Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ
When I cold boot with your SSDT for Asus Prime X299 Deluxe II, I can get USB-C and Thunderbolt recognized with Thunderbolt Bus active. But my WiFi won't transmit any data.
View attachment 501866
On the other hand, when I warm boot (restart) the registry is completely empty. Nothing shows up under RP05 at all. WiFi is restored. At this point, unless changing these Antelope Audio Thunderbolt driver to older versions works, I'm gonna switch to an Apollo. I've been at this for 3 months with only incremental progress, all thanks to the brilliance and persistence of this incredible community.

I have several Raspberry Pi's, but until @qthegaijin or someone else confirms that it'll get the Antelope recognized, I'll stay out of the firmware flashing zone. Too much hardware at risk.
We struggled for a long time to activate Titan Ridge Thunderbolt Bus with SSDT alone, but it did not work. Alpine Ridge controllers can be activated this way, but not Titan Ridge. Our only choice -- if we need Thunderbolt Bus (not everyone needs it) on Titan Ridge -- is to flash the firmware.

However, one can instead buy a GC-Alpine Ridge add-in-card or even a GC-Titan Ridge add-in-card. SSDT can enable Thunderbolt Bus on the GC-Alpine Ridge, and firmware can be flashed easily on the GC-Titan Ridge.

However, whether Antelope Audio drivers will work (a) at all, and (b) work reliably from run to run is uncertain.

@CaseySJ thank you very much for the time you devoted to me! the community would be lost without your help :lol::crazy::thumbup:
Thanks to you, flashrom now supports a new SPI ROM chip! Have you submitted a pull request on your changes? Other owners of your motherboard will be able to extract Thunderbolt firmware in the future and who knows, they might find a solution!

Last edited:
We struggled for a long time to activate Titan Ridge Thunderbolt Bus with SSDT alone, but it did not work. Alpine Ridge controllers can be activated this way, but not Titan Ridge. Our only choice -- if we need Thunderbolt Bus (not everyone needs it) on Titan Ridge -- is to flash the firmware.

However, one can instead buy a GC-Alpine Ridge add-in-card or even a GC-Titan Ridge add-in-card. SSDT can enable Thunderbolt Bus on the GC-Alpine Ridge, and firmware can be flashed easily on the GC-Titan Ridge.

However, whether Antelope Audio drivers will work (a) at all, and (b) work reliably from run to run is uncertain.
That's very strange. You were able to identify the controller of my motherboard as Titan Ridge, which makes since because this version has only been around a year. Yet the Alpine Ridge SSDT you wrote activated my Thunderbolt Bus. Granted, my devices only can be seen in the IOReg tree and not the Thunderbolt Bus, but is there anything else the SSDT is supposed to do?

Side note: Is there a way I can get my Asus ThunderboltEXII/Dual card to be seen and activated by the BIOS/Windows/macOS?

That's very strange. You were able to identify the controller of my motherboard as Titan Ridge, which makes since because this version has only been around a year. Yet the Alpine Ridge SSDT you wrote activated my Thunderbolt Bus. Granted, my devices only can be seen in the IOReg tree and not the Thunderbolt Bus, but is there anything else the SSDT is supposed to do?
I should have stated this more clearly! The SSDT to enable Thunderbolt Bus is the same for both Alpine Ridge and Titan Ridge controllers, but the Titan Ridge chip immediately resets back into ICM mode (Internal Connection Manager), whereas Alpine Ridge remains in OS-Connection mode (which allows macOS to attach and detach devices properly).

Side note: Is there a way I can get my Asus ThunderboltEXII/Dual card to be seen and activated by the BIOS/Windows/macOS?
All Thunderbolt cards will work under Windows and even macOS in ICM mode. Windows and Linux do not support Thunderbolt Bus so there's no loss of functionality there. If you absolutely require Thunderbolt Bus, then we can attempt to use an SSDT in macOS, but only if the controller is Alpine Ridge.

Same problem UAD control panel is saying no Devices found.

Here is my new Ioreg file now that I've implemented your SSDT and got the new TB2 to TB3 adaptor.

I've connected the UAD to TB port 1... and it appears that the Titan Ridge is in the third PCIE port.
The SSDT is properly activated, but because this is an AMD Threadripper system, please try the following:
  • Connect a Thunderbolt 3 dock to the TRX40 motherboard (if you have a TB3 dock) to see if it works.
  • Or connect a different, but "simple" Thunderbolt 3 device (one that does not require drivers).
  • Perform a Hardware Reset on the UAD Device.
  • Update the UAD's on-board firmware to latest version (by connecting UAD device to a Windows or Mac or Hack that works).
  • Also install the latest UAD drivers on the Hackintosh.
The problem you are experiencing with the UAD is not due to the SSDT because Thunderbolt is operational. The changes I suggested to Thunderbolt DROM are not necessary; just nice to have. This is why it's important to connect a "simple" Thunderbolt 2 or Thunderbolt 3 device to check whether it works.

