2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

1628959765636.png

I'm getting Tx Rate: 1300Mbps on my Fence FV-T919. Why is your speed so low?

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm getting Tx Rate: 1300Mbps on my Fence FV-T919. Why is your speed so low?
This particular system (Z490 Vision D) has a Fenvi with locally attached antennas. My Designare Z390 has an outboard antenna so WiFi runs faster, but it has never attained a speed anywhere close to 1300 Mbps! Both systems are at least one room away from an Atlas node.

What is the make/model of your router? Is it located in the same room?

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z490 Creator
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This particular system (Z490 Vision D) has a Fenvi with locally attached antennas. My Designare Z390 has an outboard antenna so WiFi runs faster, but it has never attained a speed anywhere close to 1300 Mbps! Both systems are at least one room away from an Atlas node.

What is the make/model of your router? Is it located in the same room?
Netgear RA120 WiFi 6 router in the same room.

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
2020 wreaked havoc on our home network & Internet as all 8 of us (me, wife, & 6 kids) were pounding away on our 300Mbps Spectrum connection. Five of the kids home schooling locally, to Kentucky, and Krakow, as well as my work day connection to Vienna, Austria. Things were not good.

I upgrade to Spectrum Gig-Internet (not really gig) and then rebuilt my entire network with Ubiquiti hardware. I dumped the Netgear Orbi mesh and went with a Ubiquiti UDM router attached to 24 port POE switch, with 2 raspberry-pi pi-holes acting as my primary and secondary DNS servers. I then added an 8-port POE switch to my office with an In-Wall Access Point for the 2nd floor WiFi and an Access Point nanoHD for the rest of downstairs. Finally, a few months ago I topped it all off with a WiFi6 Long-Range Access Point in the garage to cover the majority of the front and backyard and an extra mini 4-port switch. Of course, everything runs off one of my many APC UPS's, cause East coast weather can be unpredictable. Yes, it's a bit of over-the-top, but it works flawlessly.
IMG_0505.jpeg

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
2020 wreaked havoc on our home network & internet as all 8 of us (me, wife, & 6 kids) were pounding away on our 300Mbps Spectrum connection. 5 of the kids home schooling locally, to Kentucky, and Krakow, as well as my work day connection to Vienna, Austria. Things were not good.

I upgrade to Spectrum Gig-Internet (not really gig) and then rebuilt my entire network with Ubiquiti hardware. I dumped the Netgear Orbi mesh and went with a Ubiquiti UDM router attached to 24 port POE switch, with 2 raspberry-pi pi-holes acting as my primary and secondary DNS servers. I then added an 8-port POE switch to my office with an In-Wall Access Point for the 2nd floor WiFi and an Access Point nanoHD for the rest of downstairs. Finally, a few months ago I topped it all off with a WiFi6 Long-Range Access Point in the garage to cover the majority of the front and backyard and an extra mini 4-port switch. Of course, everything runs off one of my many APC UPS's, cause East coast weather can be unpredictable...
View attachment 526943
And the Oscar for Most Insane Network in a Residential Setting goes to... :)

Yes, it's a bit of over-the-top, but it works flawlessly.
Over-the-top is a badge of honor! I've been unapologetically guilty of that from time to time...

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900KF
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
2020 wreaked havoc on our home network & internet as all 8 of us (me, wife, & 6 kids) were pounding away on our 300Mbps Spectrum connection. 5 of the kids home schooling locally, to Kentucky, and Krakow, as well as my work day connection to Vienna, Austria. Things were not good.

I upgrade to Spectrum Gig-Internet (not really gig) and then rebuilt my entire network with Ubiquiti hardware. I dumped the Netgear Orbi mesh and went with a Ubiquiti UDM router attached to 24 port POE switch, with 2 raspberry-pi pi-holes acting as my primary and secondary DNS servers. I then added an 8-port POE switch to my office with an In-Wall Access Point for the 2nd floor WiFi and an Access Point nanoHD for the rest of downstairs. Finally, a few months ago I topped it all off with a WiFi6 Long-Range Access Point in the garage to cover the majority of the front and backyard and an extra mini 4-port switch. Of course, everything runs off one of my many APC UPS's, cause East coast weather can be unpredictable. Yes, it's a bit of over-the-top, but it works flawlessly.
Do you have HomeKit devices at home ? If yes, are they working correctly?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Do you have HomeKit devices at home ? If yes, are they working correctly?
Yes, I have a (ahem) few of them (38)!?! :eek: Wemo, Koogeek, Eufy, and Tuya. I've got them segmented off on a dedicated separate VLAN called IoT. My IoT VLAN can access the internet but not my home network, and my home LAN has direct access my IoT VLAN via a dedicated routing. Again, "slightly" over the top but it keeps my IoT devices from accessing any private/critical data on my home network. Here's a simple shot of my network topology with the VLAN removed.
1628983752253.png

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
And the Oscar for Most Insane Network in a Residential Setting goes to... :)

Over-the-top is a badge of honor! I've been unapologetically guilty of that from time to time...
Thanks @CaseySJ, I'm humbled by the "award"?! :lol:

After 30 years of working, living, & breathing technology, I still embody the saying "Go big or go home". Albeit, from my military days it was "Do it right the first time, or do it again".