Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I did both of those. It still isn't being recognized. Its an 8tb seagate compute drive.
Does the drive appear in BIOS Setup itself, in the SATA section?

Since I am using the Xtreme Aorus not Designaire, which config file should I use in the HackinDROM pull down menu. I know I select my working 0.6.3 from my working USB but does it matter which default I use? I have two machines working now on 0.6.3 and would like to not break either one. I have backups and a separate USB for each build as one is the older Z170-UD5 TH. Just looking for a streamlined process to upgrade monthly. TIA
I skipped the whole "hackindrom" app and just used PlistEdit Pro and copied and pasted the pertinent entries from "ACPI, DeviceProperties, Platforminfo, etc.." over from my 0.6.3 config.plist into CaseySJ's config. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about O.C. during these updates. So far so good..

Does the drive appear in BIOS Setup itself, in the SATA section?
It doesn't. it says unknown.

******EDIT*****

So I plugged in a different drive and it works fine. The new drive has not been formatted. Maybe thats it? But how can I format it without it being recognized?

Last edited:
Has anyone had success driving an Apple Pro Display XDR or LG 5K display via Thunderbolt from this setup?
I am using an i9-9900K CPU with a 5700XT video card, I have DisplayPort out on the 5700XT connected to the DisplayPort in on the Z390 Designare. I have applied the ROM patch to the on-board Thunderbolt. I am running Catalina 10.15.7 with OC 0.6.3. I have PCIe video initialized first with on-board GPU enabled in the BIOS. When I plug in a display via Thunderbolt my box restarts and/or goes to BIOS.
Should this work? Does anyone have ideas what to check to try to diagnose this?
Note: DisplayPort out from the 5700XT to a monitor with DisplayPort in works fine.
Note 2: Hot-plug of USB-C Storage, TB3 Storage, and TB UAD Audio interfaces, and TB3 10Gb network interfaces all work fine.

Last edited:
That heroic effort deserves commendation! Attached ZIP contains two modified versions of the Intel Quartz Canyon NUC Thunderbolt firmware. Please try MOD-1 first. If there are issues with device connection on cold boot or warm boot or wake-from-sleep, then try MOD-2.

After flashing, please post the IOReg file (IORegistryExplorer --> File --> Save As...) so I can create the Thunderbolt DROM SSDT.

UPDATE:
  • Because your Thunderbolt controller is on RP05, please try the attached Thunderbolt SSDT (both files needed).
  • Are you going to submit those Flashrom changes to the developers?

Thanks a lot @CaseySJ for your help !
of course once my tests finished, I will share my modifications with the developers via a pull Request :thumbup:

I tried to flash the first binary but the flash ended with an error and I think I know why !
Capture d’écran 2020-12-08 à 21.28.36.png

I think this is due to the 8M memory structure! I think the memory is made up of several banks [bank0 to bank7] and you probably patched only the bank0 !

If the active partition starts @ offset 0x4000 for the bank0 ... the active partitions for the next banks shall be at offset 0x104000, 0x204000, 0x304000, 0x404000, ..., 0x704000 ! the content of the 8 Banks must be consistent for the verification to be OK !

even if the flash chip state is unknown everything is booting but the thunderbolt still undetected :confused::crazy:

Thanks a lot @CaseySJ for your help !
of course once my tests finished, I will share my modifications with the developers via a pull Request :thumbup:
Good idea to wait until the full flow has been tested.
I tried to flash the first binary but the flash ended with an error and I think I know why !
This indicates a problem with the flashrom modification. See next paragraph below.
I think this is due to the 8M memory structure! I think the memory is made up of several banks [bank0 to bank7] and you probably patched only the bank0 !

If the active partition starts @ offset 0x4000 for the bank0 ... the active partitions for the next banks shall be at offset 0x104000, 0x204000, 0x304000, 0x404000, ..., 0x704000 ! the content of the 8 Banks must be consistent for the verification to be OK !

even if the flash chip state is unknown everything is booting but the thunderbolt still undetected :confused::crazy:
After looking at the extracted firmware once again, I can confirm that the extracted firmware itself is not correct. The changes made to flashrom had the effect of reading the first 1MB from the chip eight times. Hence, the contents of the first 1MB are simply repeated 8 times, which is of course not correct. This also means that the Texas Instruments (TI) power delivery (PD) firmware is missing. (Most Thunderbolt SPI flash ROMs contain both the Intel Thunderbolt firmware and the TI power delivery firmware. Some motherboards employ separate flash ROMs.)

A similar problem exists when writing to the chip.

Bottom line: The changes made to flashrom are not complete or correct in that memory addresses above 1MB are not being accessed correctly.

******EDIT*****

So I plugged in a different drive and it works fine. The new drive has not been formatted. Maybe thats it? but how can i format it without it being recognized?
This means that the drive itself is incompatible with the motherboard. If you have the ability to return/exchange the drive for another model, that would be recommended. Alternatively, the drive itself could be defective.

Good idea to wait until the full flow has been tested.

This indicates a problem with the flashrom modification. See next paragraph below.

After looking at the extracted firmware once again, I can confirm that the extracted firmware itself is not correct. The changes made to flashrom had the effect of reading the first 1MB from the chip eight times. Hence, the contents of the first 1MB are simply repeated 8 times, which is of course not correct. This also means that the Texas Instruments (TI) power delivery (PD) firmware is missing. (Most Thunderbolt SPI flash ROMs contain both the Intel Thunderbolt firmware and the TI power delivery firmware. Some motherboards employ separate flash ROMs.)

A similar problem exists when writing to the chip.

Bottom line: The changes made to flashrom are not complete or correct in that memory addresses above 1MB are not being accessed correctly.
Thanks master for your quick reply.

Darn, I thought we were so close from the final result. I will have a closer look to the flashROM patch.

******EDIT*****

So I plugged in a different drive and it works fine. The new drive has not been formatted. Maybe thats it? But how can I format it without it being recognized?

Just for fun, if you have access to a Windows PC, plug it in and see if it shows up in Disk Management.

I've had that happen before. Please make sure that in Disk Utility that you are viewing in the "Show All Devices" mode. If you have one those SATA3 to USB adapters -like the Startech ones, you may be able to format it as ExFAT first to nuke the drive. If this is successful, then you can likely reformat the drive –an 8TB spinner was it?– to HFS+, etc.

Back