[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5-TH
CPU
i7 6700K
Graphics
GTX 780
Does it work without any SSDT?
  • Please try cold boot because that performs a full reset on the Thunderbolt controller.
  • In BIOS, check whether GPIO3 Force Power is still enabled.
  • In BIOS, check whether Thunderbolt Security is set to No Security.
It used to work without an SSDT, but now it isn't working with or without. The only way it seems to work right now is with the tbtonpch ssdt + acpi tweaks.
Have tried cold boot several times, and yeah both bios settings are as you say. Weird!

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
File attached. Thanks for your help!
Please also post a new IORegistryExplorer file as detailed below. There's no hint of the GC-Titan Ridge in the previous IOReg file, hence a new one is needed.
  • Please check that GC-Titan Ridge card is installed.
  • Disconnect the THB_C Thunderbolt header cable if it is connected.
  • Hold the card vertically with PCI pins facing the floor and connect the Top and Middle pins of the 5-pin J1 header with a F/F jumper wire. This will force the card to turn on.
  • Disable any existing Thunderbolt SSDT.
  • Boot the system and log into macOS.
  • Run IORegistryExplorer --> File --> Save As... and post the saved file.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
It used to work without an SSDT, but now it isn't working with or without. The only way it seems to work right now is with the tbtonpch ssdt + acpi tweaks.
Have tried cold boot several times, and yeah both bios settings are as you say. Weird!
Couple of points:
  1. When the original firmware was flashed back, I assume you performed three Reads and compared their checksums to make sure the three checksums were identical?
  2. When you say "it isn't working", does that mean hot plug is not working or even pre-connected devices don't work?
  3. If pre-connected devices don't work, do you remember if they worked previously without any SSDT applied?

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5-TH
CPU
i7 6700K
Graphics
GTX 780
Couple of points:
  1. When the original firmware was flashed back, I assume you performed three Reads and compared their checksums to make sure the three checksums were identical?
  2. When you say "it isn't working", does that mean hot plug is not working or even pre-connected devices don't work?
  3. If pre-connected devices don't work, do you remember if they worked previously without any SSDT applied?
1. Yes - pretty confident that went okay, especially cause it works with the tbtOnPch SSDT.
2. Even pre-connected devices. It has always been pretty funny, hence why I was exploring the options here. Usually, if I disconnect AC from the comp, it takes sometimes MANY cold boots and reboots to get Thunderbolt working again (on pre-connected devices). Once it is working, it connects consistently on every reboot as long as AC power is not lost. It could be that I just need to keep cold booting and rebooting for a while longer, but it has never been quite this bad.
3. Yes, they worked without an SSDT and also with the SSDT-TB3 from another thread on this forum.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900KS
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
  5. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. iBook
  3. Power Mac
  4. PowerBook
  5. Quadra
  6. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Here's a something interesting that I just can't figure out:

I'm using an iMP 1,1 config with this build.
If I turn on the iGPU in the BIOS but keep it "off" in the config file, I still get a boost (over not activating the iGPU) when running a Geekbench test. See attached config.

Attachments

• config.plist
    23.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 12.42.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 12.42.00 PM.png
    48.9 KB · Views: 19
Motherboard
Z390 Gigabyte Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
I am running a iMac19,1 config with this build :)

I've got a question regarding changing the SSD-Configuration after installing (running Mojave).
Currently I got one 1TB nvm2 Samsung 970 Pro running, split into to partitions (one OS, one HomeFOLDER).
The SSD crashed recently (complete freeze, repaired in the recovery mode) and became unreliable.
So now I bought a XPG 256 GB (the one from the guide) and a 970 EVO 1TB and want to use the small one for OS and the BIG one for Home Folder.
I got a CARBON COPY CLONER-copy from my OS-Partition (before the crash, so I think I could continue working twith it) and from my HOME-Parition.
I thought to clone the OS-Partition to the new SSD via CCC and a external nvm2-Case and do the same with the Home-Partition and then install both of them onto the gigabyte-mobo.
Do you think this will work? Or will there be trouble of the OS recognizing the Cloned Home-Folder-Drive?

any help appreciatet!

