[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare iMac19,1
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
[...]

Of some note. As others have reported after changing from iMac19,1 to iMacPro1,1 Geekbench shows an small but noticeable uplift in compute performance. Kinda interesting.

Curious! I recently swapped the other way and have the opposite experience. Ran a new Geekbench 5 Metal test just now and the result increased by quite a bit. Got around 74k on iMacPro1,1 and now around 82k.

Motherboard
Asus ROG G750JW
CPU
i7 4700HQ
Graphics
GTX 765M - 1920x1080
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi StefanAM, this firmware was dumped from a new Gigabtye GC-Alpine Ridge Rev 2.0?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i3-9100F
Graphics
R9 280X
** Apple Thunderbolt Display and LG UltraFine Thunderbolt Volunteers Wanted **

Update 7 JUL 2021:
Due to data collection procedure being a bit complicated, we have switched to Plan B.
More information in 2-3 weeks.​
Any news on this? I suspect it will be helpful for those of us dualbooting macOS with other operating systems, especially when cold booting.

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus Z690 ProArt Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

I'm having some shutdown issues since OpenCore 0.6.7 or so. When I shutdown my machine just restarts. Is there a flag/checkbox in Opencore Config to work around such an issue?
Because this implies that OpenCore 0.6.7 was working and newer versions are the reason why shutdown is not working, I always advise people to double-check the assertion, as follows:
  • Boot the system from an OpenCore 0.6.7 EFI folder. We can use a USB flash disk for this purpose. The OpenCore 0.6.7 EFI folder should of course be copied to the EFI partition on the USB flash disk. Then we boot the system and press F12 at BIOS Splash Screen to open the BIOS Boot Menu, and select the USB flash disk.
  • After macOS boots up, try Shutdown to see if the system does in fact shut down.
  • If the system shuts down properly with OC 0.6.7, but not with OC 0.7.1 (assuming you are running 0.7.1 now), please let us know.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus Z690 ProArt Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Any news on this? I suspect it will be helpful for those of us dualbooting macOS with other operating systems, especially when cold booting.
@Elias64Fr has been working behind the scenes on this. We cannot of course make any promises, but we'll certainly post updates on our progress.

Motherboard
Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Xtreme
CPU
Ryzen 3970X
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

I'm having some shutdown issues since OpenCore 0.6.7 or so. When I shutdown my machine just restarts. Is there a flag/checkbox in Opencore Config to work around such an issue?

Try disabling Wake on Lan in your BIOS, this is necessary on my machine so it may work for you as well.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i9 9990K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello @Lkevin30,

All real Macs have AppleVTD. Even if you flash the Thunderbolt firmware, enabling AppleVTD has these additional benefits:
  • Antelope Audio Thunderbolt devices will connect and work (only with AppleVTD)
  • Apple Thunderbolt-to-Gigabit Ethernet adapter will connect and work only with AppleVTD in Big Sur and Monterey
  • If you search for posts by @luckyal, you'll find examples of low-latency audio devices that require AppleVTD
  • There are probably several other devices that will only work with AppleVTD...
Wow!!!! To make my Antelope Audio Thunderbolt work, all I have to do is to enable AppleVTD or are there additional steps? Is this possible to do on a Designare Z390?