Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Motherboard
GA-Z390-Designare
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 590
Having just switched from my old Clover EFI to CaseySJ's OpenCore EFI, I noticed that the Energy Saver Preferences pane is different.

Previously, it had two sliders - "Computer Sleep" and "Display Sleep." Now it has a single slider "Turn display off after..."

Is this the best/simplest fix, and if not, what is? Is there a way that avoids directly editing kexts in the System folder and disabling SIP - maybe something using Open Core Configurator?

What are the risks and/or potential adverse effects to making this change? If it’s too risky, I’ll let it go.

Thanks!
Is the system definition in the OpenCore config.plist the same as the one in your Clover config.plist?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare F9i
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Is the system definition in the OpenCore config.plist the same as the one in your Clover config.plist?
Yes.

I just noticed that in Apple Menu > "System Information" on the hack, Model Identifier and Serial Number (system) are correct, but the Hardware UUID is not. I don't know where it's getting that UUID.

Back story:

When switching from Clover to OpenCore last week, I copied Model ID, System Serial, MLB, and UUID from Clover into the OpenCore config.plist manually via ProperTree.

When I opened the OC config.plist in OpenCore Configurator, the info appeared correctly in the DataHub tab of PlatformInfo (see attached screen grab). But the SMBIOS tab was empty.

I entered the info in the SMBIOS tab as shown in the screen grab, checked the box "Add this section in config.plist", saved, rebooted (resetting NVRAM in the process). macOS System Information still shows the strange UUID.

I opened config.plist in ProperTree and did a search for the mystery UUID. It wasn't there. The UUID I originally entered was there as expected.

What to do?

Attachments

• OCC-DataHub-tab.png
    OCC-DataHub-tab.png
    236 KB · Views: 21
  • OCC-SMBIOS-tab.png
    OCC-SMBIOS-tab.png
    214.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Motherboard
Gygabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i9 10900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello @CaseySJ and all of you in the Forum!? Any news on the infamous “Antelope affaire”?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi Casey,

Built a system following your guide 2 years ago that has long been stable and have upgraded to Big Sir running stable for the past 2 months. However I was gone on vacation this past week leaving my computer in sleep mode, and suddenly I'm having issues (worried they might be hardware related). Essentially, when I boot my Gigabyte, the splash screen no longer shows up. So I do a CMOS reset, and it shows up again,. However, when I go into the BIOS and reset all the settings to work for my Hackintosh and when I save and the computer boots up again, I get a black screen, and it is unable to boot. What does work, is I have Windows installed on one of my SSDs, and, when I boot after the CMOS reset ,it then goes into OpenCore, and I can boot into the Windows drive and everything functions fine in Windows (so skeptical it's really a hardware issue?). Any ideas? I've been trouble shooting for hours and can't figure out how to get OpenCore to load after I adjust the reset BIOS settings. (Note upon CMOS reset, my Hacktonish shows up as a drive just like my Windows one does.)

Thanks!
Andrew

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Yes.

I just noticed that in Apple Menu > "System Information" on the hack, Model Identifier and Serial Number (system) are correct, but the Hardware UUID is not. I don't know where it's getting that UUID.

Back story:

When switching from Clover to OpenCore last week, I copied Model ID, System Serial, MLB, and UUID from Clover into the OpenCore config.plist manually via ProperTree.

When I opened the OC config.plist in OpenCore Configurator, the info appeared correctly in the DataHub tab of PlatformInfo (see attached screen grab). But the SMBIOS tab was empty.

I entered the info in the SMBIOS tab as shown in the screen grab, checked the box "Add this section in config.plist", saved, rebooted (resetting NVRAM in the process). macOS System Information still shows the strange UUID.

I opened config.plist in ProperTree and did a search for the mystery UUID. It wasn't there. The UUID I originally entered was there as expected.

What to do?
How did UUID: get into the UUID? :) It must be removed.

Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 10.36.56 AM.png

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi Casey,

Built a system following your guide 2 years ago that has long been stable and have upgraded to Big Sir running stable for the past 2 months. However I was gone on vacation this past week leaving my computer in sleep mode, and suddenly I'm having issues (worried they might be hardware related). Essentially, when I boot my Gigabyte, the splash screen no longer shows up. So I do a CMOS reset, and it shows up again,. However, when I go into the BIOS and reset all the settings to work for my Hackintosh and when I save and the computer boots up again, I get a black screen, and it is unable to boot. What does work, is I have Windows installed on one of my SSDs, and, when I boot after the CMOS reset ,it then goes into OpenCore, and I can boot into the Windows drive and everything functions fine in Windows (so skeptical it's really a hardware issue?). Any ideas? I've been trouble shooting for hours and can't figure out how to get OpenCore to load after I adjust the reset BIOS settings. (Note upon CMOS reset, my Hacktonish shows up as a drive just like my Windows one does.)

