Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Please try this:
  • Change Count from 0 to 1 as shown.
  • Double check that SATA Hot Plug is enabled in BIOS for the correct SATA ports.
  • Then please ensure that you are booting from the correct EFI partition (if you have more than one disk with OpenCore on it).
The Count I had already changed, but what fixed it for me was the BIOS setting. I didn't notice that had changed for some reason. Thank you!

I am experiencing hiccups on my system drive lately. Write speed dropped to 450MB/sec, read speed at approx. 2100MB/sec. The only clue I have: When I run disk utility, it says that there's a problem with the partition table and the size of the EFI partition. Is that normal? The drive is: ADATA SX8200PNP

What is your storage drive?
Have you tried to install Big Sur to another drive?

Yes, it's the Samsung 970 Evo. It previously had Mojave, but I wanted a fresh install. The Installer Log provides nothing helpful, just that thread 0 has crashed or something.

I'm now contemplating on making a Mojave usb then upgrading, but that seems like a pain in the ass.

EDIT:

@CaseySJ

This is pretty big actually. I figured it out. Basically, you can't install with any USBInjectAll-076.kext or USBInjectAll-071.kext preset. Although it seems you can upgrade just fine. I removed them and used the blue USB 3.0 ports on the back, and that seemed to let the installer proceed. Lots of the ports don't work, but I don't give a crap as long as I can install the damn thing.

I'm guessing there's something fundamentally wrong with the USB mapping. I'm attaching the EFI (minus serials) that finally let me select the disk and continue the installation.

I hope somebody smarter than me can figure out why this happened. It seems people have been upgrading a lot and not doing fresh installs so errors like this fall through the cracks.

EDIT 2:

It was the Commander Pro. You MUST disable the USB port it's on otherwise the installation things it's on reserved power. This was a waste of like 20 hours hahaha

Attachments

• OC-066.zip
    5.1 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:
USBInjectAll-071.kext is for Mojave
USBInjectAll-076.kext for Catalina and +

That is very puzzling. With the original firmware installed and no Thunderbolt SSDT, please run Hackintool and click the Export button as shown:
View attachment 508589

Yes only the blue chip.

The green chip contains Thunderbolt Power Delivery (PD) firmware. Remember that Thunderbolt connectors also support up to 100W of power delivery to connected components. This is managed by a Texas Instruments power delivery chip.

Ok, but is there any voltage at pin3 of the card without a patched FW? If not, the card would not be activated, because of missing high on pin1.

Attached, first IORegDump without my DSDT, just SSDT-DTGP. Second one with original TB-FW/without FW-SSDT and Device List.

Attachments

• WithoutDSDT.ioreg
    5.3 MB · Views: 45
  • WithOriginalTbFW.ioreg
    8 MB · Views: 31
  • pcidevices.txt
    12.7 KB · Views: 34
Yes, it's the Samsung 970 Evo. It previously had Mojave, but I wanted a fresh install. The Installer Log provides nothing helpful, just that thread 0 has crashed or something.

I'm now contemplating on making a Mojave usb then upgrading, but that seems like a pain in the ass.

EDIT:

@CaseySJ

This is pretty big actually. I figured it out. Basically, you can't install with any USBInjectAll-076.kext or USBInjectAll-071.kext preset. Although it seems you can upgrade just fine. I removed them and used the blue USB 3.0 ports on the back, and that seemed to let the installer proceed. Lots of the ports don't work, but I don't give a crap as long as I can install the damn thing.

I'm guessing there's something fundamentally wrong with the USB mapping. I'm attaching the EFI (minus serials) that finally let me select the disk and continue the installation.

I hope somebody smarter than me can figure out why this happened. It seems people have been upgrading a lot and not doing fresh installs so errors like this fall through the cracks.

EDIT 2:

It was the Commander Pro. You MUST disable the USB port it's on otherwise the installation things it's on reserved power. This was a waste of like 20 hours hahaha
Good detective work! Please confirm that the true root cause was the Corsair Commander Pro and not the USB mapping. Also note the note at the top of Post 1...

Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 9.29.37 AM.png

I am experiencing hiccups on my system drive lately. Write speed dropped to 450MB/sec, read speed at approx. 2100MB/sec. The only clue I have: When I run disk utility, it says that there's a problem with the partition table and the size of the EFI partition. Is that normal? The drive is: ADATA SX8200PNP
I reformatted the disk and cloned my backup from CCC. The error is gone but write speed remain low. COuld this be in any way related to Big Sur 11.2.1? Is anybody else experiencing low write speeds?

Ok, but is there any voltage at pin3 of the card without a patched FW? If not, the card would not be activated, because of missing high on pin1.

Attached, first IORegDump without my DSDT, just SSDT-DTGP. Second one with original TB-FW/without FW-SSDT and Device List.
Some observations:
  • With the original DSDT, the Thunderbolt controller is not being powered on.
  • The modified DSDT, however, appears to have a "force power" function for enabling the controller.
  • The purpose of bridging the top and middle pins on GC-Titan Ridge is to "force power" so it is puzzling that the controller does not power on with original DSDT.
    • When holding the GC-Titan Ridge card vertically with the PCI pins facing the floor, we need to bridge the top and middle pins of the vertical 5-pin J1 header.
    • Is this what you have already done?

I reformatted the disk and cloned my backup from CCC. The error is gone but write speed remain low. COuld this be in any way related to Big Sur 11.2.1? Is anybody else experiencing low write speeds?
How much free space is left on the ADATA SX8200 Pro?

One difference between the two is the presence of an SSDT in Clover to disable GPU in Slot 2. If there's an Nvidia GPU in that slot, please do the following:
  • Download the attached config.plist and copy serial number back into PlatformInfo --> DataHub.
  • Then copy config.plist to EFI/OC folder in EFI partition.
  • Download attached SSDT-Designare-Z390-Disable-Slot-2-GPU.aml and copy to EFI/OC/ACPI folder.
  • Reboot and see if OpenCore can boot macOS.
Hi @CaseySJ Unfortunately, still having the same issue. macOS is not loading, stuck on logo at beginning of the progress bar. I ran two different tests:

1. Used OC 0.6.6 with the recommendation above, no luck. See screenshot of log (IMG_1636).
2. Used the test OC 0.6.5 version, no luck. See screenshot of log (IMG_1637).

One note, I did have two GPU installed when I did my original Clover install. I have since removed the Nvidia GPU has you found out. I totally forgot that I did that.

Attachments

• IMG_1636.jpg
    IMG_1636.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1637.jpg
    IMG_1637.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 44
Back