Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

MaxTech, 9to5Mac, and others on YouTube have compared 4K and 8K Final Cut Pro timeline scrubbing and exporting on M1 Mac mini versus (a) 16 Inch MacBook Pro and (b) 28-Core 2019 Mac Pro and found the $700 Mac mini to outclass them both.

Having watched a fair number of M1 reviews on YouTube, I am quickly coming to the conclusion that within 12 to 18 months there will be no further reason to run an Intel-based Mac.

Incidentally, not for a single moment did I think that the 2019 Mac Pro (starting price $6000) made any sense. Some YouTubers purchased $30,000 Mac Pro configurations that are being outclassed by the $700 Mac mini. When higher end Apple Silicon Macs arrive next year, I can only imagine how far ahead they will be.

It is pretty stunning. My i9-9900 OC'd benchmarks at 1380/9000 and the Mac mini with apple silicon around 1750/7500. A true desktop CPU will blow the i9 out of the water for multi-core as well.

Some of these GPU/Monitor issues can be very tricky. Let's do this:
  • Connect only 1 monitor. What is the make/model of the monitor? Photo says "Acer", but not the model number.
  • Try different ports and connectors. Try both HDMI and DisplayPort.
  • Perform a factory reset on the monitor via its on-board menu.
  • Try a different GPU. If you have an RX 580, try that first (you may keep "agdpmod=pikera" even with RX 580).
  • Try enabling CSM Support in BIOS Setup.
@CaseySJ Ok, so I've tried a few different Monitors/ports, all the same result. I also tried enabling CSM, same result. I do have a 580 but it's in another running machine right now so before I mutilate that workstation did you have any other suggestions? One other piece of info is that the system doesn't seem stable when booted, I can move the mouse but once I click on the mystery window the cursor disappears.

@CaseySJ Ok, so I've tried a few different Monitors/ports, all the same result. I also tried enabling CSM, same result. I do have a 580 but it's in another running machine right now so before I mutilate that workstation did you have any other suggestions? One other piece of info is that the system doesn't seem stable when booted, I can move the mouse but once I click on the mystery window the cursor disappears.
Was this a fresh installation and Migration Assistant was not used?

Was this a fresh installation and Migration Assistant was not used?
Correct, fresh installation. After the successful installation and reboot (waiting about 12 minutes for the OS to configure itself) it loaded into the aforementioned screen.

Correct, fresh installation. After the successful installation and reboot (waiting about 12 minutes for the OS to configure itself) it loaded into the aforementioned screen.
I have not tested my RX 5700 XT on that system, but my RX 580 works absolutely brilliantly. I'm thinking it might be good to install the RX 580 now so we can at least determine whether the problem is due to the 5700 XT. In other words, if the RX 580 works, then we can conclude that the 5700 XT is at fault. But if the RX 580 also fails, then we know that we need to look elsewhere for a solution.

I have not tested my RX 5700 XT on that system, but my RX 580 works absolutely brilliantly. I'm thinking it might be good to install the RX 580 now so we can at least determine whether the problem is due to the 5700 XT. In other words, if the RX 580 works, then we can conclude that the 5700 XT is at fault. But if the RX 580 also fails, then we know that we need to look elsewhere for a solution.
Ok, popped in the 580 and got black screens on both monitors, on a single monitor, on DP and HDMI.

when I did the upgrade (using system prefs--software update) from 10.15.5 to 10.15.7 the other day, I noticed that strange screen popped up at the end of the last part of the update, and then it went away and the desktop appeared. you said you're doing a clean install, and therefore I assume you downloaded the Catalina installer and created a USB install media thumb drive. if so, I would try re-downloading Catalina, then re-making the installer thumb drive, before you tear apart your other machine.

Ok, popped in the 580 and got black screens on both monitors, on a single monitor, on DP and HDMI.
@CaseySJ Actually I still had CSM on. I turned CSM off and got the same exact screen as before with the 5700. So no change with the 580.

Okay, some suggestions:
  • Perform CMOS Reset and configure all BIOS parameters again according to the BIOS gallery located here.
  • With RX 580 still installed, try booting macOS again.
    • Also try booting without "agdpmod=pikera"
  • If same black screen, connect a different monitor and reboot. Try both 4K and non-4K monitors if available. Try both HDMI and DisplayPort connections.
  • If black screen persists, consider reinstalling macOS from scratch on the same SSD, but with the RX 580 installed throughout.
    • Perhaps it might be better to install fresh copy of Catalina. If video card works, then an in-place upgrade to Big Sur can be initiated.
What is the make/model of the RX 580?
What is the make/model of the RX 5700 XT?
What is the make/model of the monitor(s)?

Last edited:
MaxTech, 9to5Mac, and others on YouTube have compared 4K and 8K Final Cut Pro timeline scrubbing and exporting on M1 Mac mini versus (a) 16 Inch MacBook Pro and (b) 28-Core 2019 Mac Pro and found the $700 Mac mini to outclass them both.

Having watched a fair number of M1 reviews on YouTube, I am quickly coming to the conclusion that within 12 to 18 months there will be no further reason to run an Intel-based Mac.

Incidentally, not for a single moment did I think that the 2019 Mac Pro (starting price $6000) made any sense. Some YouTubers purchased $30,000 Mac Pro configurations that are being outclassed by the $700 Mac mini. When higher end Apple Silicon Macs arrive next year, I can only imagine how far ahead they will be.

@CaseySJ

This answer of yours ... gave me chills ... I already imagined it ... but I didn't think it was so fast and could cost so cheap ....
If this happens at this rate, it will hardly justify continuing to assemble hacks, because if a Mac Mini, of 1000 dollars, already hits a lot on the machine we have ... it is complicated to continue ...

Back