Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Please follow steps 1 and 2 as shown. Then steps 3 and 4 are optional, but recommended after Catalina has been fully installed, verified, and backed up. If you have more than one disk connected that contains an EFI folder, be sure to press F12 at BIOS Splash Screen to pick the right EFI disk.

IMPORTANT:
  • If you are using Clover Configurator to copy SMBIOS items from one EFI folder to another EFI folder, please do not do that. There's a problem in Clover Configurator when two EFI partitions are mounted; it gets confused between them.
  • So Run Hackintool to see the current serial number, ROM, board serial number, etc. and copy/paste those fields into the new config.plist (making sure that only one EFI partition is mounted when Clover Configurator is running).

View attachment 499966

I followed your 1, updated from F8 to F9i and made required changes to the BIOS.

I followed 2, made changes to config files with BBEdit, and booting into the new EFI machine had changed from 19,1 to 18,1 with a new serial number.

I was just using Clover Configurator to look at things, your guidance that it gets confused when multiple EFIs are mounted explains why one of the config files had a bunch of blanks in one or more panes.

But anyway, I think upgrade path to Catalina is no longer available, I assume have to do a clean install and then migrate to bring over apps and data (and for data I have your setup with home on another drive, so not sure how that may complicate)?

1607210710033.png

Just a little update on my issue of bluetooth/usb dying out after awhile. I did three things so not sure which fixed it but:

1. I was using the 0x3E980003 Platform-ID with the Integrated GFX turned off in BIOS, I turned it back on.
2. I swapped the Magic Mouse 1 for a 2
3. I clocked down my DDR4 to 2666 from 2700.

Wake from display off now works perfectly as the screen was flickering a lot before it would come on. and the system has been on for almost 24 hours without an issue. :thumbup:

I followed your 1, updated from F8 to F9i and made required changes to the BIOS.

I followed 2, made changes to config files with BBEdit, and booting into the new EFI machine had changed from 19,1 to 18,1 with a new serial number.

I was just using Clover Configurator to look at things, your guidance that it gets confused when multiple EFIs are mounted explains why one of the config files had a bunch of blanks in one or more panes.

But anyway, I think upgrade path to Catalina is no longer available, I assume have to do a clean install and then migrate to bring over apps and data (and for data I have your setup with home on another drive, so not sure how that may complicate)?

View attachment 499969
It's not necessary to perform a fresh install if you have a bootable back of Mojave. You can copy the serial numbers from the EFI partition of that disk and just re-do the EFI folder for Catalina.

It's not necessary to perform a fresh install if you have a bootable back of Mojave. You can copy the serial numbers from the EFI partition of that disk and just re-do the EFI folder for Catalina.
Mojave install is still intact/fine, less kexts deleted from /Library/Extensions per the Update Micro-Guide, plus have a backup before those deletions (and checked to make sure that was OK, EFI and OSX).

Can't update to Catalina via System Preferences (can only go to Big Sur there), but I s'pose should be possible to update from App Store.

But before doing this I guess I need to do some homework on config.plist. Moving RtVariables and SMBIOS blocks over from my Mojave install did not seem to do the trick, maybe those sections don't include system definitions (so showing 18,1 instead of 19,1) and for some reason SerialNumber in System Info was different from what was in config.plist file in boot EFI. The SMBIOS block I copied over from my Mojave install also had incorrect BIOS info, as I had updated from F8 to F9i, date and version at least.

I also have to refresh my memory on how Hackintosh serial numbers work. Not sure if they are supposed to show as valid when you check coverage, or not …

Also my choice is to figure out upgrading Mojave to Catalina vs a clean install and migration. Maybe the latter is "cleaner …"

Hello,

Would like to swap out the onboard Intel WIFI/Bluetooth card with this card,
BCM94360NG
Has anyone got this WIFI/Bluetooth card to work?
If so, please share the how to process?

Thanks

At this point it's a matter of trial and error so it makes sense to upgrade BIOS to F15a. Are other owners of your motherboard experiencing the same problem?

Also, what USB devices are you connecting to the system?
It looks like that there are not a lot of owners of the same motherboard. Concerning the update to F15a it says:
  1. Workaround beta BIOS to improve Kingston DDR4-2666 stability concern on some specific memory chip suppliers
  2. Add NTFS format support for Q-Flash™
Looks like a beta version and nothing about USB issues.
The USB drive is HGST TOURO MOBILE MX3. I have checked another drive that I have and no problems at all. It looks like Touro is initialized incorrectly during boot and this value is send to OSX. May be there is a way to reinitialize it after boot...
Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
@CaseySJ

Hello, would you have any other ideas on how to make it work?

thanks
It would be best to report this to High Point tech support. Because the driver worked in Catalina, they should be able to help you with Big Sur.

...May be there is a way to reinitialize it after boot...
If you want to format the drive as FAT32, exFAT, HFS, or APFS then it can be done with Disk Utility.

Hello,

Would like to swap out the onboard Intel WIFI/Bluetooth card with this card,
BCM94360NG
Has anyone got this WIFI/Bluetooth card to work?
If so, please share the how to process?

Thanks
This card will not work on the Designare Z390. Only Intel CNVi modules are compatible with that particular socket on the motherboard.

Back