Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
About 30 minutes for 6gb circa? It seems a bit slow for me, but it's my first approach with TB. Maybe Is the cable, or some sort of incompatibility between Mac/hack and Windows?
Here are the results from my 1TB EVO 970 NVMe in a OWC Thunderbolt 3 Envoy Express. Roughly same speeds as you're seeing.
DiskSpeedTest.png

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thanks for confirming that there is no problem with my Thunderbolt transfer speed .. have you tried moving files between two Thunderbolt computers?
Yes, I've moved large VM data/files from my Hackintosh to my MacBook Pro via Thunderbolt target disc mode. Transfer speed is actually a little slower, but its the same with transferring data from my Mac Mini to my MacBook Pro via TB3. Not sure why, but it is what it is.

Motherboard
MSI H270 GAMING M3
CPU
i5-7600
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Yes, I've moved large VM data/files from my Hackintosh to my MacBook Pro via Thunderbolt target disc mode. Transfer speed is actually a little slower, but its the same with transferring data from my Mac Mini to my MacBook Pro via TB3. Not sure why, but it is what it is.
Ok man, thank you! Btw great mod. :clap: If i had a normal case i would like to do but i have a rack case :lol:

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Ok man, thank you! Btw great mod. :clap: If i had a normal case i would like to do but i have a rack case :lol:
No problem and thanks for the compliment.

By the way, here are the speed test results for my EVO 970 NVMe running on the motherboard as my OS volume:
DiskSpeedTest.png

Again, similar results.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 5700
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I wrote a post the other day on my avb sound card not showing up in Big Sur. I just realize, there is no Thunderbolt port being loaded on Big Sur in my Ethernet connection. But in Catalina there is. I am on a Z390 running OC 0.6.6 with your config plist. Everything seems fine. If I can get my TB port to show, I'm 100 percent sure my sound will work.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    224.3 KB · Views: 27
  • bs no eth.png
    bs no eth.png
    261.4 KB · Views: 25

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm not sure if anyone is interested, or if this is even the right place, but I've spent the past 26 years of my career working with some form or another of virtualization tech for desktops, servers, and NAS. I'm very well versed on VMware Workstation, Fusion, ESX, and vCenter; Parallels Desktop; VirtualBox, and Synology NAS VMM. I also have an extensive library (12TB's) of Mac, Windows, and Linux VM's. So, I'm happy to answer your Mac virtualization questions here if you've got them. Thanks.
I have an old QNAP with dual gigabit ports that needs to be replaced. I've been looking for a new model that supports both Thunderbolt and 10 GbE (over Cat 6a RJ45). Although QNAP offers such models, I prefer to wait for a Thunderbolt 4/USB4 update, so that gives me at least a handful of months. Meanwhile, I see a number of virtualization capabilities advertised on QNAP's website, which leads me to the question:
  • How would we use virtualization capabilities of a NAS in a home office setting? Is there a good use case for this?
One of the reasons for flashing Thunderbolt firmware is to enable Thunderbolt Networking, which is necessary for connecting Thunderbolt NAS devices. My suspicion is that Ethernet-over-Thunderbolt operates at 1 GbE speeds even though Thunderbolt itself operates at 40 Gbps. Can anyone confirm?

If so, a 10 GbE Ethernet port would be considerably faster and hence it may not make sense to look for a NAS with Thunderbolt...

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I wrote a post the other day on my avb sound card not showing up in Big Sur. I just realize, there is no Thunderbolt port being loaded on Big Sur in my Ethernet connection. But in Catalina there is. I am on a Z390 running OC 0.6.6 with your config plist. Everything seems fine. If I can get my TB port to show, I'm 100 percent sure my sound will work.
Please post your IOReg file as follows:
  • IORegistryExplorer --> File --> Save As...

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have an old QNAP with dual gigabit ports that needs to be replaced. I've been looking for a new model that supports both Thunderbolt and 10 GbE (over Cat 6a RJ45). Although QNAP offers such models, I prefer to wait for a Thunderbolt 4/USB4 update, so that gives me at least a handful of months. Meanwhile, I see a number of virtualization capabilities advertised on QNAP's website, which leads me to the question:
  • How would we use virtualization capabilities of a NAS in a home office setting? Is there a good use case for this?
One of the reasons for flashing Thunderbolt firmware is to enable Thunderbolt Networking, which is necessary for connecting Thunderbolt NAS devices. My suspicion is that Ethernet-over-Thunderbolt operates at 1 GbE speeds even though Thunderbolt itself operates at 40 Gbps. Can anyone confirm?

If so, a 10 GbE Ethernet port would be considerably faster and hence it may not make sense to look for a NAS with Thunderbolt support...
Honestly, no, there really isn't much of a use case for NAS virtualization at home. Reason being is that folks generally only needs to virtualize 1 or 2 OS's which can be done better on the desktop. One of the biggest advantages of NAS virtualization was running apps in a specific OS 24/7, but these days it's much easier to throw those apps in a docker container on your NAS instead. Also, since most home NAS devices are severely underpowered they are not well suited to running VM's.

That said, I have multiple VM's on my Synology DS918+, but they are for emergency backup only. If one of my desktop demo VMs has issues then I can quickly spin it up on my NAS, but performance is not great. So for a work from home scenario it sort-of makes sense, but even then it's still a bit of a stretch.

Last edited: