Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Just an FYI. I updated to 11.1 about a day ago and my Highpoint RAID 2720 is now failing again. I reinstalled the kext from tech support and it appears to be rebuilding o_Oo_O alarm has stopped too.

I'm using 10TB HGST drives which have the lowest failure rate of any drive, so I replaced one last time but I really don't think that's the issue here.
I have used those RAID cards (I still have a few). Have you checked to make sure the firmware and drivers are the very latest?

Have they even posted a video to show that they have it working?
Yes they posted a clear video. But why would the procedure require remote control unless they don’t want the procedure to become public knowledge. This means they might try to somehow hide or protect the changes, but I’m just speculating.

Yes they posted a clear video. But why would the procedure require remote control unless they don’t want the procedure to become public knowledge. This means they might try to somehow hide or protect the changes, but I’m just speculating.
@maccaroni @simple.user
I find it baffling that a company would choose to obscure or charge a premium for a method that enables the basic functionality of their products. They might be installing a "when all else fails" universal driver or it may be tied to the SMC. It's an odd problem.

At this point, I'll not purchase any more equipment with a connector that is more "complicated" than USB3.

Hi all,

I have a weird issue on a Gigabyte Z390 Designare.
Basically I've built an OpenCore configuration BUT the boot picker gives black screen.

I tried:
- F12, select UEFI OS...
- Brand new OpenCore 069 update
- External Picker
- Built in
- Another different OpenCore EFI, just to see

I'm unable to to get to the icons or boot list. Just black screen
It's the first time this happens to me. I'm basically unable to use OpenCore.
Clover shows runs no problem.
Should I update the Bios?

Any idea how to solve this?

Hi all,

I have a weird issue on a Gigabyte Z390 Designare.
Basically I've built an OpenCore configuration BUT the boot picker gives black screen.

I tried:
- F12, select UEFI OS...
- Brand new OpenCore 069 update
- External Picker
- Built in
- Another different OpenCore EFI, just to see

I'm unable to to get to the icons or boot list. Just black screen
It's the first time this happens to me. I'm basically unable to use OpenCore.
Clover shows runs no problem.
Should I update the Bios?

Any idea how to solve this?
Hello @zzmadd,

The best thing to do would be:
  • Refer to “Quick Reference” spoiler at the top of Post 1 for link to OpenCore 0.6.9 mini-guide.
  • Download the EFI from that guide and copy your serial numbers into the file “config-AMD-GPU.plist”.
  • Then rename that file to just “config.plist”.
  • Now the new EFI folder is ready to use.

The backup procedure for Big Sur is the same as for Catalina. There is one weird thing to note about Big Sur, however:
  • The first backup of Big Sur uses Apple's "APFS Replication" tool to duplicate both the System and User volumes.
  • The second and all subsequent backups will only clone the User volume.
  • So if the first backup was done with Big Sur 11.3, for example, and you make another backup after installing Big Sur 11.4, the System volume on the backup disk will still be 11.3.
    • If you would like to backup 11.4 to the same backup disk, it will be necessary to erase the backup disk in Disk Utility and then run CCC again.

Update: Modified the Carbon Copy Cloner guide:

View attachment 517771
I just purchased CCC 5 at CaseySJ's recommendation, and just made my first Clone with it. In reading some of the documentation, what they advise is to boot off of the clone, and then you can run the Apple updates on it. They also suggest that you can wait until you have a need to restore from the clone, and at that time install all the updates before migrating it back.

Doing this they say will avoid the scenario where you would have to erase, and thereby lose your backup.

@CaseySJ

I wanted to back-up my EFI drive with CCC (is this not a good approach?). I used HackinDROM App to mount the EFI, but when I select it in CCC, I get an error, and I don't now how to resolve the issue.

Have you run into this or know how to resolve? There is a process in CCC for changing the UUID, but my "EFI-GIG-236" mounted drive does not even show up in the left hand pain of CCC. It DOES show up when I try to select it as my source, but when I select it, that's when I receive the error.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 9.34.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 9.34.10 PM.png
    22.9 KB · Views: 61
@CaseySJ

I wanted to back-up my EFI drive with CCC (is this not a good approach?). I used HackinDROM App to mount the EFI, but when I select it in CCC, I get an error, and I don't now how to resolve the issue.

Have you run into this or know how to resolve? There is a process in CCC for changing the UUID, but my "EFI-GIG-236" mounted drive does not even show up in the left hand pain of CCC. It DOES show up when I try to select it as my source, but when I select it, that's when I receive the error.

Thank you!
Please see the CCC backup mini-guide found in the Quick Reference spoiler. As explained there, we need to add EFIClone.sh as a post-backup task.

Screen Shot 2021-05-15 at 6.41.03 AM.png

Back