Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I can confirm. I've been on the original v50 firmware and it's been working on Big Sur (well my Ultrafine 5K and USB have been working). Today I tried the Elias v23 firmware and the only way I could get it working was by plugging in an additional monitor in the HDMI port. I've switched back to the v50 firmware and Big Sur is running normally again.
Maybe we can hope for a modified v50 firmware!

I can confirm. I've been on the original v50 firmware and it's been working on Big Sur (well my Ultrafine 5K and USB have been working). Today I tried the Elias v23 firmware and the only way I could get it working was by plugging in an additional monitor in the HDMI port. I've switched back to the v50 firmware and Big Sur is running normally again.
I just re-read your comment. So with the stock v50 firmware your UltraFine's USB ports and internal devices work? If so, are you using any of the HackinDROM DSDTs?

** SIDE-GUIDE: Asus X99 Deluxe II OpenCore 0.6.3 EFI for Big Sur **
Please do not quote this guide in its entirety. Post an excerpt or link instead.
(Attached ZIP file has been revised Nov 15)​
@CaseySJ Thank you for posting your Open Core Efi for X99 systems. I was able to install macOS Big Sur with some edits to your Open Core EFI. I am very pleased with the performance thus far. :thumbup: :headbang:

X99 Big Sur .png

X99 Big Sur CPU.png

X99 Big Sur Metal.png

I no longer recommend RadeonBoost. It seems to inflate artificial benchmarks, but does not deliver performance enhancements in real-world applications.
There is an interesting thread in the Acidanthera bug tracker about this. VIT9696 (OC dev) said the he was dropping further development of Force_Load_FalconSMUFW property + PP_WorkLoadPolicyMask which are the values Radeon boost and its ilk use to improve performance. CMMChris, who I believe is the developer of Radeon boost, noted that measuring the memory bandwidth of Radeon VII with the tool CL!NG shows that the memory bandwidth is doubled when these props are loaded and that benchmarks in photoshop and game frame rates "DO" show improvement in memory intensive tasks. Apple has locked the loading of these props to their frame buffer "Araguaia" in Big Sur. Unfortunately this FB is not fully compatible with the R VII port layout so to restore full functionality you have to load the frame buffer and remap the ports. If you don't care about using all the ports or HDMI you can probably skip this port mapping. Someone more industrious than me could submit a PR for this bug here, where also the issue is detailed. I suspect that focus is shifting to Big-Navi but I'll keep injecting these props if only for the placebo effect.

** Mini-Guide: Upgrading from Clover 4xxx to Clover 5xxx **

The upgrade is quite straightforward, but there is one manual post-upgrade step we have to perform:
  • Make a full bootable backup first.
  • Run the Clover 5xxx .pkg installer.
  • Choose your Install Location. This is the existing macOS internal SSD.
  • Then click the Customize button on the lower left.
  • Check on only the following:
    • Clover for UEFI booting only
    • Install Clover in the ESP
  • All other options in the Customize section should be unchecked.
  • If you see a warning about the software not being supported on the current platform, select Continue Anyway.
  • When installation is complete, quit the installer.
Now we'll perform the manual post-upgrade steps:
  • First, you will notice that the EFI partition of the macOS SSD has already been mounted for you.
  • Navigate to the CLOVER folder.
  • You will now find two "drivers" directories:
    • drivers64UEFI -- this is the old one from Clover 4xxx
    • drivers/UEFI -- this is the new one from Clover 5xxx
  • To be safe, delete everything from inside the newly created drivers/UEFI folder (but do not delete the folder itself).
  • Copy everything from the old drivers64UEFI folder to the new drivers/UEFI folder.
  • Now delete the old drivers64UEFI folder and empty the trash. This is necessary.
  • Reboot.
Hi,

After this my Dell Optiplex (Catalina) boots, but screen stays black. I can see it in my network, but I can't connect to it. Any ideas on how to fix this?

I just re-read your comment. So with the stock v50 firmware your UltraFine's USB ports and internal devices work? If so, are you using any of the HackinDROM DSDTs?
Yes I’m using the HackinDROM DSDT (from the HackinDROM site) plus the SSDT dtpg file.

@Media

Please don't quote guides as the title mentions. Please revise your message without the quote.

Back