Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

In my case powermetrics and systemstats cause a sudden and random system reboot. Wondering if it might be due to an NVMe SSD mounted in a USB-C external enclosure. Will experiment with alternatives. (macOS Monterey public beta 1)

Update 1: Problem fixed (or circumvented) by disabling NVMeFix.kext Reinstalled Monterey on internal NVMe SSD (simply added a new APFS Volume to existing Big Sur NVMe SSD and installed there).

Update 2: Not quite. Disabling NVMeFix.kext allowed the system to run longer before suddenly rebooting.
Your random reboots are most likely due to the FakePciId kexts. You must disable these for Monterey to not randomly reboot every 5 min.

Your random reboots are most likely due to the FakePciId kexts. You must disable these for Monterey to not randomly reboot every 5 min.
Will try this soon, thanks.

Will try this soon, thanks.
This appears to have stopped the random reboots! Simply setting MaxKernel to 20.99.99 for all three FakePCIID kexts will do the job.

It’s been 30 minutes now without a crash. if system remains stable for another hour or two, we can declare success.

Update: Over an hour now with no crash! I think we can call this a success. However:
  • Red Ethernet port (2.5GbE) does not establish a connection.
  • But Dark Mode is very well done. This is first version of macOS where I can use that mode all day!

Last edited:
This appears to have stopped the random reboots! Simply setting MaxKernel to 20.99.99 for all three FakePCIID kexts will do the job.

It’s been 30 minutes now without a crash. if system remains stable for another hour or two, we can declare success.
It worked for me. So I’m glad it works for you !!

What is the make/model of the drive? Did it work previously on this machine?
Its a LACiE Drive which is what I used to store the initial "first" backup of the machine when I started with it on Mojave. It is using a TB2 to 3 adapter, but its always worked. I can still get into it if I need to via USB, but I was planning on picking up a TB device for the studio soon. So would be great if I could get that functionality back. BTW, has anyone ever solved the spiking monitor off thing after coming out of sleep (where the monitor goes black (mine actually sounds like it cracks when it happens) for about 5 seconds at a random time after waking from sleep?

Hey @CaseySJ, it's been a while, hope you're doing well!

I've spent almost four days trying to install Big Sur 11.4 to my machine but I keep getting the macOS Update Assistant error (please see attached image).

I used the EFI from your OC 070 guide. I've also tried the one from your OC 068 guide and my previous EFI, none of them worked. My BIOS version is F9i, and I did follow your BIOS settings on post #1. I've tried clearing CMOS (whatever that means) and I made sure the CFG-Lock is disabled.

For the Big Sur installer, I downloaded using gibmacOS, it didn't work. So I tried downloading it directly from Mac App Store with a real Mac. I also tried different versions (11.4 and 11.2.3). I tried to find 11.0.1 because that's what had been working for me but unfortunately couldn't find it.

I've tried changing csr-active-config to 67000000, disabling NVMefix.kext, but no luck. Unless I've missed something, I believe I've followed your guide to a T.

Basically, I've tried everything I could think of, but I keep getting the same error. I did try my best to figure it out myself, but I guess my knowledge and skill are too limited. So I was hoping you could give me some pointers.

Here is my hardware list:

CPU: Intel i9-9900K
MB: Z390 Designare
RAM: HyperX 64GB (16x4) DDR4-3200MHz
GPU: Sapphire Vega 56 Nitro+
Cooler: NZXT Kraken X72 AIO

Not sure if it matters, but I was running a dual-boot system previously (macOS & Windows). But after many failed attempts of installing Big Sur, I unplugged the Windows drive. Still, I keep getting the same error.

The strangest thing is, the pieces of hardware I use are exactly what I used to install Catalina last year and then upgraded to Big Sur 11.0.1. The upgrade was smooth and everything had been working fine until I messed with it.

For some reason, I'm struggling to install it now. This morning I tried to install Catalina 10.15.7 instead, and it worked. But when I tried to update to Big Sur 11.4, the same error occurred.

I'm not sure if it's my hardware or the EFI or anything that's causing this. I'll attach the install log and hopefully you can help shed some light. I'll attach the EFI I used too.

Let me know if you need any information from me. Thank you!

Attachments

• macOS Update Assistant.jpg
    macOS Update Assistant.jpg
    601 KB · Views: 35
  • EFI.zip
    4.3 MB · Views: 52
  • Install Log.txt
    33 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Thinking about upgrading from Mojave to Big Sur. Are these instructions sufficient only when upgrading from Catalina or Mojave 10.14.6?
Because you are already using OpenCore — and the latest version no less — then those instructions should suffice for Mojave to Big Sur as well. Always start with a full bootable backup.

@kim9988,

The way you’ve described the problem and the steps taken is exemplary. It’s a very good example of how problems should be reported. Now I don’t have to read your mind or ask you a hundred background questions! :)

I have personally encountered this problem and thought it could be resolved by setting csr-active-config to 67000000 as you’ve already tried. Anyway, I’ll review your config shortly.

If all else fails, a measure of last resort is to install Big Sur on an SSD mounted inside an external USB 3 enclosure. Then connect the enclosure to your real Mac and install Big Sur on that disk through the real Mac. When done, copy OpenCore EFI folder to EFI partition of that disk, then connect to Hackintosh and boot. If it works, clone that disk to internal NVMe SSD or mount the original SSD inside the chassis.

Last edited:
Back