Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Quick question on the internal Intel Graphics... i use an rx580, i don't do video editing. Should i have the internal graphics on in the bios or not? Do i need to do anything other than turning it off in the BIOS ?
Yes, internal graphics should be kept enabled (not Auto and not Disabled). The iGPU will be used for Quick Look (for JPEG files), Preview, H.264 and HEVC, etc.

It's always good to structure these findings as follows:
  • TBD with GC-Alpine Ridge: Without Thunderbolt SSDTs
    • Turns on at POST instead of waiting for late stage of macOS boot process
    • Camera, speakers, USB ports, microphone work
    • Monitor turns on quickly after waking from sleep
    • Camera, speakers, USB ports, microphone work after waking from sleep?
  • TBD with GC-Alpine Ridge: With Thunderbolt SSDTs
    • Does it still turn on at POST (it should)?
    • Camera, speakers, USB ports, microphone still work?
    • Monitor turns on after waking from sleep
    • Camera, speakers, USB ports, microphone work after waking from sleep?
Please note: System Information --> Thunderbolt will always show "No drivers are loaded". This is fine and can be ignored. Only when Thunderbolt Bus is activated will this message disappear and be replaced with information about the Thunderbolt Bus.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the rambling post. My observations are below.

• Camera, speakers, USB ports, microphone do Not work after waking from sleep
    • Monitor turns on after sleep but stays black, but you can tell the backlight is on. In general the behavior from sleep without the Thunderbolt SSDTs seems worse than with.
    • On one occasion observed a message when waking from sleep that USB devices were drawing too much power and were disabled.
    • Turns on at post instead of waiting for late stage of macOS boot process
    • Camera, speakers, USB ports, microphone do NOT work after waking from sleep.

Comparing my IO Registry before and after sleep, what I see in either case(with or without SSDTs), is the DSB4@4 entry disappears. See post 28,488 for IO registries before and after sleep. This seems to coincide with the loss of the USB2.0 bus that the camera, speakers are using. Is that something that can be fixed in the SSDT? I notice there are some entries about wake behavior.

Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 5.24.12 AM.png

Hi there CaseySJ and all the other amazing contributors to this forum. I cannot quite believe how many pages of posts have been added to this thread since last I visited - great work!

I have been running KGP's X99 build for many years without much issue (except thunderbolt stability) and have recently also built this Z390 machine. Thank you Casey and the rest of the contributors for an amazing guide!

I am using opencore 0.6.4, Catalina 10.15.7 and so far I have only two queries:

1. I have a TP-link TL-WDN4800 from my previous build which I am trying to get working in slot 2 and cant seem to get going. Can anyone perhaps point me in the right direction to get this working in this build?

2. I have a 4bay USB3.0 disk utility formatted raid0, which runs over 2x usb 3.0 ports. Using certain combinations of ports to read/write to/from the raid causes the system to freeze completely, while using other combinations seems to work flawlessly. Is there something im missing here, some rule or reason for this?

I hope that I have provided the correct information to assist with solutions to these issues and thanks to all in advance!

Last edited:
1. I have a TP-link TL-WDN4800 from my previous build which I am trying to get working in slot 2 and cant seem to get going. Can anyone perhaps point me in the right direction to get this working in this build?
Hello @HackAttack,

Do you know which Broadcom WiFi module is used in this card? Is it BCM94352? Have you tried adding AirportBrcmFixup.kext?

2. I have a 4bay USB3.0 disk utility formatted raid0, which runs over 2x usb 3.0 ports. Using certain combinations of ports to read/write to/from the raid causes the system to freeze completely, while using other combinations seems to work flawlessly. Is there something im missing here, some rule or reason for this?
What is the make/model of the 4-Bay disk enclosure? It's a bit unusual to see a 4-bay unit needing two USB 3.0 connections...

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the rambling post. My observations are below.

• Camera, speakers, USB ports, microphone do Not work after waking from sleep
    • Monitor turns on after sleep but stays black, but you can tell the backlight is on. In general the behavior from sleep without the Thunderbolt SSDTs seems worse than with.
    • On one occasion observed a message when waking from sleep that USB devices were drawing too much power and were disabled.
    • Turns on at post instead of waiting for late stage of macOS boot process
    • Camera, speakers, USB ports, microphone do NOT work after waking from sleep.

Comparing my IO Registry before and after sleep, what I see in either case(with or without SSDTs), is the DSB4@4 entry disappears. See post 28,488 for IO registries before and after sleep. This seems to coincide with the loss of the USB2.0 bus that the camera, speakers are using. Is that something that can be fixed in the SSDT? I notice there are some entries about wake behavior.
Because you're using a GC-Alpine Ridge card, it is possible to enable Thunderbolt Bus with just an SSDT. Have you already tried that?

does not work in Hackintosh USB-C look in ioreg, does not see more than one USB
Some questions/requests:
  • What is the make/model of your motherboard?
  • What is the make/model of your Thunderbolt card (if you are using a PCIe add-in-card)?
  • What version of macOS are you running on the Hackintosh?
  • Please post the Thunderbolt SSDT that you're using.
On the Hackintosh we can see that there are no USB ports defined under XHC3, so USB-C devices won't connect.

Hello @HackAttack,

Do you know which Broadcom WiFi module is used in this card? Is it BCM94352? Have you tried adding AirportBrcmFixup.kext?

What is the make/model of the 4-Bay disk enclosure? It's a bit unusual to see a 4-bay unit needing two USB 3.0 connections...

Thank you for the response CaseySJ!

I am unfortunately not too sure how to tell which module is used in the card :/ From some random research I have found that it may be the Atheros AR9380 Chip? Does that sound right? This is a link to the spec sheet of the card:
https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/pci-adapter/tl-wdn4800/#specifications.
I can indeed try AirportBrcmFixup.kext. Do I just place it into the kext folder in the efi partition of the system drive and thats it?

The 4-bay enclosure is a custom build that ive housed myself with two of these, using software raid in disk utility - has worked well for years on my previous hack and many other systems so far and gets 750 odd MB/s R/W
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WS59SP4/?tag=tonymacx86com-20.

Some questions/requests:
  • What is the make/model of your Thunderbolt card (if you are using a PCIe add-in-card)?
On the Hackintosh we can see that there are no USB ports defined under XHC3, so USB-C devices won't connect.
  • ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS
  • GIGABYTE GC-TITAN RIDGE rev.1.0 PCI CARD
  • Big Sur - iMacPro
  • Thank you for helping!

Attachments

• SSDT-TBOLT3.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 43
Back