.2 to default to a specific volume? I've tried a few options but none seem to stick. :banghead:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thank you @CaseySJ for the reply and the info!

YES! I told a friend of mine about the big nVidia dump at BestBuys. He went to the one in West LA at 11301 Pico. He waited in line since about 8PM yesterday and today he was rewarded with an nVidia 3090 FE at MSRP. He is VERY happy as he did not think he could get a new GPU for MONTHS. He primarily will be using it for Premiere, but he also games pretty hard too.
nVidia's Founder's Edition cards have such an awesome industrial design that I would buy one (only at MSRP) just for keeps! I could always wait for RTX 40-series... :)

And best of luck to you @CaseySJ on your next attempt at YOUR GPU from the AMD site! :headbang:
Thanks! AMD's queue system was quite fun, but I think I messed up somewhere... Will certainly try again.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900KS
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
  5. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. iBook
  3. Power Mac
  4. PowerBook
  5. Quadra
  6. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Does anyone know how to get OC0.7.2 to default to a specific volume? I've tried a few options but none seem to stick. :banghead:
...or were you asking about loading the EFI from a particular volume?

Attachments

• Z390_Advanced_Boot_EFI_select.jpg
    Z390_Advanced_Boot_EFI_select.jpg
    675.1 KB · Views: 28
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900k
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
nVidia's Founder's Edition cards have such an awesome industrial design that I would buy one (only at MSRP) just for keeps! I could always wait for RTX 40-series... :)

Thanks! AMD's queue system was quite fun, but I think I messed up somewhere... Will certainly try again.
The BestBuy my friend went to had 25 3090s! He was about the 90th person in line (AFTER all the @*#~ cutters!) and he STILL got the 3rd 3090! They probably still have some in stock today... or maybe not by now.

Let us know once you are triumphant and KNOW your card will be coming to you! :D