Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Confirmed. Booted up right now.
I'd like to compare the Clover and OpenCore folders to see if there's a clue to be found. If you can make a copy of both folders, remove serial numbers from each config.plist, compress and post the zip, I'll take a closer look.

@CaseySJ

I have tried some UFEI FW´s for my Z620, without success.
But I don't think that this problem is related to some similar of the 9j FW.
HP has not updated the FW for modern AMG Graphics e.g. resizable BAR.
And there are even no Intel hot fixes of 2020.

It look like, the USB-C Ports cannot be set in the right state because of something is missing or have to patch via DSDT/SSDT. But I have no idea what. See picture.

By the way: If I use the original Firewire FW, the card will not recognized by MacOS.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 50
@CaseySJ

I have tried some UFEI FW´s for my Z620, without success.
But I don't think that this problem is related to some similar of the 9j FW.
HP has not updated the FW for modern AMG Graphics e.g. resizable BAR.
And there are even no Intel hot fixes of 2020.

It look like, the USB-C Ports cannot be set in the right state because of something is missing or have to patch via DSDT/SSDT. But I have no idea what. See picture.
We have had this problem with NVM50 on Z490 Vision D since the beginning. No solution has been found. Have you tried this one?
  • DESIGNARE-Z390-NVM33-Elias64Fr.bin
By the way: If I use the original Firewire FW, the card will not recognized by MacOS.
With original firmware, please disable the Thunderbolt SSDT, boot macOS and run IORegistryExplorer --> File --> Save As... and post the IOReg file.

MacOS will scan the PCI bus and will discover all devices even without SSDT. By looking at this new IOReg file we can see exactly what macOS has detected.

We have had this problem with NVM50 on Z490 Vision D since the beginning. No solution has been found. Have you tried this one?
  • DESIGNARE-Z390-NVM33-Elias64Fr.bin

With original firmware, please disable the Thunderbolt SSDT, boot macOS and run IORegistryExplorer --> File --> Save As... and post the IOReg file.

MacOS will scan the PCI bus and will discover all devices even without SSDT. By looking at this new IOReg file we can see exactly what macOS has detected.
Yes, I have tried the DESIGNARE-Z390-NVM33-Elias64Fr.bin, the same error.

With the original FW, there is nothing. Not in IOReg, not in the PCI list of Hackintool. The Card is not present, I have tried it twice with reflash. With DSDT and without, with Jumper between 1-3 and 1-4 and without.
Like the USB-C Controller if I reboot, just gone.

Edit: Wait, I have flash only the blue Chip, is this correct?
Because on my cMP5.1 this Card is working but I have to flash both chips.
I don't know, what FW is on the green one, maybe NVM50.

Last edited:
OkIt's super strange I ran into once during Catalina Betas. I'm going to try a fresh install tonight to see if that does it, maybe some old kext conflicts or something. Just glad to know it's just me so it can be fixed.
Okay Ok so interestingly enough. Safe boot seems to cure the freezing?

anyone experionce a system restart due to a "Sleep Wake Failure"? Must have happen sometime between Sunday and today when I left my pc on. the issue is new since updating to OC0.6.5 and Big Sur.

Thanks

I'd like to compare the Clover and OpenCore folders to see if there's a clue to be found. If you can make a copy of both folders, remove serial numbers from each config.plist, compress and post the zip, I'll take a closer look.
Attached. Labeled each folder w/ Clover and 066(OC).

Attachments

• EFI Folders.zip
    8.2 MB · Views: 37
Attached. Labeled each folder w/ Clover and 066(OC).
One difference between the two is the presence of an SSDT in Clover to disable GPU in Slot 2. If there's an Nvidia GPU in that slot, please do the following:
  • Download the attached config.plist and copy serial number back into PlatformInfo --> DataHub.
  • Then copy config.plist to EFI/OC folder in EFI partition.
  • Download attached SSDT-Designare-Z390-Disable-Slot-2-GPU.aml and copy to EFI/OC/ACPI folder.
  • Reboot and see if OpenCore can boot macOS.

Attachments

• config.plist
    23.6 KB · Views: 38
  • SSDT-Designare-Z390-Disable-Slot-2-GPU.aml
    171 bytes · Views: 32
Yes, I have tried the DESIGNARE-Z390-NVM33-Elias64Fr.bin, the same error.

With the original FW, there is nothing. Not in IOReg, not in the PCI list of Hackintool. The Card is not present, I have tried it twice with reflash. With DSDT and without, with Jumper between 1-3 and 1-4 and without.
Like the USB-C Controller if I reboot, just gone.
That is very puzzling. With the original firmware installed and no Thunderbolt SSDT, please run Hackintool and click the Export button as shown:
Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 3.28.40 PM.png

Edit: Wait, I have flash only the blue Chip, is this correct?
Yes only the blue chip.

Because on my cMP5.1 this Card is working but I have to flash both chips.
I don't know, what FW is on the green one, maybe NVM50.
The green chip contains Thunderbolt Power Delivery (PD) firmware. Remember that Thunderbolt connectors also support up to 100W of power delivery to connected components. This is managed by a Texas Instruments power delivery chip.

Back