CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 590
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've modified the Thunderbolt SSDT based on the real DROM. As mentioned earlier, this is not likely to make a difference, but we might as well try for the sake of completeness.

If this does not help, it may be justified to flash the firmware. You can still use this SSDT with the flashed firmware. The modified firmware was created for @S1lla, but I did not receive confirmation that it works. So if you decide to flash it (again, please be mindful of the risks involved) you'll be our beta tester. The modified firmware is attached here for convenience.
Hi @CaseySJ

I Flashed the firmware and all went good. (I made a backup of the original FW)
However, Thunderbolt is completely gone in macOS and in Linux.

Do I have to put the original FW back?

Attached the confirmation of the flash.

Cheers!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-20 at 22.35.15.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-20 at 22.35.15.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 39

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi @CaseySJ

I Flashed the firmware and all went good. (I made a backup of the original FW)
However, Thunderbolt is completely gone in macOS and in Linux.

Do I have to put the original FW back?

Attached the confirmation of the flash.

Cheers!
Please compress and post the original firmware. I would like to modify it from scratch. There appear to be some errors in the previous modified file.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Besides, do you know if Im putting the jumpers right? (attached an image found on internet of a Titan ridge card that I've used to guide myself on my alpine ridge)
The jumper looks correct.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 590
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Please compress and post the original firmware. I would like to modify it from scratch. There appear to be some errors in the previous modified file.

Here you go.

Just in case, I put 2 backups in the folder!

Good Luck!

Thanks.

Attachments

• Original FW msi_z490i Unify.zip
    884.9 KB · Views: 23

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Here you go.

Just in case, I put 2 backups in the folder!

Good Luck!

Thanks.
The attached ZIP contains two versions. Please try MOD1 first. If there are problems, switch to MOD2.

Attachments

• MSI-Z490i-UNIFY.zip
    886.1 KB · Views: 23
Motherboard
MSI MEG Z590 ACE
CPU
i9-10900
Graphics
RX 570
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I want to cry... I've flashed again V3 (the first firmware I've flashed), but unter "Thunderbolt/USB4" nothing appears so... I'm a lot confused :/

Motherboard
Laptop make & model # > See Rules!
CPU
i7-4720HQ
Graphics
HD 4600
I'm back, but with sad news.
I' ve flashed V1 and tested, but the "Thunderbolt/USB4" field in System report shows me "No drivers loaded", I've tried with V2 and the same.
In the BIOS, with the original firmware and V1 appears "Thunderbolt" settings under "Peripheals", useng v2 and v3, in "Peripheals" the "Thunderbolt" field is no longer visible.

I will go back to V3.
Besides, do you know if Im putting the jumpers right? (Attached an image found on internet of a Titan ridge card that I've used to guide myself on my alpine ridge.)
Jumpers are right. "Thunderbolt/USB4" field in the System report makes no sense. You should test it with a Thunderbolt device.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I want to cry... I've flashed again V3 (the first firmware I've flashed), but unter "Thunderbolt/USB4" nothing appears so... I'm a lot confused :/
Thunderbolt add-in-cards tend to work best on motherboards that have either (a) a Thunderbolt header (labeled THB_C) or (b) an on-board Thunderbolt controller.

Reason: The firmware (BIOS) of a motherboard with either (a) or (b) contains support for Thunderbolt, including hot plug events, USB-C protocol, controller power gate functions, etc. We can even use an SSDT alone to activate Thunderbolt Bus for an Alpine Ridge controller.

However, the usual disclaimer applies:

Thunderbolt behavior, particularly with flashed controllers, exhibits idiosyncrasies that are unique to each board and each add-in-card and each version of motherboard BIOS (firmware).

The problems get worse the further back in time we go. Newer boards, particularly those with Thunderbolt headers or built-in controllers, perform the best (but still not perfect).

The Designare Z390 and Z490 Vision D with flashed on-board controllers have the fewest idiosyncrasies.

Have you considered upgrading just the motherboard to one that still supports your CPU, but contains a THB_C header?

Motherboard
Gigabyte X299X-Designare-10G
CPU
i9-10980XE
Graphics
Radeon Pro WX 7100
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So after hours of testing with my build, the Z77X-UD5H, we can conclude that HotPlug never will work.
Not on PCIEX16 [Slot-2] , PCIEX8 [Slot 5] or PCIEX4 [Slot-7] slot.
It's just how the Motherboards ACPI is written that doesn't allow it.

So like @CaseySJ is telling above, a motherboard with THB_C or On-board TB will be better

So if you don't mind to 'cold boot' replug the devices between 'cold boot' and then the 'warm boot' you can have working Thunderbolt but no HotPlug