Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
I have tested this on Zoom and its working properly as I can see the other person (in this case my tv in the other room). I have also tested this on those webcam test websites and its functioning properly. Any ideas for why its not working on facetime?

Anybody have any ideas on how to solve my facetime issue?

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Anybody have any ideas on how to solve my facetime issue?
  • Does the Brio work with FaceTime on a real Mac -- if you have access to one?
  • Is FaceTime itself activated? Are you able to make and receive audio calls?
  • Do you have a regular 1080p webcam? If so, does it work with FaceTime?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
  • Does the Brio work with FaceTime on a real Mac -- if you have access to one?
  • Is FaceTime itself activated? Are you able to make and receive audio calls?
  • Do you have a regular 1080p webcam? If so, does it work with FaceTime?

• Does the Brio work with FaceTime on a real Mac -- if you have access to one?: I just tried it and it works on a real mac
  • Is FaceTime itself activated? Are you able to make and receive audio calls?: Its activated and was able to make an audio facetime call to my work phone
  • Do you have a regular 1080p webcam? If so, does it work with FaceTime?: I only have the brio as webcam but it works on Zoom as mentioned prior.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  • Does the Brio work with FaceTime on a real Mac -- if you have access to one?: I just tried it and it works on a real mac
  • Is FaceTime itself activated? Are you able to make and receive audio calls?: Its activated and was able to make an audio facetime call to my work phone
  • Do you have a regular 1080p webcam? If so, does it work with FaceTime?: I only have the brio as webcam but it works on Zoom as mentioned prior.
Which USB port is the Brio connected to? Please refer to USB diagram here.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
@CODYQX4 @Lukey1979

Both of you have or had a Logitech Brio 4K webcam. Did you try it with FaceTime?
I sold mine a year or two ago, and have never used FaceTime.

In other apps, I found the quality bad for what is a 4K camera, and it could be customized more in Windows. There was a glitchy app that could improve it in macOS in some cases that I can't remember the name of.

PS: I had all the same experience with a real iMac.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Last edited:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Upon reviewing another thread, it might be a DRM issue as mentioned below in another build thread below:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-big-sur-on-i9-10850k-z490m-gaming-x.310679/

Perhaps something I could change in my config.plist as well? Any suggestions? I noticed that I cant watch any trailers or free episodes on AppleTV.
For DRM in Mojave through Catalina, please see:

For Big Sur and newer, it may be best to switch to iMacPro1,1 or MacPro7,1

Motherboard
GA-Z390-Designare
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 590
Blurry FaceTime: this probably isn't helpful, but prior to Catalina I used a legacy Firewire iSight camera (the one that was supported above the display by a flexible gooseneck). Prior to Mojave, it worked great. However, beginning with Mojave, the video was low-resolution in FaceTime but was clear in other apps (this was prior to the Zoom days). I never figured out what the issue was, and my problem went away when I learned that Catalina dropped support for the iSight microphone, and I relegated the iSight to the parts bin.