Thunderbolt on AMD systems can be very finicky. Very very finicky!

Last edited:
HI @CaseySJ. I followed your guide and was successful in installing firmware on my GC Titan Ridge. I have a UAD Apollo and satellite DSP card. When I plug both into the computer, only one would power on but both will show in in Thunderbolt bus. Please see pics. Please help. thanks,
Hello @Blast44,

Please try this:
  • Connect both UAD devices before booting the system.
    • This is Boot #1
  • When macOS starts, log in and select Reboot from the Apple menu.
    • This is Boot #2
  • When macOS starts again, log back in and check if both devices are recognized in the UAD control panel.

Hello @Blast44,

Please try this:
  • Connect both UAD devices before booting the system.
    • This is Boot #1
  • When macOS starts, log in and select Rebootfrom the Apple menu.
    • This is Boot #2
  • When macOS starts again, log back in and check if both devices are recognized in the UAD control panel.
I tried your suggestion but it did not work. it seems as if both ports cannot work at the same time. my system profiler is showing both connected but only one will work. however both devices will work when daisy chained.
I tried making a custom SSDT using the web version here. but I couldn't get the USB-C to show up nor work.Thanks.

I tried your suggestion but it did not work. it seems as if both ports cannot work at the same time. my system profiler is showing both connected but only one will work. however both devices will work when daisy chained.
I tried making a custom SSDT using the web version here. but I couldn't get the USB-C to show up nor work.Thanks.
FWIW, this has been my experience with the Titan Ridge TB3 card (Rev 1) in slot 4 of the Gibabyte Z370 Ultra Gaming 7, no matter the BIOS version or settings, and no matter the type of bootloader. Both TB ports on that system work in Windows 10.

FWIW, this has been my experience with the Titan Ridge TB3 card (Rev 1) in slot 4 of the Gibabyte Z370 Ultra Gaming 7, no matter the BIOS version or settings, and no matter the type of bootloader. Both TB ports on that system work in Windows 10.

I will be trying to flash mine soon, so it is natively seen in MacOS.

The first step is always to check if Apple TBD will work the GC-Alpine Ridge as-is, without being flashed. A custom SSDT is not even necessary for that, but it is necessary to enable hot plug. In that case we will need to know which Root Port the GC-Alpine Ridge is connected to. We can determine this by looking at the IOReg file (IORegistryExplorer --> File --> Save As...). If you post that file, it should be easy to download a custom SSDT from HackinDROM and apply the Root Port rename directly in HackinDROM.

Ok - Alpine Ridge card is in, replacing the Titan Ridge card I was using.

First of all, my Apple TBD turns on at post instead of half way through the boot cycle. Wow. Really nice. FaceTime camera, speakers, working without even using the SSDT-DTPG.aml file or SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM.aml file. The monitor also turns on much faster when waking from sleep, and the Alpine ridge card is much simpler to install as you don't have to hook up power supply cables, and the USB 2.0 bus pass through.

I did generate the HackinDROM file, but the Thunderbolt system report says No drivers are loaded. The USB 2.0 Bus shows the Thunderbolt Display, FaceTime camera and Display audio. I did do a find and replace when generating the HackinDROM for RP21 ->RP05 which is what I was using for Titan Ridge.

My only issue, and a big issue, is after sleep, I lose the speakers, and camera. The USB 2.0 Hub disappears that has the Apple Thunderbolt Display, Camera and Audio. The display itself still turns back on though.

Now interestingly enough, before I loaded the SSDT-DTPG.aml and SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM.aml, I saw a message after I woke the machine from sleep, that items on the USB bus were ejected for using too much power. I don't know if that is what is going on. I don't see that message with the SSDT-DTPG.aml and SSDT-TBD-HackinDROM.aml loaded, but doesn't mean it's maybe not the issue?

This is what I see in the USB Device Tree:

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 9.01.00 PM.png

I'm not sure if the 500mA limit is a problem?

Attached is also my IOregistry before and after sleep and SSDT in case you see anything else there that may be an issue.

Comparing the two, you can see what disappears after sleep. Not sure why, but DSB4@4 disappears.

Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 5.24.12 AM.png

Attachments

• NTS_IO_Registry.ioreg
    33.4 MB · Views: 42
  • SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM.aml
    2.2 KB · Views: 44
  • NTS_IO_Reg_after_sleep.ioreg
    32.7 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Back