Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

The EFIClone script will copy the EFI folder. If the EFI folder on the main drive is still okay (i.e. if you do not want to change or recover that folder) then it's perfectly okay to skip the EFIClone script. In this case the EFI folders on both drives will not be touched.

Made two more attempts to upgrade to Big Sur but I still haven't succeeded. I'm in the process of restoring Catalina to my main drive to give it one more attempt.

Attempt 1:
Restored to Catalina, did another in-place update attempt without removing any Kext just to double check.

Result: Kernel Panic

Attempt 2:
Restored again to Catalina.
Uninstalled the following:
- Little Snitch 4 since Little Snitch 5 is not compatible with Catalina.
- Apogee (No longer using anyway)
- Updated Sonarworks to the latest build which is Big Sur compatible
- Removed AntelopeUnifiedDriver.kext, Motu MIDI Driver.kext, and SoundGrid.kext

Result: Kernel panic but I noticed that before it displayed the kernel panic, it hung on "Generation from SMC Report as 2" for a couple minutes.

Going to try attempt #3 with Little snitch and every single audio kexts removed (I didn't remove UAD and Sonarworks last round). Just to double check, what's the proper way to remove a kext in Catalina? Delete, empty trash, then run Kext Utility?

Quick Question: My EFI Folder after the Clover Configurator doesn't have the "Drivers64UEFI" Folder. Did I miss a step here? See attached photo for what my EFI Drive looks like.
You don’t need that folder anymore. Drivers64UEFI was an older clover folder structure which is not used anymore. Your Drivers > UEFI structure is correct.

The only settings that might affect this are Thunderbolt Boot Support and Thunderbolt Security. Unfortunately the issue we’re seeing goes much deeper. Someone may need to perform additional experiments with the firmware. I have heard that user “DSM2” on MacRumors.com has been working on a much improved version of the firmware mods for this card. Might be a good idea to search for his posts there.
I did a search there and the newest published firmware by him is identical to the NVM23 one here. Apparently he no longer works on that "new much improved" firmware as he sold the code to a company and I can find no info about "that company". Some ppl are selling Titan Ridge cards with modded firmware but who know if their firmware are just the ones here. Sigh, I'll have to give up for now.

Hi all,
I just tried following the guides written by @CaseySJ and flashed my Titan Ridge V2 (and applied SSDT patch), but after that the card won't recognize any device in macOS. System Info -> Thunderbolt does show stuff now but any time I connect a device, port speed changes from 40Gb/s x1 to 20Gb/s x2 and then nothing.
Weirdly the flashed card works in linux and if I then warm reboot to macOS then it still works, but System Info still shows "No device connected", and if I then do a hotplug then it'll stop working again.
For now I had to flash it back to stock. Anyone can help me on this please?
If you've flashed the card back to stock, try these two patches. It's for RP05, so feel free to find/replace R05 with whatever RPxx value you need.

Attachments

• SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-TB3HP-V4.aml
    6.1 KB · Views: 45
  • SSDT-DTPG.aml
    100 bytes · Views: 39
I have some bad news for everyone with a flashed GC-Titan Ridge. Mine has been flashed with NVM 23 (GC-Titan Ridge version 1.0):
  • Both Catalina 10.15.7 and Big Sur 11.2:
    • Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro will appear to connect, but full device tree does not materialize and the dock does not actually work.
    • Hence, the flashed GC-Titan Ridge no longer seems to work.
    • However, the flashed on-boardThunderbolt controller still works correctly.
      • Z390 Designare
      • Z490 Vision D
      • B556 Vision D
If anyone is using a flashed GC-Titan Ridge v1 or v2 with Catalina 10.15.7 or Big Sur 11.1 (or later), please let us know if the card works.

@i0ntempest: Have you tried booting the system with the Thunderbolt SSDT disabled? Please try both (a) device connection before boot, and (b) device hot plugged after boot.

UPDATE:
  • Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro does not work with either of my two flashed GC-Titan Ridge cards.
  • OWC Thunderbolt 3 14-Port Dock works perfectly with both of the flashed GC-Titan Ridge cards.
  • What is different between the two docks?
    • The Belkin supports both Thunderbolt and USB-C host connections. This means if the computer has either a Thunderbolt or simple USB-C port, it will connect intelligently to both, as follows:
      • If it detects a Thunderbolt host, it will use Thunderbolt protocol
      • If it does not detect a Thunderbolt host, it will use USB protocol
    • The OWC, however, only connects to Thunderbolt hosts.
Conclusion:
  • Thunderbolt peripherals that support both USB and Thunderbolt hosts will not work with the flashed GC-Titan Ridge.
  • Thunderbolt peripherals that support only Thunderbolt hosts will work with flashed GC-Titan Ridge.
  • However, the flashed on-board controller of (a) Z390 Designare, (b) Z490 Vision D, and (c) B550 Vision D supports both types of devices.
For the devices I have nothing appears to have changed.

Big Sur 11.1 I normally do not run betas of the point releases.

Modified version NVM33 GC Titan Ridge V1.0 With the system booted.

I have a cal digit dock it is TB only - works; both HDMI, USB 2.0 port, 3.0 port, and Ethernet

I have a Core-X EGPU - works with an eject icon.

My Sabrent USB-C 3.1 drive enclosure - Works

Thunderbolt <---> Thunderbolt networking works Hack to Hack:
I assume it still works to a real Mac I am just lazy and I do not want to move either system.

