Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Please see attached for the current EFI folder which I am using and let me know if anything needs to be changed.

@bh1cqx Let me know if there are any freezing occurs with the downgrade as my BIOS is on version F9J.
Uptime has been 4 hours and still good. I'll report back tomorrow, but it appears promising so you might want to give a try too.

Thanks! I too have updated the bios and now going back to 11.5, will revert if I encounter any freezing or issues.

Would like to thank @UtterDisbelief , @bh1cqx, and @CaseySJ for their help. It appears that the culprit was the F9J BIOS version which has been downgraded to f9I. After about an hour or so of use; I have all USB, and wifi functionality on 11.5 . Hopefully Monterey will be a smoother transition!

Last edited:
Reminder to all:
Please do not use BIOS F9j.

BIOS F9j is worse than we thought, causing random freezes in latest versions of Big Sur.

Use F9i or F9g instead, both of which are available through the Quick Reference spoiler in Post 1.

FD0DFC86-E5B2-432F-99AC-FB7DCB8896DC.jpeg

Would like to thank @UtterDisbelief , @bh1cqx, and @CaseySJ for their help. It appears that the culprit was the F9J BIOS version which has been downgraded to f9I. After about an hour or so of use; I have all USB, and wifi functionality on 11.5 . Hopefully Monterey will be a smoother transition!
Glad to hear it. Monterey is awesome. With OpenCore 0.7.1 it has been a smooth update on Z390 Designare.

Glad to hear it. Monterey is awesome. With OpenCore 0.7.1 it has been a smooth update on Z390 Designare.

I am curious, what's so awesome in Monterey compared to Catalina or Big Sur?

At one point, I will need to upgrade from Mojave. Checking my options once in a while.

I am curious, what's so awesome in Monterey compared to Catalina or Big Sur?

At one point, I will need to upgrade from Mojave. Checking my options once in a while.
Apple’s WWDC video provides a very good summary of Monterey. When we actually download and run it, it ceases to be academic and becomes real — something we can actually experience rather than just imagine. Monterey is an incremental update over Big Sur, but a very welcome one nonetheless.

Apple’s WWDC video provides a very good summary of Monterey. When we actually download and run it, it ceases to be academic and becomes real — something we can actually experience rather than just imagine. Monterey is an incremental update over Big Sur, but a very welcome one nonetheless.
I tend not to understand many of the improvements they rave about at WWDC. It's mostly improved versions of stuff I never use. (Mission Control comes to mind, or Notifications, or some obscure function in Safari).

I also disapprove of the tendency to make everything 'flat', so you can't see the difference between ordinary text and a button. This gets worse with every new iteration of MacOS. What's wrong with the shiny pill fake 3D button? Works for me.

Just wondering if I am missing something important not mentioned in the official Apple blurb, some under-the-hood changes like improved multithreading for real-time apps, better APFS implementation, improved SMB networking, that sort of thing.

I tend not to understand many of the improvements they rave about at WWDC. It's mostly improved versions of stuff I never use. (Mission Control comes to mind, or Notifications, or some obscure function in Safari).

I also disapprove of the tendency to make everything 'flat', so you can't see the difference between ordinary text and a button. This gets worse with every new iteration of MacOS. What's wrong with the shiny pill fake 3D button? Works for me.

Just wondering if I am missing something important not mentioned in the official Apple blurb, some under-the-hood changes like improved multithreading for real-time apps, better APFS implementation, improved SMB networking, that sort of thing.
Do not upgrade. Nobody force you!

This is likely to trigger some emotional reactions so let me say that your views are understandable. There’s a difference between someone who relies upon and needs macOS for getting their job done, and someone who is a technology and computing enthusiast.

The professional needs to be conservative and cautious, to ensure that their applications and plug-ins are fully supported, and that no significant change is made to the workflow they know and depend upon.

The technology/computing enthusiast is the very opposite. The enthusiast wants to push the boundaries, to innovate above all else. The enthusiast is an early adopter and enjoys tinkering with new features even if their value seems doubtful at first. The enthusiast does not tolerate the status quo for long, and demands progress. The wiser(?) enthusiast knows that progress does not happen in big leaps every year, but mostly in increments and occasionally in big leaps. But progress, regardless of the quantity or quality of the progress, is still a thing to celebrate.
Most of the changes are under the hood. These are discussed in detail with developers in a multitude of WWDC ‘sessions’ and therefore not mentioned in public keynotes except perhaps in passing where a laundry list of such changes is sprinkled liberally on a slide that gets 5 seconds of air time!

Last edited:
Back