Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

What was the issue? I ask this because the description you stated (boot option OpenCore shows 0.6.8) doesn’t make sense unless there are multiple EFI partitions and the wrong one is booting. It’s also incorrect to remove the OpenCore boot option.

P.S. We should not post 10MB photos. BIOS screenshots can be done by pressing F12. They will be saved to EFI partition of boot disk in BMP format. Convert it to JPEG and post.
Thanks for replying back Casey. As you mentioned, to take the screenshot in BIOS through F12 Key, I tried that also, and its giving me an error message cannot create file with some number mentioned below and as you had already seen the multiple EFI Partition on the boot option please suggest what can be done in that regard. Just wanted to know flushing the BIOS will be solution for this or not and as I know which is the correct booting drive for the OC 0.7.0. I am bit curious now how to work with BIOS and remove Unwanted EFI entries from it. I will search more for that in your Threads as you always been a great help. I really want to appreciate that for such a prompt response.

And @Inqnuam he also being a great help always and for replying back asap. You both are great and I hope we will getting such a great response always in coming years also and stay blessed always and stay safe both of you and keep Hackintoshing.

The Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter and the Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter are Thunderbolt 1 adapters. See the attachment at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/testing-tb3-aic-with-mp-5-1.2143042/post-27612591 They use the DSL2210 Thunderbolt controller.

I have a script that can get and set the Boot#### variables. I've used it to boot the Startup Manager but haven't tried it for Target Disk Mode.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/updating-a-mac-pro-s-cpu-microcode.2114187/post-28956775

You can try launching it from the UEFI Shell by loading a Firmware Volume File System EFI driver and then executing the Target Disk Mode app from the UEFI Shell command line.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/updating-a-mac-pro-s-cpu-microcode.2114187/post-28964173

I've used the Startup Disk preferences panel to get the EFI device path of Boot Camp (BIOS mode) on my Mac Pro 2008 (select a Windows partition, close Startup Disk preferences panel, use dumpallbootcars to get the path). It seems all Macs use the same GUID for the Boot Camp (BIOS mode) - only the EFI device path of the firmware volume differs between Macs (rEFInd has a list but I suppose it could be modified to find the firmware volume that contains the Boot Camp GUID). Macs that don't have that app need to boot Windows in UEFI mode - in that case the EFI device path would point to the Windows UEFI boot loader.

There's a Target Disk Mode button in Startup Disk preferences but I haven't tried getting the EFI device path that it uses. Maybe it doesn't use an EFI device path or it doesn't write the nvram variable until shutdown. In that case, modify Open Core's NVRAM variable write override code to copy the boot variable to another NVRAM variable. Or maybe use the DriverOrder and Driver#### boot variables to run an efi driver to intercept the variable at startup before it is overwritten (if it can load early enough, and if it is loaded at all before Target Disk Mode starts). If Driver#### loads before TargetDiskMode then it can do stuff like log all of Target Disk Modes EFI calls. Can it log to a disk that is being shared by Target Disk Mode? If not, then you can log to memory of type Runtime Services which should be accessible by macOS (memory map in ioreg?) (because Boot Services memory is unallocated at Exit Boot Services time). But that can't work if you can't get to macOS without restarting or shutting down? In that case you have to log to NVRAM but that space is limited. There's a DumpUefiCalls which I've never used or looked at before. It might do something like what I suggest. Anyway, the idea is to find any other images that are loaded by the Target Disk Mode app (find by GUID).

There exists methods for doing source level debugging in UEFI (OpenCore has a document). This is usually done by running UEFI on a VM (I've done it on a Parallels VM). I don't know if it can be used on a real system. It probably needs a UEFI gdp-remote server or something like that to exist.
@joevt

Wow :) Thanks for theses informations. Your shell script seems working as well, I have installed it and have tried "dumpallbootvars" command.

Adding Driver### seem to be useless, all drivers are on my custom firmware and already loaded (I mean Apple drivers). I can also adding APFS driver with guid CFFB32F4-C2A8-48BB-A0EB-6C3CCA3FE847. I have already tried it by booting to Openshell and bypassing OpenCore (in order to not use OC included APFS driver), all APFS partitions have been visibles.

"Can it log to a disk that is being shared by Target Disk Mode?" No log, ExitBS to OpenCore, because I haven't modified my Boot### and BootOrder EfiGlobalVariables yet. Will try it soon with previous shell script.

Thanks for replying back Casey. As you mentioned, to take the screenshot in BIOS through F12 Key, I tried that also, and its giving me an error message cannot create file with some number mentioned below
Quite right. We just need to insert a USB flash disk that has an EFI partition. Screenshots will be saved to the EFI partition of the USB flash disk.

and as you had already seen the multiple EFI Partition on the boot option please suggest what can be done in that regard. Just wanted to know flushing the BIOS will be solution for this or not and as I know which is the correct booting drive for the OC 0.7.0. I am bit curious now how to work with BIOS and remove Unwanted EFI entries from it. I will search more for that in your Threads as you always been a great help. I really want to appreciate that for such a prompt response.

And @Inqnuam he also being a great help always and for replying back asap. You both are great and I hope we will getting such a great response always in coming years also and stay blessed always and stay safe both of you and keep Hackintoshing.
In the BOOT section of BIOS we can rearrange the order in which the various drives are selected for booting.

If you know which drive contains OpenCore 0.7.0, simply select that drive from the Priority 1 pull down list. All other Priority positions can be left alone. Then save and exit.

When the system reboots and OpenCore Picker appears, take a look at the bottom right corner of the screen. Does it say REL-070-…. ?

