Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I’m really curious to try on my x299 board too! I’m close to pulling the trigger but I think I’ll wait a little more to see if gigabyte comes out with theirs. I’m kinda surprised Asus came out with their TB4 card before Gigabyte did. I would think Gigabytes would be easier since it has a 5 pin and 3 pin

From what I can decipher in this image Forcing Power to the card should be as easy as jumping 1 and 2(?). Assuming FORCE_PWR sent to GND does it but I guess it could need the inverse of that (voltage!).

Note: A question actually, is GND pin 2 or pin 3?

Also, it's hard to tell what macOS is going to handle out the gate. It could cover a lot of ground on its own will. My bet is that this is going to be complex.

@CaseySJ Sorry in advance. Let me know if you have any thoughts or advice.

6974b07e58777e5ec1870f28030290bd9746e2d8.png

Of course, I made a bootable backup beforehand (I use Chronosync), so there was little to lose except some time.

Delighted at how painless this was! ...
Glad to hear it! Big Sur is a visual delight, so it’s good to see that your apps are working.

However, when I rebooted, I didn't see an OpenCanopy option to boot into Windows. The new EFI folder created by HackinDROM didn't have the "Microsoft" folder from the old EFI, which I guess is needed in my case. I copied it over, rebooted, and have the boot option now for Windows.

Good point. If we install Windows according to the guidelines in post 1, the Microsoft folder will be in the EFI partition of the Windows SSD instead of the macOS SSD. Then this particular issue won’t occur.

Should I upgrade my Hackintosh to Big Sur? Is it stable right now with OpenCore? Getting tired of the AppStore asking me to upgrade every day lol

IMO, nagging from Apple isn't a good reason to upgrade, though I agree it's annoying. There was a time when a Terminal command could disable some warnings (maybe the one in System Preferences?), but IIRC that stopped working.

If you clone a bootable backup, and your hardware is compatible, you have little to lose.

I upgraded from Mojave to Big Sur yesterday for three main reasons:

1. One of the apps I use professionally will have a major update soon requiring a minimum of Catalina.

2. Apple will likely end security updates for Mojave after releasing the successor to Big Sur this year.

3. CaseySJ's EFI supports Big Sur. I wanted to keep my machine current, in part so that if I ran into problems, I'd be more likely to get help. (The upgrade was smooth and painless, though!)

Much less important: I liked the look of Big Sur based on screenshots I'd seen. (I like the new menu font, but at first glance don't like the amount of white in Finder windows, Safari toolbar, etc.)

My $0.02 worth.

IMO, nagging from Apple isn't a good reason to upgrade, though I agree it's annoying. There was a time when a Terminal command could disable some warnings (maybe the one in System Preferences?), but IIRC that stopped working.

If you clone a bootable backup, and your hardware is compatible, you have little to lose.

I upgraded from Mojave to Big Sur yesterday for three main reasons:

1. One of the apps I use professionally will have a major update soon requiring a minimum of Catalina.

2. Apple will likely end security updates for Mojave after releasing the successor to Big Sur this year.

3. CaseySJ's EFI supports Big Sur. I wanted to keep my machine current, in part so that if I ran into problems, I'd be more likely to get help. (The upgrade was smooth and painless, though!)

Much less important: I liked the look of Big Sur based on screenshots I'd seen. (I like the new menu font, but at first glance don't like the amount of white in Finder windows, Safari toolbar, etc.)

My $0.02 worth.
Aside from our graphics cards, it looks like we have the same exact hardware. Did you upgrade through the appstore?

Should I upgrade my Hackintosh to Big Sur? Is it stable right now with OpenCore? Getting tired of the AppStore asking me to upgrade every day lol
I'd wait until 11.3.0 is released. The major bugs are fixed by then.

Aside from our graphics cards, it looks like we have the same exact hardware. Did you upgrade through the appstore?

Yep! I wrote about it here:

I was originally planning to wait for 11.3, as Stork advised, and for MOTU Digital Performer to be supported in Big Sur.

I got impatient, but DP 10.13 seems fine, and I've had no other problems so far.

Last edited:
Yep! I wrote about it here:

I was originally planning to wait for 11.3, as Stork advised, and for MOTU Digital Performer to be supported in Big Sur.

I got impatient, but DP 10.13 seems fine, and I've had no other problems so far.
What guide did you use to update OpenCore from 0.6.6 to 0. 6.8?

Back