Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi everyone, has anyone had an issue with updating to 11.3.1 where the update just doesn't seem to 'take'? By that I mean the process seems to have worked, couple of reboots, usual Apple logo with '8 minutes remaining', reboot again... but OS seems to think I'm still on 11.2.4? I've been keeping pretty up to date with OC and Big Sur in recent months and never seen this. I've tried to reset NVRAM incase that's got anything to do with it. I don't have the picker displaying I just let it auto boot and it always seems to have worked in the past. Hoping there's something obvious I might have missed!? I'm on OC 0.6.9 by the way. Cheers!
Please see this post:
They temporarily set csr-active-config to 67000000 to allow macOS to update.

Please try this and let us know if it helps.
Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 2.53.26 PM.png

Last edited:
Please see this post:

Thanks for the speedy response Casey, forgive my ignorance, am I changing this 'AAAAAA==' entry to '67000000'?
Screenshot 2021-05-07 at 21.40.34.png

Figured it out, remembered to use ProperTree instead of TextEdit (sorry!). Changing to 67000000 DID work, system now updated.

Changed it back to '00000000'. Is this now likely to be required for each update? Weird that I've never had to do it before!

Also, now getting glitchy YouTube audio in Safari which is a bummer... any suggested fixes for that?

Last edited:
Figured it out, remembered to use ProperTree instead of TextEdit (sorry!). Changing to 67000000 DID work, system now updated.

Changed it back to '00000000'. Is this now likely to be required for each update? Weird that I've never had to do it before!
This problem seems to affect a very limited number of users. You may want to just keep it at 67000000 and see what happens...

Also, now getting glitchy YouTube audio in Safari which is a bummer... any suggested fixes for that?
  • Was this happening before the macOS update?
  • There are several audio output ports/devices. Which one are you using?

Sweet! ok so just to clarify for myself...

Do I need to quit IPG every time I want to put it to sleep or will the code you posted be a full fix needing to only be run once and from there on I can keep IPG running every time in the background before sleep?

Also incase it has negative effects, what is the code to reverse what the line of code does that you posted?
IPG prevent sleep while it is running. You need to quit it to allow sleep. UserEventAgent also sometimes gets stuck and prevents sleep. Running the terminal command purges running instances that are preventing sleep. I haven't determined what causes UAE to to stick but I believe its related to USB misconfiguration.

Please see this post:

Hi @CaseySJ : The "default"OC config you've been uploading (thank you) has a default setting of config<nvram<delete<csr-active-config. Should we start adjusting the value as needed and move csr-active-config from the nvram<delete to nvram<add ?

Attachments

• Default Config settings.png
    Default Config settings.png
    139.1 KB · Views: 77
Hi @CaseySJ : The "default"OC config you've been uploading (thank you) has a default setting of config<nvram<delete<csr-active-config. Should we start adjusting the value as needed and move csr-active-config from the nvram<delete to nvram<add ?
Actually csr-active-config is in both places. It’s in delete so that we don’t need to reset NVRAM when changing the value. It’s in add to enable or disable SIP. Unless something is not working, the default configuration in the EFI folder does not need to be modified. The previous discussion regarding 67000000 is only for those very rare cases where a macOS update begins but does not complete properly.

Hi @CaseySJ, I would like to install Windows on my machine to run a particular software. As of now, my OSX Mojave is installed in the first M.2 slot (closes to the CPU). From your guide, you did mentioned that if we want to install windows, it's better to install on the first M.2 slot and Mac OS on the second M.2 slot, and also to install Windows first before Mac OS. But since I have already installed Mac OS on the first M.2 slot, can I just remove it temporary, get a new SSD and installed windows in this slot. After the installation, I will install the original Mac OS SSD in the second M.2 slot. Will this work? Is there anything that I should be aware of, like the BIOS setting? Thank you.

Hi, @CaseySJ, I have Z390 Designare board. After upgrade to Big Sur 11.3, previous working config starts to freeze,

The freezes are totally random. After system freeze, I have to press the power button for 5 seconds to turn off computer, reset button won't work. So I tried your config, with some modification, but it still freeze.

Another computer is Z390 Aorus Master, installed with GC-Titan Ridge, I don't know the version. Also has this random freeze.

Both computers using Radeon VII, Thunderbolt card with stock firmware. and here is my oc config for Designare. Please help me.

Thank you!!

Attachments

• OC.rar
    2.3 MB · Views: 69
This problem seems to affect a very limited number of users. You may want to just keep it at 67000000 and see what happens...

• Was this happening before the macOS update?
  • There are several audio output ports/devices. Which one are you using?
Hi Casey,

I'm using a UA Apollo over TB3 via Sonarworks Reference Systemwide, seems to be Systemwide causing the issue. Must be some sort of clash there. A bit annoying but not the end of the world.

Re the 'csr-active-config' changes - in layman's terms what am I actually doing? Enabling/disable System Integrity Protection? Is running with 67000000 leaving me exposed in any way?

Thanks again :)

Back