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900KS
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
  5. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. iBook
  3. Power Mac
  4. PowerBook
  5. Quadra
  6. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

I've got a question regarding changing the SSD-Configuration after installing (running Mojave).
Currently I got one 1TB nvm2 Samsung 970 Pro running, split into to partitions (one OS, one HomeFOLDER).
The SSD crashed recently (complete freeze, repaired in the recovery mode) and became unreliable.
So now I bought a XPG 256 GB (the one from the guide) and a 970 EVO 1TB and want to use the small one for OS and the BIG one for Home Folder.
I got a CARBON COPY CLONER-copy from my OS-Partition (before the crash, so I think I could continue working twith it) and from my HOME-Parition.
I thought to clone the OS-Partition to the new SSD via CCC and a external nvm2-Case and do the same with the Home-Partition and then install both of them onto the gigabyte-mobo.
Do you think this will work? Or will there be trouble of the OS recognizing the Cloned Home-Folder-Drive?

any help appreciatet!

I have a couple NVMe SSDs as well. Me: I'd use one SSD for the OS, etc., and setup the other as some sort of media SSD. I wouldn't combine or split SSDs. I made a RAID 1 with a BMD Multidock and 4 1TB 860 EVOs. I didn't care for it, so I changed everything back. YMMV.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390-F8i
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
UHD 630 + RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
I recently cloned the Catalina install from my MacBook Pro to my newly built computer, with a WD Blue 1Tb nvme drive, and it works no problem. It's been working fine for me for a couple weeks now, and I also upgraded it to Big Sur (first 11.2, then 11.2.2, then 11.2.3). The only oddity I've noticed is that for the .2 and .3 updates, it took a number of reboots (3-4), and in the past on "real" mMacs, it's typically just 1 or 2, and it asked me to login with my Apple ID the final time, prior to logging into the Mac.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Here's a something interesting that I just can't figure out:

I'm using an iMP 1,1 config with this build.
If I turn on the iGPU in the BIOS but keep it "off" in the config file, I still get a boost (over not activating the iGPU) when running a Geekbench test. See attached config.
Although WhateverGreen properties are not specified in your config.plist, it is possible that macOS is activating the iGPU automatically. If you post the IOReg file, we can take a closer look. Specifically, we're looking for IGPU@2 with AppleIntelFramebuffer as a child node. Then we want to see what Platform ID is being used, which we can see from front page of Hackintool.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

any help appreciatet!
Good question and glad you asked, because this can be tricky! Here is my suggestion:
  • Install Mojave from scratch on the XPG 256GB SSD.
    • Format the XPG drive in Disk Utility with:
      • Name: Anything
      • Format: APFS
      • Scheme: GUID Partition Map
    • Mount EFI partitions of old boot disk and new XPG SSD.
    • Copy EFI folder from old boot disk to new XPG SSD (to EFI partition).
    • This ensures that same serial numbers are used.
  • When the Mojave welcome screen appears, create your user account.
    • Use the same account name as before.
    • The account will be created on the XPG SSD (which is okay for now).
  • Format the new 970 EVO 1TB disk in Disk Utility as APFS.
    • This is your new home/user disk.
  • Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the old Home Disk/Partition to the new 970 EVO 1TB disk.
  • Now open System Preferences --> Users & Groups --> Advanced, and change the location of home folder to the 970 EVO 1TB disk.
  • Next, reinstall all of your Applications to the XPG 256GB SSD.
    • You can mount the old OS Disk/Partition and use Finder to copy most third-party apps from the old Applications folder to the new Applications folder.
    • Some applications cannot be simply dragged-and-dropped, but need to be installed through their Installer.
    • When these applications are launched, they should find existing license files. If not, it will be necessary to re-enter the license information.
As you can see, this procedure is a bit more involved. We cannot simply clone everything back. This is because you are changing the disk topology. In other words:
  • You are going from a single 1TB NVMe SSD with 2 APFS partitions --> to --> one 256GB SSD and one 1TB SSD, both with 1 APFS partition.
  • This is why the recovery process is a bit more involved.