Last edited:
Hi @CaseySJ,
I converted Clover to OpenCore 0.7.0. Things are running ok but in testing benchmarks and apps, I began to notice everytime I launched an app, it asked for permission to my documents folder or the desktop, etc.
Each app should ask for these permissions only one time (if you grant it the permission it asks for). If the same app asks for the same permissions over and over again (even after you have granted the permission) then let us know.

I go to "Get info" on the boot drive and 'admin' is 'read only' and I cannot change it. It says I don't have permission even after unlocking with my password. Do I need to run terminal from a USB start up?
If you are running Catalina or Big Sur, the entire System volume is write-protected, which means it is “read only”. So what you are seeing is normal.

Hi @CaseySJ,
I converted Clover to OpenCore 0.7.0. Things are running ok but in testing benchmarks and apps, I began to notice everytime I launched an app, it asked for permission to my documents folder or the desktop, etc.

I go to "Get info" on the boot drive and 'admin' is 'read only' and I cannot change it. It says I don't have permission even after unlocking with my password. Do I need to run terminal from a USB start up?
Could you please create another local admin account
Login into that fresh new created account
and try if you have all your permissions

I've tried enabling PTT to check if it says I meet the Win 11 reqs but after reboot it just comes back still disabled. Tried several times. Other bios settings stick just fine. Modified F9i. @CaseySJ are you able to enable it? I haven't touched the bios since flashing with the bios you provided.

@joevt

Wow :) Thanks for theses informations. Your shell script seems working as well, I have installed it and have tried "dumpallbootvars" command.

Adding Driver### seem to be useless, all drivers are on my custom firmware and already loaded (I mean Apple drivers). I can also adding APFS driver with guid CFFB32F4-C2A8-48BB-A0EB-6C3CCA3FE847. I have already tried it by booting to Openshell and bypassing OpenCore (in order to not use OC included APFS driver), all APFS partitions have been visibles.
I use DriverOrder and Driver#### on my MacPro3,1 to load drivers before Apple Startup Manager boots (so it can see APFS partitions for example). That way I don't need to flash my rom and if the driver has a bug I can zap the pram using Command-Option-P-R.

Other drivers I would like to work on for Driver#### would be to enable GOP GPUs on this old Mac (like RefindPlus and OpenCore can) instead of just UGA, then UGA on GOP because probably Apple Startup Manager on this old Mac requires UGA, A USB 3.x compatible XhciDxe that works in EFI 1.1 (because existing versions only work on UEFI 2.1), then update that driver for USB 3.2 gen 2x2 (if it doesn't support it already?), and a version of the OpenCore screenshot driver (so it can work with UGA), etc.

I'm working on a driver to set PCIe gen 2 speed (because the MacPro3,1 defaults gen 3 and gen 4 devices to gen 1). Then I'll do a EFI driver to enable USB on my GC-ALPINE RIDGE. Then I can replace my EFI Shell startup.nsh script with those two drivers. The EFI driver method will be smarter because startup.nsh uses hardcoded PCIe addresses which might change depending on what is connected. An EFI driver can find the devices that need to be set to gen 2 and it can find the hidden GC-ALPINE RIDGE (you don't need to select a root port for the Thunderbolt controller like you do in a PC's BIOS settings).

"Can it log to a disk that is being shared by Target Disk Mode?" No log, ExitBS to OpenCore, because I haven't modified my Boot### and BootOrder EfiGlobalVariables yet. Will try it soon with previous shell script.
My question wasn't about what you can do now. It was about what can be done by code yet to be created. The issue is that Target Disk Mode usually shares all disks known by UEFI over the Target Disk Mode connection. So maybe you can't write a log to an EFI partition while Target Disk Mode is running. Or maybe Target Disk Mode won't share a partition if you have it opened by a driver.

Yep both ports work. The ASUS Sage/10G has a Intel X550-AT2 so I modified the EEPROM to work with SmallTree drivers

View attachment 522901

SMBIOS: MacPro7,1

BIOS changes: None - Can't seem to find VT-D in the ASUS X299 BIOS
config.plist changes: DisableIoMapper (false)
  • AppleVTD Enabled
  • DMAC
  • 4 DIMMS (4 x 16GB @ 3200)
  • Broadcom BCM943602CDP (Wifi + Bluetooth work)
  • Both onboard Ethernet ports work - Intel X550-AT2 with SmallTree8259x.kext
  • No Thunderbolt card (Will be getting a Titan Ridge to flash)
Hmmm, lucky indeed!

I am currently stuck with the error:
OC: Prelinked injection SmallTreeIntel82576.kext () - Invalid Parameter

Not sure what else to try at this point since my config is supposedly setup correctly (every other kext loads) and TB3 works. Last step to getting this x299 build back to what it was using Clover.

I don't know if what I will say its a stupid thought or no, but if DMAR table (consequence of enabling VTD) in some cases (Z390 and other), is the reason of bad behaviour of WIFI and ethernet, someone smart enough can edit the table in the correct way. After this we block the original. I hope you'll not laugh. I've done this to correct FACP errors in some legacy computers, but DMAR is for dev's.

I don't know if what I will say its a stupid thought or no, but if DMAR table (consequence of enabling VTD) in some cases (Z390 and other), is the reason of bad behaviour of WIFI and ethernet, someone smart enough can edit the table in the correct way. After this we block the original. I hope you'll not laugh. I've done this to correct FACP errors in some legacy computers, but DMAR is for dev's.
Any thoughts or suggestions for dealing with AppleVTD side-effects are welcome. If anyone laughs at those suggestions I will delete their posts. Deal? :)

Back