Video Passthrew works - USB-C and DP

TB2 G-Drive - Works with apple T2 -> T3 adaptor

I have some bad news for everyone with a flashed GC-Titan Ridge. Mine has been flashed with NVM 23 (GC-Titan Ridge version 1.0):
  • Both Catalina 10.15.7 and Big Sur 11.2:
    • Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro will appear to connect, but full device tree does not materialize and the dock does not actually work.
    • Hence, the flashed GC-Titan Ridge no longer seems to work.
    • However, the flashed on-boardThunderbolt controller still works correctly.
      • Z390 Designare
      • Z490 Vision D
      • B556 Vision D
If anyone is using a flashed GC-Titan Ridge v1 or v2 with Catalina 10.15.7 or Big Sur 11.1 (or later), please let us know if the card works.

@i0ntempest: Have you tried booting the system with the Thunderbolt SSDT disabled? Please try both (a) device connection before boot, and (b) device hot plugged after boot.

UPDATE:
  • Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro does not work with either of my two flashed GC-Titan Ridge cards.
  • OWC Thunderbolt 3 14-Port Dock works perfectly with both of the flashed GC-Titan Ridge cards.
  • What is different between the two docks?
    • The Belkin supports both Thunderbolt and USB-C host connections. This means if the computer has either a Thunderbolt or simple USB-C port, it will connect intelligently to both, as follows:
      • If it detects a Thunderbolt host, it will use Thunderbolt protocol
      • If it does not detect a Thunderbolt host, it will use USB protocol
    • The OWC, however, only connects to Thunderbolt hosts.
Conclusion:
  • Thunderbolt peripherals that support both USB and Thunderbolt hosts will not work with the flashed GC-Titan Ridge.
  • Thunderbolt peripherals that support only Thunderbolt hosts will work with flashed GC-Titan Ridge.
  • However, the flashed on-board controller of (a) Z390 Designare, (b) Z490 Vision D, and (c) B550 Vision D supports both types of devices.
@CaseySJ,
I have GC-Titan ridge v1 flashed with NVM50. When I hot plug my eGPU (Omen Accelerator with RX580), GPU is not fully detected (no frame buffers) and is not operating.

Main difference between onboard controller and GC-Titan-Ridge card is also on BIOS setting for onboard like ressource allocation (MEM, PMEM, IRQ). We don't have those settings for add-on card.

I have tested with onboard controller by setting all data to Zero except for MEM and PMEM with 1MB minimum required. On this configuration, I have same result (eGPU not fully detected).
I noticed that eGPU detection occur with 10MB only on MEM .

By the way, this issue doesn't appear with Thunderbolt 2 Ethernet (with TB3 to TB2 adaptator), probably because this device not require ressource allocation.

To solve this issue on eGPU detection, I have added _CRS method on my Thunderbolt SSDT (under RP21) and have modified two registers (R_20 and R_24) on _INI () initialization step (or PINI for Z390 Designare MB).

Code:
        External (MMRP, MethodObj)    // 2 Arguments

Name (RPNB, 0x15)

OperationRegion (RPSM, SystemMemory, MMRP (RPNB, One), 0x54)
        Field (RPSM, DWordAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
        {
            RPVD,   32,
            RPR4,   8,
            Offset (0x18),
            RP18,   8,
            RP19,   8,
            RP1A,   8,
            Offset (0x1C),
            RP1C,   16,
            Offset (0x20),
            R_20,   32,
            R_24,   32,
            R_28,   32,
            R_2C,   32,
            Offset (0x52),
                ,   11,
            RPLT,   1,
            Offset (0x54)
        }

Name (BUF0, ResourceTemplate ()
        {
            DWordMemory (ResourceProducer, PosDecode, MinFixed, MaxFixed, NonCacheable, ReadWrite,
                0x00000000,         // Granularity
                0xDF000000,         // Range Minimum
                0xDFFFFFFF,         // Range Maximum
                0x00000000,         // Translation Offset
                0x01000000,         // Length
                ,, , AddressRangeMemory, TypeStatic)
        })
        Method (_CRS, 0, Serialized)  // _CRS: Current Resource Settings
        {
            Return (BUF0) /* \_SB_.PCI0.RP21.BUF0 */
        }

Method (_INI, 0, NotSerialized)  // _INI: Initialize
        {
            R_20 = 0x00DF30DF
            R_24 = 0x01C011D0
        }

MMRP() is a native method (included on DSDT) and RPNB data related to Root Port number (here 0x15 = 21) connected to the add-on card (shall be modified).

I don't know if my previous issue is related to @i0ntempest issue but you can test it :)

@Elias64Fr,

This is a great suggestion!! Will run some tests later today and post a more detailed reply.

hi, I ran this guide but the installation hangs at this stage ?! can someone help me?? I've been trying to install it for two days :banghead::banghead::banghead:
Thanks

Attachments

• photo_2020-12-30_17-31-42.jpg
    photo_2020-12-30_17-31-42.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 1609346031357.png
    1609346031357.png
    312 bytes · Views: 48
hi, I ran this guide but the installation hangs at this stage ?! can someone help me?? I've been trying to install it for two days :banghead::banghead::banghead:
Thanks

Hello @salvomercadante,

Let's start with some background questions:
  • Are you installing Big Sur from scratch (i.e. not upgrading an existing installation of Catalina or Mojave)?
  • If so, then after Big Sur installation program starts, do you run Disk Utility and format the new Big Sur SSD as APFS?
  • If you are using an NVMe SSD (in M.2 slot), what is the make/model of that SSD?
  • Are you using a WiFi/BT card as well, such as Fenvi FV-T919?
  • What PCIe cards are installed in the system?
    • RX 580 GPU
    • WiFi/BT card?
    • Anything else?

Back