Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Apple Pro Display XDR SUCCESS!! with Gigabyte Designare Z390, Catalina 10.15.7, OC Radeon 5700 XT with DP 1.4 Cable from Radeon DP out to the DP input on the Designare and a $15, 2m cable (link below) from the TB3 port on the Designare to the Apple Pro Display XDR. I see the boot screen and OC picker and most of the progress bar, then the display goes black for a while, and then it comes back. Full-resolution: 6016x3384. Screen brightness is controllable via Apple keyboard function keys. (Note: the same setup does not work with Apple's Pro Display Cable).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08C28GSKH/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Last edited:
I have some bad news for everyone with a flashed GC-Titan Ridge. Mine has been flashed with NVM 23 (GC-Titan Ridge version 1.0):
  • Both Catalina 10.15.7 and Big Sur 11.2:
    • Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro will appear to connect, but full device tree does not materialize and the dock does not actually work.
    • Hence, the flashed GC-Titan Ridge no longer seems to work.
    • However, the flashed on-boardThunderbolt controller still works correctly.
      • Z390 Designare
      • Z490 Vision D
      • B556 Vision D
If anyone is using a flashed GC-Titan Ridge v1 or v2 with Catalina 10.15.7 or Big Sur 11.1 (or later), please let us know if the card works.

@i0ntempest: Have you tried booting the system with the Thunderbolt SSDT disabled? Please try both (a) device connection before boot, and (b) device hot plugged after boot.
I have a flashed GC-Titan Ridge v2 card that I could put into my Z490 VisionD. What, specifically do you want me to check?

Apple Pro Display XDR SUCCESS!! with Gigabyte Designare Z390, Catalina 10.15.7, OC Radeon 5700 XT with DP 1.4 Cable from Radeon DP out to the DP input on the Designare and a $15, 2m cable (link below) from the TB3 port on the Designare to the Apple Pro Display XDR. I see the boot screen and OC picker and most of the progress bar, then the display goes black for a while, and then it comes back. Full-resolution: 6016x3384. Screen brightness is controllable via Apple keyboard function keys. (Note: the same setup does not work with Apple's Pro Display Cable).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08C28GSKH/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
Interesting, that’s just a USB-C cable (not Thunderbolt). It works because it carries DisplayPort Alt-Mode signal to the Pro Display XDR. Because the XDR has no USB ports or microphone or speakers or camera, simply sending a DisplayPort signal is sufficient. DisplayPort 1.4 supports up to 8K.

I have a flashed GC-Titan Ridge v2 card that I could put into my Z490 VisionD. What, specifically do you want me to check?
Are you able to connect a Thunderbolt dock?

With thunderbolt SSDTs disabled port link speed is locked at 20Gb/s x2 and no longer changes when I plug stuff in. But no, it's still not recognizing any of my devices (both hot plugging and plug in before boot). Also seems the shutdown problem only occurs when there's stuff connected to the card.

My flashed V1 GC-Titan Ridge card seems to still be working ok with Catalina 10.15.7.

My experiences after flashing my GC-Titan Ridge cards, I recall having the TB settings in bios not sticking the first couple of boots. For example, after initial boot with installed card, I would change all the appropriate TB settings in bios to their proper parameters, save and reboot. Then go back into bios and find security settings under TB to be user authorized instead of disabled. I think I had to change this a second time before it would stick. Another finding from my experience with this card is that I get more reliability after a cold boot.

After testing my two GC-Titan Ridge cards on two different systems with two different Thunderbolt docks, I can conclude the following (good news and bad news):

Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 1.58.44 PM.png

This information has also been added to the Thunderbolt Firmware Repository:
Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 2.02.45 PM.png

Addendum to Previous Post:

Question:

For flashed GC-Titan Ridge cards, what will happen if we connect a Thunderbolt-only dock such as OWC 14-Port Dock or CalDigit Thunderbolt Dock, then attach a previously non-working Thunderbolt device to the daisy-chain port on one of these docks?

Answer:
Unfortunately this does not work either.

Last edited:
Addendum to Previous Post:

Question:

For flashed GC-Titan Ridge cards, what will happen if we connect a Thunderbolt-only dock such as OWC 14-Port Dock or CalDigit Thunderbolt Dock, then attach a previously non-working Thunderbolt device to the daisy-chain port on one of these dock?

Answer:
Unfortunately this does not work either.
Is there a Thunderbolt "starter" guide that includes BIOS settings and stuff that "just to make thunderbolt work" in this forum? I followed thunderbolt guides on multiple forums and I figured maybe I should start all over, then try flashing my card again. If this still fails I might just as well give up... Thanks for helping though.

Is there a Thunderbolt "starter" guide that includes BIOS settings and stuff that "just to make thunderbolt work" in this forum? I followed thunderbolt guides on multiple forums and I figured maybe I should start all over, then try flashing my card again. If this still fails I might just as well give up... Thanks for helping though.
The only settings that might affect this are Thunderbolt Boot Support and Thunderbolt Security. Unfortunately the issue we’re seeing goes much deeper. Someone may need to perform additional experiments with the firmware. I have heard that user “DSM2” on MacRumors.com has been working on a much improved version of the firmware mods for this card. Might be a good idea to search for his posts there.

Quick Question: My EFI Folder after the Clover Configurator doesn't have the "Drivers64UEFI" Folder. Did I miss a step here? See attached photo for what my EFI Drive looks like.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 6.19.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 6.19.53 PM.png
    467.4 KB · Views: 31
@CaseySJ hey, I followed your AMD performance guide but read too fast; I'm running Catalina and left the SSDT in so I get a KP.

How do I go about disabling that SSDT from Clover at boot? I didn't back up :( I'd hate to do a re-install. Thanks!

Back