Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Yes, I did. I'm a bit confused. Do I use the same steps as the Z490?
Also, what will be better, a brand new installation or update?
Thanks again.
If you are using OpenCore, I would recommend the following:
  • Make a full bootable backup of Catalina.
  • Then use System Preferences --> Software Update to install Big Sur.
If you are using Clover, I would recommend the following:
  • Make a full bootable backup of Catalina.
  • Switch from Clover to OpenCore by following this guide.
  • Then use System Preferences --> Software Update to install Big Sur.
Of course it's possible to perform a brand new installation of Big Sur, but that will be more complicated and is not necessary.

Making a full bootable backup of Catalina is absolutely essential! Anything can go wrong...

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900k
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I'M BACK... from the bowels of hell!

A little older now, but have a working Hack, having identified all incompatible hardware and issues... which I will detail and discuss later.

Quick note: There are more issues with using F9j than just USB access via Thunderbolt. The main reason I could not get my machine stable seems to be related to insisting on using F9j (yeah, I can admit it). I could attempt the same install multiple times, same BIOS settings, same everything, but get various and random failures and lockups at different stages. Believe me, I tried just about EVERYTHING, with different hardware configs, disconnected peripherals, even another Z390 board. Nothing would resolve the issues.

Sometimes I could even get it to complete an installation, but then there would be periodic lock-ups, even in Big Sur. Admitting defeat, and begrudgingly moved back to F9i (modified). This meant loosing Resizable-Bar support, but... everything became stable. A successful installation process was finally achived, and the process was repeatable.

It will be very interesting to see what it will take to be able to use F9k, once released. Hint: I tried disabling Resize-bar Support, and that still didn't resolve the issues. Fun to be had.

Moving forward now, I still have several issues to resolve, but will tackle each one of them separately.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900k
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Struck by Thunderbolt.

Having flashed two Thunderbolt 3 chips on two boards successfully, I thought the gods of tech were smiling upon me.

In macOS, flashed Thunderbolt 3 support is perfect, from all I've seen so far. My Universal Audio equipment is hot-pluggable, and all devices are seen and accessible. [I am seeing the issue where Plug-Ins are going Disabled, but I think that is going to be easily fixable, just setting adjustments. If anyone has info on this though, please let me know. Thanks!]

However, in Windows 10, and I mean BOTH of my two installations of Windows 10, Thunderbolt is dead. This will not work for me, as most of my work is in Windows. :(

In Windows, I'm seeing: "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"

I've tried installing the latest Thunderbolt drivers (which were already installed before anyway), and now they fail to install.

Is there a way yet to have both working? What should I do at this point?

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'M BACK... from the bowels of hell!
We were just lamenting over how painless OpenCore updates have become that we no longer gain a sense of accomplishment. No pain, no gain.

And then you come along from the bowels of hell. And the balance has been restored.

May the 4th (be with you). :)

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

However, in Windows 10, and I mean BOTH of my two installations of Windows 10, Thunderbolt is dead. This will not work for me, as most of my work is in Windows. :(

In Windows, I'm seeing: "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"

I've tried installing the latest Thunderbolt drivers (which were already installed before anyway), and now they fail to install.

We warn people against BIOS F9j and we warn people about flashed controllers being less than perfect in Windows and Linux: ;)

Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 2.11.04 PM.png

Motherboard
ASRock W480 Creator
CPU
i9-10850K
Graphics
GT 710
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
That’s a wonderful article. It sounds plausible — copper is a much better conductor than aluminum. The Macronix chip might be more power hungry than the Winbond. That would certainly explain our past difficulties with the chip.

Are you planning to make the copper modifications?
My soldering wasn't up to scratch, so I order a higher quality clip that will accept the DuPont cables.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900KS
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
  5. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. iBook
  3. Power Mac
  4. PowerBook
  5. Quadra
  6. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Struck by Thunderbolt.

Having flashed two Thunderbolt 3 chips on two boards successfully, I thought the gods of tech were smiling upon me.

In macOS, flashed Thunderbolt 3 support is perfect, from all I've seen so far. My Universal Audio equipment is hot-pluggable, and all devices are seen and accessible. [I am seeing the issue where Plug-Ins are going Disabled, but I think that is going to be easily fixable, just setting adjustments. If anyone has info on this though, please let me know. Thanks!]

If you're using the GB Z390 Designare's onboard Thunderbolt and you're mostly concerned with UAD devices, you can probably revert your flashed Thunderbolt to the stock setting. I'm using the UAD Apollo 8 Quad (TB2) and hotplug works great with Mojave, Big Sur, and Windows 10 Pro beginning with OC 0.6.3 without flashing the TB chip. If you flash back, you may need to reinstall the driver in Windows. YMMV... If you don't need the UAD in Windows, maybe you can leave it be...

NorthAmTransAm

Motherboard
Asus Z370-A Prime II
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
If you're using the GB Z390 Designare's onboard Thunderbolt and you're mostly concerned with UAD devices, you can probably revert your flashed Thunderbolt to the stock setting. I'm using the UAD Apollo 8 Quad (TB2) and hotplug works great with Mojave, Big Sur, and Windows 10 Pro beginning with OC 0.6.3 without flashing the TB chip. If you flash back, you may need to reinstall the driver in Windows. YMMV...
I'm realizing more and more that ICM mode, for most of us, is actually the better option. I understand the obsession however.

I have an EX3 and an EX4 and they work more smoothly with OEM firmware.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
@Inqnuam - I just tested updating to 0.6.9, and when I clicked on 'Update Opencore', it crashed the app and I had to re-open via the Application folder. I think last time you mentioned it may have been code you forgot to remove, but it looks like it is still occurring after that change also.... Not sure if I am the only one with this issue.