Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Just to report that things went fairly smooth for upgrades. I was still at OC 0.6.5 and did an upgrade to OC 0.6.8 - no problems whatsoever this time - thanks CaseySJ! Then once I was satisfied with the stability of 0.6.8 I just did System Preferences -> Updates .... it takes a bit of a while and a few automatic reboots - but no intervention whatsoever - and now I'm running Big Sur 11.3. Thanks to all the contributors that maintain this Z390 Gigabyte Designare system up-to-date and in great shape, especially CaseySJ!

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 3.09.56 PM.png

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
There are a couple of ways to change it but one of the easiest is to go to System Preferences | Startup Disk. Unlock it and then select the disk you want to be the default, in your case Catalina disk. The next time you restart the machine Catalina will load unless you pick Windows in the picker.
Thanks for this tip! I tried it and it now boots from macOS Catalina not Win10!

Cheers!

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare F9i
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
We are now living in a no-hassle in-place upgrade world! :)

Successfully upgraded from 11.2.3 to 11.3 yesterday.

Despite CaseySJ's reassurance, a successful in-place upgrade from Mojave 10.14.6 a couple weeks ago, and a successful update from OC 0.6.6 to 0.6.8, I was still a bit skittish: Right before I switched from Clover last month, a Mojave security update had caused a major headache (black screen for 15 minutes after booting).

But this went off without a hitch!

For anyone curious: There were three automatic restarts (not counting the first time I clicked "restart"). After the first, a volume "Macintosh HD" was selected in the OC picker. I suspect this is the hidden System volume that Apple added starting with Catalina. For the second and third, that volume went away, leaving my expected volumes in the picker, where I chose the System drive.

Thanks again to CaseySJ and the OpenCore team!

Big-Sur-11-3-update.png

Motherboard
ASRock W480 Creator
CPU
i9-10850K
Graphics
GT 710
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Yes please try the 3.3V CH341A programmer. If it does not work, then nothing is likely to work. Hopefully the Intel-based W480 will be easier to read than my (former) AMD-based X570 ASRock Creator.
No luck with my first attempt at flashing the W480 Thunderbolt chip. (See below.) This post suggest that the cables on the SOIC8 clip are not thick enough for this job. Hmmm.
% sudo flashrom -p ch341a_spi -r firmware-1.bin
flashrom v1.2 on Darwin 20.3.0 (x86_64)
flashrom is free software, get the source code at https://flashrom.org

Calibrating delay loop... OK.
libusb: info [darwin_claim_interface] no interface found; setting configuration: 1
No EEPROM/flash device found.
Note: flashrom can never write if the flash chip isn't found automatically.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Hi @CaseySJ - I am trying to use the intelwireless and Bluetooth injector files. I downloaded the files via the github link, re-named, added to the KEXT folder and enabled via OpenCoreConfig tool. However, when I restarted the machine without the Fenvi installed, the wireless & Bluetooth would not turn on at all. Is there something that I am missing?

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi @CaseySJ - I am trying to use the intelwireless and Bluetooth injector files. I downloaded the files via the github link, re-named, added to the KEXT folder and enabled via OpenCoreConfig tool. However, when I restarted the machine without the Fenvi installed, the wireless & Bluetooth would not turn on at all. Is there something that I am missing?
The Intel wireless drivers are now packaged into an EFI for this motherboard. The EFI can be downloaded from an earlier post in this thread or with HackinDROM App. Please see Quick Reference spoiler section 1 for links.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
No luck with my first attempt at flashing the W480 Thunderbolt chip. (See below.) This post suggest that the cables on the SOIC8 clip are not thick enough for this job. Hmmm.
% sudo flashrom -p ch341a_spi -r firmware-1.bin
flashrom v1.2 on Darwin 20.3.0 (x86_64)
flashrom is free software, get the source code at https://flashrom.org

Calibrating delay loop... OK.
libusb: info [darwin_claim_interface] no interface found; setting configuration: 1
No EEPROM/flash device found.
Note: flashrom can never write if the flash chip isn't found automatically.
That’s a wonderful article. It sounds plausible — copper is a much better conductor than aluminum. The Macronix chip might be more power hungry than the Winbond. That would certainly explain our past difficulties with the chip.

Are you planning to make the copper modifications?

NorthAmTransAm

Motherboard
Asus Z370-A Prime II
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
That’s a wonderful article. It sounds plausible — copper is a much better conductor than aluminum. The Macronix chip might be more power hungry than the Winbond. That would certainly explain our past difficulties with the chip.

Are you planning to make the copper modifications?

Goodness!

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
The Intel wireless drivers are now packaged into an EFI for this motherboard. The EFI can be downloaded from an earlier post in this thread or with HackinDROM App. Please see Quick Reference spoiler section 1 for links.
Hi @CaseySJ, I just reinstalled OC via Hackindrom (Z390 Designare + OpenIntelWireless), but it still had same issue after boot where WIFI was not working, couldn't find any networks or anything, and the Bluetooth was stating that it was not installed and could not be turned on

Last edited: