Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Made two more attempts to upgrade to Big Sur but I still haven't succeeded. I'm in the process of restoring Catalina to my main drive to give it one more attempt.

Attempt 1:
Restored to Catalina, did another in-place update attempt without removing any Kext just to double check.

Result: Kernel Panic

Attempt 2:
Restored again to Catalina.
Uninstalled the following:
- Little Snitch 4 since Little Snitch 5 is not compatible with Catalina.
- Apogee (No longer using anyway)
- Updated Sonarworks to the latest build which is Big Sur compatible
- Removed AntelopeUnifiedDriver.kext, Motu MIDI Driver.kext, and SoundGrid.kext

Result: Kernel panic but I noticed that before it displayed the kernel panic, it hung on "Generation from SMC Report as 2" for a couple minutes.

Going to try attempt #3 with Little snitch and every single audio kexts removed (I didn't remove UAD and Sonarworks last round). Just to double check, what's the proper way to remove a kext in Catalina? Delete, empty trash, then run Kext Utility?
Attempt 3:
- Restored back to Catalina
- Uninstalled Little Snitch 4
- Uninstalled Apogee
- Deleted ALL pro audio related kexts (AntelopeUnifiedDriver.kext, UAFWAudio.kext, Motu MIDI Driver.kext, SoundGrid.kext, UAD2System.kext, Sonarworks.Kext

Result: Success!
Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 8.54.49 AM.png

I know this doesn't provide 100% conclusive information of what kext or combination of kexts were causing the problem since I didn't delete them one by one and try an install each time (Didn't have time!). But if anyone is having trouble updating from Catalina to Big Sur and has Little Snitch 4 and audio kexts installed, it may be a good idea to remove them before you update.

Attempt 3:
- Restored back to Catalina
- Uninstalled Little Snitch 4
- Uninstalled Apogee
- Deleted ALL pro audio related kexts (AntelopeUnifiedDriver.kext, UAFWAudio.kext, Motu MIDI Driver.kext, SoundGrid.kext, UAD2System.kext, Sonarworks.Kext

Result: Success!
View attachment 503095
I know this doesn't provide 100% conclusive information of what kext or combination of kexts were causing the problem since I didn't delete them one by one and try an install each time (Didn't have time!). But if anyone is having trouble updating from Catalina to Big Sur and has Little Snitch 4 and audio kexts installed, it may be a good idea to remove them before you update.
Congratulations! Perseverance pays off. :) The kernel panic indicated a fault in com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily, so it's good to see that our interpretation appears to have been correct. Hopefully you'll be able to reinstall the necessary kexts without the system crashing...

Congratulations! Perseverance pays off. :) The kernel panic indicated a fault in com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily, so it's good to see that our interpretation appears to have been correct. Hopefully you'll be able to reinstall the necessary kexts without the system crashing...
I've reinstalled everything that I need and all my audio software that I use daily seems to be running smoothly. Some software like UAD, Sonarworks, and Little Snitch have separate Big Sur only installs. Interestingly enough, Sonarworks and Little Snitch didn't install any kexts in the L/E kext folder. I haven't re-installed the Motu driver because their website says it isn't compatible yet (and I rarely use it). I don't use Waves Soundgrid so I didn't put that kext back either. My Extensions folder looks like this now.

Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 9.23.52 AM.png

Hello @salvomercadante,

Let's start with some background questions:
  • Are you installing Big Sur from scratch (i.e. not upgrading an existing installation of Catalina or Mojave)?
  • If so, then after Big Sur installation program starts, do you run Disk Utility and format the new Big Sur SSD as APFS?
  • If you are using an NVMe SSD (in M.2 slot), what is the make/model of that SSD?
  • Are you using a WiFi/BT card as well, such as Fenvi FV-T919?
  • What PCIe cards are installed in the system?
    • RX 580 GPU
    • WiFi/BT card?
    • Anything else?
Hello! I managed to install the system by moving the pendrive to another door. I moved the EFI folder inside the system partition to perfect boot, but from the beginning I have these errors in bios. could you tell me the reason? thanks for your time

Attachments

• IMG_4250.jpg
    IMG_4250.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 45
Hello! I managed to install the system by moving the pendrive to another door. I moved the EFI folder inside the system partition to perfect boot, but from the beginning I have these errors in bios. could you tell me the reason? thanks for your time
those errors are due to not updating your config.plist when you upgraded your opencore version

how can I solve this problem?
use the entire efi from the guide is one way

or examine your config.plist with the sample.plist from OpenCore and add/remove/change the necessary parts that needs amending

use the entire efi from the guide is one way

or examine your config.plist with the sample.plist from OpenCore and add/remove/change the necessary parts that needs amending
I honestly don't even know where to look. could you take a look at it?

Attachments

• config.plist
    23 KB · Views: 33
Back