Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@Inqnuam @NCMacGuy @yosoyoco,

Please check whether you have a device called DMAC in IORegistryExplorer.
@CaseySJ

I have no DMAC device showing in IORegistryExplorer.

After adding @StefanAM's SSDT-DMAC.aml file to OC/ACPI and activating it in config.plist, then rebooting, a DMAC device appeared in IORegistryExplorer. However, board Ethernet and WiFi were still disabled and Apple Ethernet was active.

DMAC Entry.jpg

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

- `PNP0200`, if missing, add ***SSDT-DMAC***. Adds Direct Memory Access [(DMA) Controller](https://binaryterms.com/direct-memory-access-dma.html).

Just added SSDT-DMAC.aml to my Z390 Designare and everything is still working fine:
  • AppleVTD
  • DMAC
  • Ethernet
  • WiFi
  • Apple TB-to-GbE Adapter
I will add this SSDT to the standard EFI next month with OpenCore 0.7.1.

Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 11.31.44 AM.png

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@CaseySJ

I have no DMAC device showing in IORegistryExplorer.

After adding @StefanAM's SSDT-DMAC.aml file to OC/ACPI and activating it in config.plist, then rebooting, a DMAC device appeared in IORegistryExplorer. However, board Ethernet and WiFi were still disabled and Apple Ethernet was active.
Just updated the table. We need to keep looking for differences. There must be something?!?!!

Suggestion 1:
Please try loading the attached BIOS profile directly into BIOS Setup (Save & Exit --> Load Profile). You may want to save your current settings first. These settings assume AMD GPU is in Slot 1.

Suggestion 2:
Try disabling Internal Graphics in BIOS Setup. Then your i9-9900K effectively becomes i9-9900KF (same as @Inqnuam).

Attachments

• BIOS-4-setting.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 46
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z690 Aero G
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@CaseySJ

Just updated the table. We need to keep looking for differences. There must be something?!?!!

Suggestion 1:
Please try loading the attached BIOS profile directly into BIOS Setup (Save & Exit --> Load Profile). You may want to save your current settings first. These settings assume AMD GPU is in Slot 1.

Saved my BIOS settings and imported your BIOS-4-settings. NO CHANGE in Ethernet/WiFi.

Suggestion 2:
Try disabling Internal Graphics in BIOS Setup. Then your i9-9900K effectively becomes i9-9900KF (same as @Inqnuam).

Disabled Internal Graphics in BIOS. NO CHANGE in Ethernet/WiFi

About the last thing we haven't compared is our config.plist files. Worth a try? I have never used the HackinDROM app for OC updates, instead doing it manually. Perhaps there are some difference(s) there causing the different results.

I'm fairly sure my Big Sur installation was not a clean install, but an update from Mojave. Perhaps I'll try a fresh install of Big Sur on an external drive.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@CaseySJ

Saved my BIOS settings and imported your BIOS-4-settings. NO CHANGE in Ethernet/WiFi.

Disabled Internal Graphics in BIOS. NO CHANGE in Ethernet/WiFi
Thanks -- this is helpful.

About the last thing we haven't compared is our config.plist files. Worth a try? I have never used the HackinDROM app for OC updates, instead doing it manually. Perhaps there are some difference(s) there causing the different results.

I'm fairly sure my Big Sur installation was not a clean install, but an update from Mojave. Perhaps I'll try a fresh install of Big Sur on an external drive.
Good idea. The EFI can be downloaded from HackinDROM, which will ensure a high degree of consistency.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
** Looking for one LG UltraFine 5K and one Apple Thunderbolt Display Owner **

Reason:
  • To install modified BIOS (via Q-Flash in BIOS Setup) containing Apple Thunderbolt drivers and check:​
    • Whether Thunderbolt monitor powers on doing BIOS and OpenCore Picker​
    • Whether Thunderbolt monitor's on-board devices are functional during BIOS and OpenCore Picker​
    • Whether Thunderbolt monitor is more reliable in any way than before​

Prerequisites:
  • Must own Gigabyte Z390 Designare Hackintosh running Mojave, Catalina, or Big Sur
  • Boot loader must be OpenCore
  • Must be running BIOS F9i (either the official F9i or one of Elias' modified versions)
  • Must own either (a) LG UltraFine 5K or (b) Apple Thunderbolt Display
  • LG UltraFine 5K can be either latest model (27MD5KLB-B) or previous version (27MD5KL-B)
Ideally you should have 75 or more posts so that Private Messaging is open to you.
CaseySJ, if you don't need to have a modded Thunderbolt chip, I have the prerequisites and an Apple Thunderbolt Display.

Motherboard
ASUS ProArt Z690-CREATOR WIFI
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
@CaseySJ

Here's my test results and info

BIOS: Modded NHI
CPU: i9-9900K
GPU: iGPU (No dGPU)
IOReg AppleVTD present: Yes
IOReg DMAC present: No (Unless using SSDT-DMAC.aml)
MaciASL DMAR present: Yes
Networking Broken: Yes (except Aquantia)
Thunderbolt Devices: LG UltraFine 5K latest model

I flashed the BIOS and used your SSDT and BIOS profile, except I then changed the BIOS to use IGFX instead of PCI slot 1 since I no longer have a GPU.

