Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390-F8i
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
UHD 630 + RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Keeping the same serial number can help with software registration, possibly TM backups (or other backup software may use it), apple id logins for facetime/messages/icloud, so I would take the couple of seconds to copy/paste the values to the OC install.

It's probably faster to do a fresh install and copy over the home folder if you don't have a bunch of 3rd party software installed. The more software installed, the more it switches over to upgrading the existing install, as you don't have to track down serial numbers/install packages/etc...

When I was doing this, however, I did find it was easy to mess up upgrading and switching from Clover to OC, as IIRC, Clover copies some/all Extensions in the real extensions folders on disk, and those also have to be removed, as OC loads those extensions from the EFI folder without copying to the real extensions folders.

While I was building/testing my computer, I got it initially going on Mojave with Clover, but botched the job somehow switching to OC & upgrading that install to Catalina. Eventually, I just wiped it, and did a clean install of Catalina w OC, and that worked fine. And then later, once I was confident the computer was working fine, I copied over the Mojave install from my MacBookPro to the disk with OC, it booted fine, then upgraded it to Catalina (also fine), and finally to Big Sur 11.2, then 11.2.2,then 11.2.3), and it's been fine. I've got all kinds of software installed, and it's been working well for me.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 590
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
SSP1 and SSP2 are present in Hackintool, so those two USB-C ports are present. However, IOReg shows that they're not working. USB-C devices may only work if they're connected before booting macOS.

However, first test a Thunderbolt device. It should appear under either DSB1 or DSB4 in IOReg. Please try connecting that device (a) before booting macOS and (b) hot plugging it after logging into macOS.

We can see that Thunderbolt Bus is activated and the Thunderbolt device tree (IOReg) looks okay except for the missing DSB2.RHUB (USB-C controller).
Hi

No thunderbolt connects at DSB1 or DSB4 in IOREG
Before when TB was working a couple days ago i saw the JHL7540 controller in Hackintool
TB device tested
-Uad Apollo Twin
-Sabrent Thunderbolt enclosure witn nvme

USB-c connects fine in the Thunderbolt port.even hotswap
I use a Sandisk extremev2 for that

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-23 at 22.53.54.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-23 at 22.53.54.png
    208.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot 2021-03-23 at 22.32.03.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-23 at 22.32.03.png
    256.1 KB · Views: 30
Motherboard
MSI MEG Z590 ACE
CPU
i9-10900
Graphics
RX 570
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi. Well, I hate to admit it but, I've Killed the Alpine Ridge add in card :cry:. So now we (A friend of mine and me) are going to do a Full upgrade project. We are going to replace MB, and CPU. It was hard, but we found a Z390 designare to work with, so when it arrives, we will start over again with this but, since the Z390 designare has built in thunderbolt and CaseySJ proved it to be working, I feel more relaxed than doing experiments with the B150M-D3H-CF and the Alpine Ridge Add In card.
Thank you so much @CaseySJ (and others) for the help. We'll see again in a month.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi

No thunderbolt connects at DSB1 or DSB4 in IOREG
Before when TB was working a couple days ago i saw the JHL7540 controller in Hackintool
TB device tested
-Uad Apollo Twin
-Sabrent Thunderbolt enclosure witn nvme

USB-c connects fine in the Thunderbolt port.even hotswap
I use a Sandisk extremev2 for that
I looked at the original Thunderbolt firmware for the MSI Z490i UNIFY and it seems it uses the LP version of the Titan Ridge controller, device 0x15E7. This reminded me of @dgsga's excellent effort described here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/post-2186035

So let's try the following:
  • Attached ZIP contains a new Thunderbolt firmware file called ITX-TB3-NVM50-E64Fr-CSJ-dgsga.bin
  • Please flash that to the controller.
  • Then replace TTRidge.aml with the new version also included in the attached ZIP.

Attachments

• MSI Z490i Unify.zip
    278.2 KB · Views: 28

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi. Well, I hate to admit it but, I've Killed the Alpine Ridge add in card :cry:. So now we (A friend of mine and me) are going to do a Full upgrade project. We are going to replace MB, and CPU.
Sorry to hear that... :(

It was hard, but we found a Z390 designare to work with, so when it arrives, we will start over again with this but, since the Z390 designare has built in thunderbolt and CaseySJ proved it to be working, I feel more relaxed than doing experiments with the B150M-D3H-CF and the Alpine Ridge Add In card.
But glad to hear this! :)

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thanks a lot for your detailed help! (your commitment here is incredible!)

