Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I noticed that a lot of ppl are on BIOS F9. I'm still on F7 with CSM unlocked. Is there good reason to upgrade to F9i or not really? Currently on Clover but it appears that OC is the way forward so I plan to make the transition at some point in next few months.
BIOS Releases Notes (from Gigabyte official website)
Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 00.26.37.png

Its always a good idea switching from Clover to OpenCore!

Hello @zk2004mb,

If you have Bootstrap enabled in the OpenCore 0.6.5 config.plist, temporarily disable it from these two EFI folders:
  • New installation USB
  • Internal SSD
Disconnect the old EFI USB. Now the system should only have:
  • New installation USB
  • Internal SSD
Boot from the Installation USB. When OpenCore Picker appears, press spacebar to reveal additional options and then select Reset NVRAM.

When system reboot, try booting from the Internal SSD. Does it work?

If not, then perform a CMOS Reset by following the instructions in your motherboard manual. This will reset BIOS parameters to factory defaults, so configure all BIOS parameters properly once again.

Then boot from the Internal SSD. Does it work?

Which firmware is flashed on the GC-Titan Ridge? Have you tried the DSM2 version that we recommend for Big Sur?
Thank you a lot! I did exactly as you said, now I can boot normally from SSD. I also changed the quirks back to Bootstrap after reset NVRAM, no further problems.

As for the firmware, I remembered I used the one for Gigabyte Xtreme on-board controller. I haven't tried the DSM2 version yet. The firmware I was using was very stable for MacOS 11.2.1 before the re-installation so I never intended to change it.

Hello @ol2003,

We found that the NVM23 we modified for GC-Titan Ridge works in Catalina, but not in the latest versions of Big Sur. Hence Big Sur users should flash the other firmware (by DSM2) that we uploaded to the Repository.

I had to pull the GB TR AIC from my TRX40 build in the latest Big Sur 11.3+ due to freezes. This card is one I've used in previous Z390 and X570 builds. I re-flashed tonight using the recommended firmware from the repository and Big Sur now seems stable with the TR AIC. Thanks!

I know this is another mobo and I'm not asking for help, but I saw one interesting change with this firmware update: DSB2 no longer contains a USB port (shown in Spoiler). This port only appeared after changing the SMBIOS from iMacPro1,1 to MacPro7,1 when using the previous firmware.

In testing checksums, I'm now not certain what firmware I'd flashed onto the chip. Using Hex Fiend, it says in the DROM section, "GIGABYTEZ390 DESIGNARE", so maybe a version intended for the Z390 mobo. There are no matches with NVM 20,21,23,33,43,50,71.

With the older NVM23:
TB3-XHC5.png

With the new, stable firmware:
Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 7.55.36 PM.png

@CaseySJ Hi, as you recommend I flashed my TRv1 with the MacOSFirmware (DSM2) post#16393 but now the USB is gone - not shown in IOReg / PCI or Hackintool (Catalina or Big Sur)... do I need a new SSDT, changes in BIOS or anything went bad? In the moment TB3 not really used but thinking about going back to NVM23-Elias64FR... Also can you tell me what is not working in ig Sur with the EliasFR? thx

@rj510 Hi, interesting. What to do? or usb is not interesting since TB3 is working?

@rj510 Hi, interesting. What to do? or usb is not interesting since TB3 is working?

My issue with USB on the TB3 AIC is probably restricted to the AMD platform.

There are some who are using the GB TRX40 mobo that supports a TB3 AIC, having a TB header on the mobo. They have TB and USB functionality on those mobos.

My mobo is an MSI TRX40 that does not have a TB header and there was no USB functionality in Mojave, Catalina or Big Sur while I was using the iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS. What was surprising was the brief tease of USB functionality, cut short by the version 3 and 4 Big Sur betas after I'd switched to the MacPro7,1 SMBIOS.

On these betas, macOS crashed 2 to 5 min after booting; there was no stability until the AIC was removed. At least now, after flashing the new firmware, there is stability and TB function. To me, stability is more important than more USB ports.

Hi all, I'm having a few system lock ups using Logic software, only just started appearing (without any updates/installations) - Am rolling back to a previous backup but wondered if anyone had had the kind of panic report attached and if they had some suggested solutions, Still on Mojave 10.14.6.

Thanks a lot,

Silas

Attachments

• Silas_PanicReport.pdf
    74.4 KB · Views: 43
Back