My integrated Wi-Fi and built in Ethernet are still broken after these changes. Aquantia NIC works fine. SSDT-DMAC.aml did not fix it, but added DMAC to IOReg.

With regards to my monitor, I can't use it preboot at all, before or after these settings. A little more about this monitor:

With an RX 580 (that I no longer have), I could POST and use it if I connected it to the DP-In port. Other operating systems worked fine, but I had to configure iGPU to not be headless, or macOS would freeze on wake. Using the settings in your iGPU only EFI are what I use to avoid that. Occasionally, the monitor doesn't turn on when powering on the PC, and I need to unplug/replug it, but no sleep/wake issues.

With iGPU only, I can't boot. Plugging in the monitor makes me lose all video, and I have to restart. I can't get video back. However, I can boot with a normal monitor, plug in the TB monitor after booting into macOS, unplug the DP/HDMI monitor, and macOS works fine with it. Interesting test result is that (after flashing BIOS, not sure about stock F9i), is that I can enter the BIOS, then plug in the monitor (lose video and need to power off and on), the TB monitor will show the POST screen for a second, before both monitors go dark. In all cases, it has been impossible for me to boot with iGPU only and the LG monitor attached, even with a non-TB monitor connected, and hotplugging the LG monitor before booting into macOS requires me to restart with it disconnected to get video

Last edited:
Motherboard
ASUS ProArt Z690-CREATOR WIFI
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Something new I noticed. My XHC5 is now XHC3.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z690 Aero G
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Good idea. The EFI can be downloaded from HackinDROM, which will ensure a high degree of consistency.

@CaseySJ

I installed a virgin Big Sur 11.4 on an external drive. Using your BIOS setting, internal graphics disabled, board Ethernet and WiFi are still disabled, Apple Ethernet works.

I will try HackinDROM, which will be a new adventure, to generate a new EFI folder to test.

EDIT:

Since I live in the "country" with glacially slow HughesNet satellite internet service, and the tiny HackinDROM app file is going to take 8 minutes to download, I took CaseySJ's EFI file for OC 0.7.0 and modified it for this experiment.

I added in the new SSDT Thunderbolt file, and the SSDT-DMAC file to ACPI, entered my Platform Info, disabled DisableIoMapper, and removed dart=0.

Booted from this new EFI folder with the BIOS set with CaseySJ's settings, and with internal graphics disabled.

Nothing changed -- board Ethernet and WiFi are still disabled, and Apple Thunderbolt Ethernet is active.

I also changed the TB3 to TB adapter for the Apple TB Ethernet adapter from a Cable Matters to an Apple TB3 to TB adapter which made no difference.

This pretty well exhausts all the differences between my and CaseySJ's systems, except for the CPU model.

This is the end of my attempts. The "mad scientist's" experiment failed until somebody comes up with another idea.

=========
BTW I finally got the HackinDROM app downloaded. The icon would momentarily appear in my menubar and then disappear (crash?) So I gave up on trying to use it.
=========

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
@CaseySJ

Here's my test results and info

BIOS: Modded NHI
CPU: i9-9900K
GPU: iGPU (No dGPU)
IOReg AppleVTD present: Yes
IOReg DMAC present: No (Unless using SSDT-DMAC.aml)
MaciASL DMAR present: Yes
Networking Broken: Yes (except Aquantia)
Thunderbolt Devices: LG UltraFine 5K latest model

I flashed the BIOS and used your SSDT and BIOS profile, except I then changed the BIOS to use IGFX instead of PCI slot 1 since I no longer have a GPU.

My integrated Wi-Fi and built in Ethernet are still broken after these changes. Aquantia NIC works fine. SSDT-DMAC.aml did not fix it, but added DMAC to IOReg.

With regards to my monitor, I can't use it preboot at all, before or after these settings. A little more about this monitor:

With an RX 580, I could POST and use it if I connected it to the DP-In port. Other operating systems worked fine, but I had to configure iGPU to not be headless, or macOS would freeze on wake. Using the settings in your iGPU only EFI are what I use to avoid that. Occasionally, the monitor doesn't turn on when powering on the PC, and I need to unplug/replug it, but no sleep/wake issues.

With iGPU only, I can't boot. Plugging in the monitor makes me lose all video, and I have to restart. I can't get video back. However, I can boot with a normal monitor, plug in the TB monitor after booting into macOS, unplug the DP/HDMI monitor, and macOS works fine with it. Interesting test result is that (after flashing BIOS, not sure about stock F9i), is that I can enter the BIOS, then plug in the monitor (lose video and need to power off and on), the TB monitor will show the POST screen for a second, before both monitors go dark. In all cases, it has been impossible for me to boot with iGPU only and the LG monitor attached, even with a non-TB monitor connected, and hotplugging the LG monitor before booting into macOS requires me to restart with it disconnected to get video
Interesting results ! Until now, ThunderboltNhi driver included on BIOS doesn't allow us to achieve displaying POST on Thunderbolt Display.

Just to clarify something when you say "... but I had to configure iGPU to not be headless, or macOS would freeze on wake...".
If RX580 output display-port is connected to motherboard DP-IN, IGPU is not used. You can stay with headless IGPU and use RX580 through thunderbolt.