But regarding the effort, wouldn't it be nearly the same amount of work to do a complete fresh install? After fresh install, i would have to manually copy&paste all the Homefolder-Content to the new one, but that would be basically it, or am I wrong?
Or what is the advantage of keeping the serial number?
I was thinking to update to Catalina anyway...
Sure, a fresh install would be okay too. The same serial numbers should be used so that your third party software licenses can be reapplied when those applications are reinstalled. If you use a different serial number, your existing software licenses will think you're using a different machine and will therefore check to see if you're entitled to using the same license on another machine. In many cases you will see a "License Reused" error or "License Used Too Many Times."

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 590
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I looked at the original Thunderbolt firmware for the MSI Z490i UNIFY and it seems it uses the LP version of the Titan Ridge controller, device 0x15E7. This reminded me of @dgsga's excellent effort described here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/post-2186035

So let's try the following:
  • Attached ZIP contains a new Thunderbolt firmware file called ITX-TB3-NVM50-E64Fr-CSJ-dgsga.bin
  • Please flash that to the controller.
  • Then replace TTRidge.aml with the new version also included in the attached ZIP.
Hi @CaseySJ

I flashed the firmware and Thunderbolt still doesn't mount.
USB-C drive mounts/hotswap but speed is not correct when connected to TB Port.
When I connect to front USB-C Header, it's OK.

Some screenshots

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-24 at 12.54.12.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-24 at 12.54.12.png
    442.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot 2021-03-24 at 12.53.27.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-24 at 12.53.27.png
    214.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot 2021-03-24 at 12.52.04.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-24 at 12.52.04.png
    236.2 KB · Views: 45

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@CaseySJ

My Z590i Vision D arrives tomorrow.
Are you interested to help me out with the SSDT's?
Or anything else you need from the board like TB firmware

Cheers
Sure, that sounds like fun... :)

But let's discuss that in this thread (because @ori69 purchased the same board):

Hi @CaseySJ

I flashed the firmware and Thunderbolt still doesn't mount.
USB-C drive mounts/hotswap but speed is not correct when connected to TB Port.
When I connect to front USB-C Header, it's OK.

Some screenshots
Well, we tried! Probably best to flash the original firmware back and focus on the new Z590i Vision D instead...

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare F9i
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
This is regarding CaseySJ's OpenCore 0.6.6 EFI for Designare Z390, posted here (thank you, Casey!).

Today I had mixed success booting my Mojave i9 Hackintosh with it. I've been using a Clover for almost two years with a Vanilla installation.

In short: the boot process hangs for 15 minutes and then rapidly finishes. The HDMI output on the GPU shuts off during the boot and remains off.

Details:

When booting, the Apple logo and progress bar appear. When the progress bar is 75-80 percent full, my LCD monitor, connected to the Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 via HDMI, goes black and flashes a “no signal” warning, its power LED turning from blue to yellow (yellow=sleep).

1-3 minutes after the screen goes black, I can access the Hackintosh (which is connected to my LAN via Ethernet) from my MacBook Pro via smb and access all the internal drives without issue.

I can connect via screen sharing and see the black screen.

15 minutes after the screen first goes black, the Apple logo and progress bar re-appear via Screen Sharing - but not on the monitor. The progress bar quickly fills the remaining 20-25 percent, and the Desktop appears as normal. Boot is complete, and the machine seems to operate normally.

This same issue occurred when booting from Clover (it’s the main reason I’m here), except that there the resumption of the Apple logo and progress bar is visible on the monitor. In other words, the GPU resumes sending an HDMI signal. When booting from OpenCore, the screen stays black.

I don't know exactly when this issue started, but I think it was after one of the Mojave security updates. (I made a mistake and made cloned backups before discovering the issue. Aargh.)

The GPU is Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 580 8G, and the monitor is connected via HDMI. I'm waiting for a display port cable to arrive, to see if that might work after the boot completes.

The only modifications to CaseySJ's config.plist I made are:

- Removed the USBInectAll kexts and added USBPorts.kext (which I mapped previously). Via screen sharing, I checked a few of the ports and they seem fine.

- Added my existing SMBIOS

I've done hours of googling and troubleshooting to no avail.

I did flash the NVRAM at the OpenCore picker before booting.

BIOS is as described in Casey's post for F8 except I left Thunderbolt USB support disabled. Also, I disabled CFG Lock.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if you need more info.

Z390 Designare firmware is 9j
i9-9900K
Mojave 10.14.6, latest security update
iMac 18,3 SMBIOS
Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 580 8G - BIOS switch is set to "Performance" mode
32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666MHz RAM

P.S. Just to be safe, I checked Library/Extensions as per the Clover to O.C. transition guide. I didn't expect any of the unwanted kexts to be there since I've only run a Vanilla Hackintosh, and indeed there were none.

Last edited: