CPU
Intel i9-9900k
Graphics
AMD Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Updated to 11.3.1 (20E241), update process ran smoothly, no issue so far (~2 hours use).

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
** GC-Titan Ridge Owners **
Please read if you have flashed your Thunderbolt firmware chip (blue dot chip)​

In Big Sur 11.3 onwards, the firmware GC-TITAN-RIDGE-NVM23-Elias64Fr.bin is not stable, and macOS Big Sur will crash. You are advised to flash the DSM firmware called TitanRidgeMacOSFirmware.bin. This firmware has been posted to the Repository. Although this has been tested on GC-Titan Ridge V1.0, it may well apply to V2.0 of the card as well.

Credit: @Matic
Credit for Firmware: DSM2 (MacRumors user name)

Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 10.19.36 AM.png

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
Intel i9-9900k
Graphics
AMD Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
** GC-Titan Ridge Owners **
Please read if you have flashed your Thunderbolt firmware chip (blue dot chip)​

In Big Sur 11.3 onwards, the firmware GC-TITAN-RIDGE-NVM23-Elias64Fr.bin is not stable, and macOS Big Sur will crash. You are advised to flash the DSM firmware called TitanRidgeMacOSFirmware.bin. This firmware has been posted to the Repository. Although this has been tested on GC-Titan Ridge V1.0, it may well apply to V2.0 of the card as well.

Credit: @Matic
Credit for Firmware: DSM2 (MacRumors user name)

View attachment 517894
I just flashed the TitanRidgeMacOSFirmware.bin (even though I didn't have kennel panics with NVM23-Elias64Fr.bin but hey what can I say, I love tinkering).

No issue so far, everything worked as before (TB fully operational on the AIC, including LG Ultrafine display), we'll see with time.

I do however have a cold boot issue since I flashed a custom firmware on the GC-TITAN RIDGE (any firmware except the stock one). I did not mentioned it earlier since I very rarely cold boot.
Every time I boot from a cold state (power off) :
  • TB is not operational in BIOS (no display, no USB)
  • Display shows up in macOS login screen (but no USB)
  • A soft reboot is necessary to get USB working
  • Everything stays operational until the next shutdown & cold boot (hibernation OK, soft reboot OK, MB reset OK)
I suppose my BIOS is not able to put the firmware in an "operational" state, which is corrected once reached macOS (but require a reboot to correctly allocate hardware resources the first time ?) and once in the correct state the AIC will remain operational as long as it's powered.

I believe it's a common known issue since I've already read about it somewhere. Is there any fix / workaround that could work on my exotic combo (Designare Z390 w/ onboard TITAN RIDGE + AIC GC-TITAN RIDGE) ? I tried tinkering with the BIOS options but they doesn't seem to make any difference whatsoever.

Is there a dedicated thread for discussion on those TB firmwares ?

Motherboard
GIGABYTE DESIGNARE Z390
CPU
i7 8086K
Graphics
RX570
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi everyone, has anyone had an issue with updating to 11.3.1 where the update just doesn't seem to 'take'? By that I mean the process seems to have worked, couple of reboots, usual Apple logo with '8 minutes remaining', reboot again... but OS seems to think I'm still on 11.2.4? I've been keeping pretty up to date with OC and Big Sur in recent months and never seen this. I've tried to reset NVRAM incase that's got anything to do with it. I don't have the picker displaying I just let it auto boot and it always seems to have worked in the past. Hoping there's something obvious I might have missed!? I'm on OC 0.6.9 by the way. Cheers!

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi everyone, has anyone had an issue with updating to 11.3.1 where the update just doesn't seem to 'take'? By that I mean the process seems to have worked, couple of reboots, usual Apple logo with '8 minutes remaining', reboot again... but OS seems to think I'm still on 11.2.4? I've been keeping pretty up to date with OC and Big Sur in recent months and never seen this. I've tried to reset NVRAM incase that's got anything to do with it. I don't have the picker displaying I just let it auto boot and it always seems to have worked in the past. Hoping there's something obvious I might have missed!? I'm on OC 0.6.9 by the way. Cheers!
Please see this post:
They temporarily set csr-active-config to 67000000 to allow macOS to update.

Please try this and let us know if it helps.
Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 2.53.26 PM.png

Last edited:
Motherboard
GIGABYTE DESIGNARE Z390
CPU
i7 8086K
Graphics
RX570
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Please see this post:

Thanks for the speedy response Casey, forgive my ignorance, am I changing this 'AAAAAA==' entry to '67000000'?
Screenshot 2021-05-07 at 21.40.34.png

Motherboard
GIGABYTE DESIGNARE Z390
CPU
i7 8086K
Graphics
RX570
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Figured it out, remembered to use ProperTree instead of TextEdit (sorry!). Changing to 67000000 DID work, system now updated.

Changed it back to '00000000'. Is this now likely to be required for each update? Weird that I've never had to do it before!

Also, now getting glitchy YouTube audio in Safari which is a bummer... any suggested fixes for that?

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Figured it out, remembered to use ProperTree instead of TextEdit (sorry!). Changing to 67000000 DID work, system now updated.

Changed it back to '00000000'. Is this now likely to be required for each update? Weird that I've never had to do it before!
This problem seems to affect a very limited number of users. You may want to just keep it at 67000000 and see what happens...

Also, now getting glitchy YouTube audio in Safari which is a bummer... any suggested fixes for that?
  • Was this happening before the macOS update?
  • There are several audio output ports/devices. Which one are you using?

Motherboard
z390 Designaire
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
AMD Radeon VII
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
  2. 512K
  3. Classic
  4. Lisa
  5. Plus
  6. Portable
  7. Power Mac
  8. PowerBook
  9. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Sweet! ok so just to clarify for myself...

Do I need to quit IPG every time I want to put it to sleep or will the code you posted be a full fix needing to only be run once and from there on I can keep IPG running every time in the background before sleep?

Also incase it has negative effects, what is the code to reverse what the line of code does that you posted?
IPG prevent sleep while it is running. You need to quit it to allow sleep. UserEventAgent also sometimes gets stuck and prevents sleep. Running the terminal command purges running instances that are preventing sleep. I haven't determined what causes UAE to to stick but I believe its related to USB misconfiguration.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900KS
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
  5. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. iBook
  3. Power Mac
  4. PowerBook
  5. Quadra
  6. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Please see this post:

Hi @CaseySJ : The "default"OC config you've been uploading (thank you) has a default setting of config<nvram<delete<csr-active-config. Should we start adjusting the value as needed and move csr-active-config from the nvram<delete to nvram<add ?

Attachments

• Default Config settings.png
    Default Config settings.png
    139.1 KB · Views: 66