Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi all, I'm having a few system lock ups using Logic software, only just started appearing (without any updates/installations) - Am rolling back to a previous backup but wondered if anyone had had the kind of panic report attached and if they had some suggested solutions, Still on Mojave 10.14.6.

Thanks a lot,

Silas
best to update your kexts

I had to pull the GB TR AIC from my TRX40 build in the latest Big Sur 11.3+ due to freezes. This card is one I've used in previous Z390 and X570 builds. I re-flashed tonight using the recommended firmware from the repository and Big Sur now seems stable with the TR AIC. Thanks!

I know this is another mobo and I'm not asking for help, but I saw one interesting change with this firmware update: DSB2 no longer contains a USB port (shown in Spoiler). This port only appeared after changing the SMBIOS from iMacPro1,1 to MacPro7,1 when using the previous firmware.

In testing checksums, I'm now not certain what firmware I'd flashed onto the chip. Using Hex Fiend, it says in the DROM section, "GIGABYTEZ390 DESIGNARE", so maybe a version intended for the Z390 mobo. There are no matches with NVM 20,21,23,33,43,50,71.

@CaseySJ Hi, as you recommend I flashed my TRv1 with the MacOSFirmware (DSM2) post#16393 but now the USB is gone - not shown in IOReg / PCI or Hackintool (Catalina or Big Sur)... do I need a new SSDT, changes in BIOS or anything went bad? In the moment TB3 not really used but thinking about going back to NVM23-Elias64FR... Also can you tell me what is not working in ig Sur with the EliasFR? thx
I noticed that too so I've added a note to the Repository shown below. If we connect a Thunderbolt Dock then we can connect USB-C based USB 2.x and USB 3.x devices to a USB-C port on the Dock.

Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 6.38.16 AM.png

Hi all, I'm having a few system lock ups using Logic software, only just started appearing (without any updates/installations) - Am rolling back to a previous backup but wondered if anyone had had the kind of panic report attached and if they had some suggested solutions, Still on Mojave 10.14.6.

Thanks a lot,

Silas
The panic report shows the following kexts among numerous others. The backtrace suggests a problem with VirtualSMC, but if it has not been updated then it may not be the real cause.

It may be best to uninstall only the UAD, SoundGrid, and MOTU drivers shown in red. Then reboot and test Logic Pro. If it's stable, install only one of these drives at a time (download latest version) and test Logic Pro again. Repeat until all the necessary ones have been reinstalled.

Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 6.49.18 AM.png

The panic report shows the following kexts among numerous others. The backtrace suggests a problem with VirtualSMC, but if it has not been updated then it may not be the real cause.

It may be best to uninstall only the UAD, SoundGrid, and MOTU drivers shown in red. Then reboot and test Logic Pro. If it's stable, install only one of these drives at a time (download latest version) and test Logic Pro again. Repeat until all the necessary ones have been reinstalled.

View attachment 519065
If I remember well the issue may come from waves soundgrid which isn't supported on latests Big Sur
Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 16.02.04.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 16.08.30.png

Last edited:

View attachment 519065
Thanks CaseySJ, that would make sense given the behaviour of logic on opening some sessions and crashing - as UAD plugs not always used. The UAD software can also do weird things in background. Other drivers unchanged but still could be creating errors.

I'll try doing as you say with each one, hopefully will solve.

S

Thanks a lot,

Silas
Are you using Little Snitch on this system?

Here they all are...passed-through!
Just curious on your process for getting the commander to show up in iCue for MacOS. I'm able to block the UPS via the kext, and I can control fans though liquidctl and rgb through OpenRGB, but it would just be even better to use the native app as you have. Any help or tips on what has worked or not worked for you would be great!

Theres anything I must know before updating to 11.4 ? Thunderbolt compatibility or something else?
Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 23.54.07.png

Back