Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ ,

I am using:
- x2 Adata XPG SX8200 Pro NVMe M.2 1tb, 1 for MacOS and 1 for Windows.
- x1 Samsung 850 Evo 1tb SSD SATA (For my MacOS Backup Drive)
- x1 Samsung 860 QVO 2tb SSD SATA (For Storing Games on the Windows side)

I can't recall which SATA ports the are connected to but I know they are the correct ones that don't interfere with each other, I researched extensively before installing them to make sure of it.

Scratch that, just checked and they are on Sata 3-2 & 3-3.

Prior to OC I had been using an external flash drive as my EFI to boot into mac/windows with Clover.

and you are correct! The whole drive did not get wiped, the bootloader was removed. Fortunately I use NTFS for Mac and was able to backup everything. Just decided to wipe it anyway, as anytime this has happened I have not been able to boot into it again.

I was able to boot into Windows once with OC Picker just before installed Big Sur, after that it failed to boot from both the bios or OC Picker.
The SX8200 Pros and Samsung 850/860 EVOs are all okay. If you are still unable the mount the EFI partition of the two macOS SSDs, please try this in Terminal:
Bash:
diskutil list
You will get an output similar to this:
Code:
% diskutil list
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *512.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI ⁨EFI⁩                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                 Apple_APFS ⁨Container disk3⁩         511.9 GB   disk0s2

/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk1
   1:                        EFI ⁨EFI⁩                     209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:                 Apple_APFS ⁨Container disk2⁩         1000.0 GB  disk1s2

/dev/disk2 (synthesized):
   0:      APFS Container Scheme -                      +1000.0 GB  disk2
                                 Physical Store disk1s2
   1:                APFS Volume ⁨Rocket PCIe 4.0⁩         978.9 KB   disk2s1

/dev/disk3 (synthesized):
   0:      APFS Container Scheme -                      +511.9 GB   disk3
                                 Physical Store disk0s2
   1:                APFS Volume ⁨Big Sur - Data⁩          116.1 GB   disk3s1
   2:                APFS Volume ⁨Preboot⁩                 486.2 MB   disk3s2
   3:                APFS Volume ⁨Recovery⁩                655.5 MB   disk3s3
   4:                APFS Volume ⁨VM⁩                      1.1 MB     disk3s4
   5:                APFS Volume ⁨Big Sur⁩                 15.4 GB    disk3s5
   6:              APFS Snapshot ⁨com.apple.os.update-...⁩ 15.4 GB    disk3s5s1

/dev/disk4 (internal, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *256.1 GB   disk4
   1:                        EFI ⁨EFI⁩                     209.7 MB   disk4s1
   2:         Microsoft Reserved ⁨⁩                        16.8 MB    disk4s2
   3:       Microsoft Basic Data ⁨⁩                        255.8 GB   disk4s3
Note that the first two drives and the last drive are (internal, physical), keyword "physical". These are the actual physical drives, while the others are synthesized or logical drives.

For each physical drive we can see a list of the disk partitions and the disk IDENTIFIER in the last column.

To mount the EFI partition of the first physical disk, we can see that it has a partition of TYPE EFI with the IDENTIFIER disk0s1.

We can mount this EFI partition manually, like this:
Bash:
sudo diskutil mount disk0s1

In your case, disk0s1 needs to be replaced with the IDENTIFIER that you see.

So try this and see what (a) delays or (b) warnings or (c) errors you see in the Terminal window.

@CaseySJ Thank you for posting your Open Core Efi for X99 systems. I was able to install macOS Big Sur with some edits to your Open Core EFI. I am very pleased with the performance thus far. :thumbup: :headbang:
Glad to hear it!

However, please note the following and remove the quoted guide from your post:

Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 2.53.32 AM.png

Only on this disc, but I made a clone of this same disc and the same problem occurs.
Did you use beta version of Carbon Copy Cloner to clone Big Sur? Perhaps try again with latest beta version or wait until the release version comes out.

Is it possible for us to update gpu drivers? Cause cubase is not letting me see video player because it asks to do that
GPU drivers are regularly updated in macOS updates. We cannot (should not) update them ourselves.

Still not
Does the Windows drive appear in the BIOS Boot Menu (press F12 at BIOS splash screen)?

If not, then then Windows boot loader has either been moved or deleted.

Does the Windows drive appear in the BIOS Boot Menu (press F12 at BIOS splash screen)?

If not, then then Windows boot loader has either been moved or deleted.
I’m an idiot, the m2 disk takes oit one of the sata. Solved.
Still the gpu issue persist, not a good one. A way to bypass the card? Cubase doesn’t allow that

I have been putting this off because i hate to bother anyone...however...I noticed that when exporting a 1080p file from FCPX my CPU and GPU don't seem to really do anything. When I use something like Handbrake though my CPU ramps up like I would expect. Is there some setting or information I could post that might help me with this? I could have sworn when I did this beutiful build a year ago following Mr. Casey:s great guide that my Finalcut was working normally. I feel like at some point it slowed down and isnt utilizing the full potential of my computer that it should be.

Last edited:
Thanks CaseySJ,
the problem was on Open Core Configurator, for me the good version is 2.15.2.0, the 2.16.0.0 or 2.18.0.0 have created problems with CustomMemory and ForceResolution at reboot.
Now it’s ok! Truly grateful for your help
To edit the OpenCore 0.6.3 config.plist files we must use OpenCore Configurator 2.18.0.0 or newer. But we must set it to OpenCore 0.6.3 Release Version (OpenCore Configurator --> File --> Preferences) as explained in the OpenCore 0.6.3 Mini-Guide:
Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 3.33.50 AM.png

Is it possible for us to update gpu drivers? Cause cubase is not letting me see video player because it asks to do that
are you using Cubase 11?

Back