Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Motherboard
ASUS ZenBook Pro Duo 15 UX582
CPU
i9-10980HK
Graphics
UHD 630 + RTX 3070
Please try the attached firmware file and Thunderbolt SSDT.
@CaseySJ Amazing! It's working partially now! Feel free to put this patch to HackinDROM.

With the mod ROM, the Thunderbolt device cannot even be detected in IOReg w/wo the SSDT-TB3.aml. But with the SSDT-TB3.aml alone, my ASUS laptop is able to detect the USB ports on my PowerColor Gaming Station (thunderbolt 3 pcie) either coldboot/hotplug and before/after sleep/wake:clap:. However, neither of my 6900 XT or RTX 3090 are detected w/wo the mod ROM and/or SSDT-TB3.aml either through coldboot/hotplug/sleep/wake in IOReg and System Report. Also, the Thunderbolt bus seems not detected in System Report (shows Thunderbolt: No drivers are loaded) either w/wo the mod ROM and SSDT. Is it possible to repatch the ROM to get the bus detected? I'm still in Catalina 10.15.7 BTW.

I attached my IOReg and System Report results below.

Attachments

• Thunderbolt Mod-1 Test Results.zip
    7.5 MB · Views: 17
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900KF
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
The EVGA SuperNova has 4 clearly marked VGA power ports. I can choose any two of the four ports.

View attachment 526808

On your BeQuiet PSU:
  • Choose a different PCIe power port -- in case existing port is bad
  • Also use a different PCIe power cable -- in case existing cable is bad
But also:
  • Check that 24-pin motherboard cable is properly seated on (a) motherboard and (b) PSU
Headaches!!
IMG_0332.jpeg

Finally bought a Corsair RM850x 80 PLUS Gold 850 Watts, will check if my be quiet! Straight Power 11 is creating the short circuit
Supernova not available in Europe :(
if anyone has the same Corsair please let me know if it is working properly for you

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus Z690 ProArt Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@CaseySJ Amazing! It's working partially now! Feel free to put this patch to HackinDROM.

With the mod ROM, the Thunderbolt device cannot even be detected in IOReg w/wo the SSDT-TB3.aml. But with the SSDT-TB3.aml alone, my ASUS laptop is able to detect the USB ports on my PowerColor Gaming Station (thunderbolt 3 pcie) either coldboot/hotplug and before/after sleep/wake:clap:. However, neither of my 6900 XT or RTX 3090 are detected w/wo the mod ROM and/or SSDT-TB3.aml either through coldboot/hotplug/sleep/wake in IOReg and System Report. Also, the Thunderbolt bus seems not detected in System Report (shows Thunderbolt: No drivers are loaded) either w/wo the mod ROM and SSDT. Is it possible to repatch the ROM to get the bus detected? I'm still in Catalina 10.15.7 BTW.

I attached my IOReg and System Report results below.
Hello @shiecldk,

Because your firmware is NVM 62, it may be difficult to modify. I would recommend the following experiment instead:
  • Flash the modified Designare Z390 NVM 33 and see whether Thunderbolt Bus gets activated.
  • You can always flash the original NVM 62 if things don't work.
  • Use the Thunderbolt SSDT that was sent in my last reply. It's okay to use that SSDT with NVM 33.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus Z690 ProArt Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Headaches!!
View attachment 527179

Finally bought a Corsair RM850x 80 PLUS Gold 850 Watts, will check if my be quiet! Straight Power 11 is creating the short circuit
if anyone has the same Corsair please let me know if it is working properly for you
Please note that PSU cables are not always interchangeable between different brands. In general we should only use the power cables that come with the PSU.

Motherboard
ASUS ZenBook Pro Duo 15 UX582
CPU
i9-10980HK
Graphics
UHD 630 + RTX 3070
Hello @shiecldk,

Because your firmware is NVM 62, it may be difficult to modify. I would recommend the following experiment instead:
  • Flash the modified Designare Z390 NVM 33 and see whether Thunderbolt Bus gets activated.
  • You can always flash the original NVM 62 if things don't work.
  • Use the Thunderbolt SSDT that was sent in my last reply. It's okay to use that SSDT with NVM 33.
Thanks. I tested the ROM. However, it shows the same results as before (no Thunderbolt device detected in IOReg) w/wo the SSDT. Do you have the original Titan Ridge ROMs that I could used to compare the patches?

Last edited by a moderator:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900k
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Please note that PSU cables are not always interchangeable between different brands. In general we should only use the power cables that come with the PSU.
Also can be different with SAME brand but different model numbers, and this is certainly true with Corsair power supplies.

Please refer to this guide:

Corsair PSU Cable Compatibility

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900KF
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Headaches!!
View attachment 527179

OUUUH!
my be quiet! Straight Power 11 causes short circuit! Now I hope they will take it back
No more issue with Corsair to boot, even Fenvi's bandwidth is a little better. Will check how Intel WiFi is now, because with be quiet! it was awful too

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus Z690 ProArt Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thanks. I tested the ROM. However, it shows the same results as before (no Thunderbolt device detected in IOReg) w/wo the SSDT. Do you have the original Titan Ridge ROMs that I could used to compare the patches?
We have come across a couple of motherboards in which we were never able to activate Thunderbolt Bus despite iterating through several modifications of the firmware. So keep that in mind! :) Meanwhile, here are links to (a) original and (b) modified NVM33 from Designare Z390 (top of Post 1). This pair can be used for identifying the changes.

Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 2.51.14 PM.png

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900KS
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
  5. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. iBook
  3. Power Mac
  4. PowerBook
  5. Quadra
  6. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
A general observation: I am regularly losing Thunderbolt awareness and connectivity to the Apollo 8 with this Z390 build and OpenCore 072. When it does connect, I no longer have hotswap. I am using the same EFI "Thunderbolt fixins" that I've been using for about a year now. BIOS = Z390DESI_modMC_01052021_0906_Rev_0xEA.F9i
---Rolling back to OC 071 and F9i.

Attachments

• EFI copy.zip
    4.3 MB · Views: 23
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900KF
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
A general observation: I am regularly losing Thunderbolt awareness and connectivity to the Apollo 8 with this Z390 build and OpenCore 072. When it does connect, I no longer have hotswap. I am using the same EFI "Thunderbolt fixins" that I've been using for about a year now. BIOS = Z390DESI_modMC_01052021_0906_Rev_0xEA.F9i
---Rolling back to OC 071 and F9i.
Hello @jiffyslot,
What about your BIOS -> Thunderbolt configuration ?