Thanks!
Andrew
Hello @astutzman,

Some questions / comments:
  • Does OpenCore Picker appear consistently on every boot?
  • Are you running BIOS F9g or F9i?
  • In BIOS Setup --> Boot, is CFG-LOCK disabled?
  • And of course the big question: Do you have a macOS bootable backup?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello @astutzman,

Some questions / comments:
  • Does OpenCore Picker appear consistently on every boot?
  • Are you running BIOS F9g or F9i?
  • In BIOS Setup --> Boot, is CFG-LOCK disabled?
  • And of course the big question: Do you have a macOS bootable backup?
1. Yes, but only after I reset the BIOS by taking out the CMOS backup battery. When I then go into the BIOS and adjust the BIOS settings from the default, such as disabling CFG-LOCK, etc. and saving, then upon reboot the splash screen no longer shows up. Thus, I can't move to the OpenCore Picker
2. I'm running F9i
3. No, upon CMOS reset. But, after I go into the BIOS, change this, and reboot, the splash screen longer shows up.
4. Yes, I have 2 additional bootable backups. But, I can't access them after changing the BIOs settings.

If I just leave the default settings post reset and boot into my Windows drive in OpenCore, everything works fine. So it seems like all my components are working. I can't tell if this is a MOBO issue or not? Thanks for the quick reply!

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare F9i
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
How did UUID: get into the UUID? :) It must be removed.

View attachment 513640

Oops. I don't recall doing that, but who else could have?

I removed it and rebooted.

The UUID in System Info has changed, but it's not the one I entered in OCC. (And the Energy Saver issue remains.)

EDIT:

I checked two backups of my working Clover EFI, and it looks like the UUID I'd copied was incorrect. (I'm not sure where it came from - maybe when I was testing other EFIs...?) This is yet another UUID I'll call the "new correct".

I copied the "new correct" UUID into OCC, rebooted, reset NVRAM and rebooted, and...now the incorrect UUID I had entered earlier today appears in System Info. It's as if there's a delay between when I entered it and when the hack sees it.

Rebooted with NVRAM reset twice; no change. Double-checked in OCC and in ProperTree that the "new correct" UUID is there, and it is.

What now?

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
1. Yes, but only after I reset the BIOS by taking out the CMOS backup battery. When I then go into the BIOS and adjust the BIOS settings from the default, such as disabling CFG-LOCK, etc. and saving, then upon reboot the splash screen no longer shows up. Thus, I can't move to the OpenCore Picker
2. I'm running F9i
3. No, upon CMOS reset. But, after I go into the BIOS, change this, and reboot, the splash screen longer shows up.
4. Yes, I have 2 additional bootable backups. But, I can't access them after changing the BIOs settings.

If I just leave the default settings post reset and boot into my Windows drive in OpenCore, everything works fine. So it seems like all my components are working. I can't tell if this is a MOBO issue or not? Thanks for the quick reply!
That is very strange. Please try setting all of the macOS recommended BIOS parameters except XMP Memory Profile. Keep this turned off, then save settings and see if the OpenCore Picker appears.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Oops. I don't recall doing that, but who else could have?

I removed it and rebooted.

The UUID in System Info has changed, but it's not the one I entered in OCC. (And the Energy Saver issue remains.)

EDIT:

I checked two backups of my working Clover EFI, and it looks like the UUID I'd copied was incorrect. (I'm not sure where it came from - maybe when I was testing other EFIs...?) This is yet another UUID I'll call the "new correct".

I copied the "new correct" UUID into OCC, rebooted, reset NVRAM and rebooted, and...now the incorrect UUID I had entered earlier today appears in System Info. It's as if there's a delay between when I entered it and when the hack sees it.

Rebooted with NVRAM reset twice; no change. Double-checked in OCC and in ProperTree that the "new correct" UUID is there, and it is.

What now?
In PlatformInfo --> SMBIOS, please uncheck this:

Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 12.34.17 PM.png

In other words, let's only enter our platform information into DataHub. The SMBIOS section can be disabled.