Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Official Bios - F9i

Ah! Didn’t see this one... Thanks for the info.

I had to make screenshots of BIOS settings as a new BIOS can’t import settings from an old one.

Anything new in this one, apart the CVE fix mentioned?

Thanks,

Patrice

The OpenCore EFI in this guide has the following requirements:
  • CFG-Lock must be disabled.
    • The best way is by installing BIOS F9g
    • See Quick Reference spoiler for download link
  • Catalina is preferred.
  • If using Mojave, we need to disable:
    • SSDT-USBW.aml
    • USBWakeFixup.kext

I'm BIOS F9i, so I guess I don't need to disable the CFG-Lock ? And Catalina 10.15.6.

I'm BIOS F9i, so I guess I don't need to disable the CFG-Lock ? And Catalina 10.15.6.
In BIOS F9i, CFG-Lock is locked by default so it's necessary to manually go to BIOS Setup --> Boot, and unlock that parameter.

I got the ghost plug. It doesn't seem to work that well. I only have one monitor. Are there any bios settings that I should make?
We're rapidly running out of options. Only things left to try are:
  • BIOS --> Thunderbolt --> Thunderbolt Boot Support --> Boot Once
  • BIOS --> CSM Support --> Enabled
  • Enable Platform ID 0x3E9B0007 (just to experiment with because this setting can cause applications to crash and Safari to misbehave)
  • Flash the firmware
The more extreme options are:
  • Use a second monitor at the same time. The second monitor should be a standard non-Thunderbolt monitor.
  • Replace the Thunderbolt monitor with a standard, non-Thunderbolt monitor.

In BIOS F9i, CFG-Lock is locked by default so it's necessary to manually go to BIOS Setup --> Boot, and unlock that parameter.

Indeed , it was enabled but everything is working with baughmann's EFI even when it's enabled. I gain more stability when CFG-Lock is disabled ?

Update: I was able to fix my Bluetooth issue after adding your SSDT-DESIGNARE-Z390-NO-CNVW.aml and SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml.

Thanks

Indeed , it was enabled but everything is working with baughmann's EFI even when it's enabled. I gain more stability when CFG-Lock is disabled ?
You gain the following:
  • Native NVRAM support
  • Native CPU power management
Baughmann’s EFI most likely enables the first two checkboxes in the Kernel section of OpenCore Configurator. Those checkboxes allow the system to boot with CFG-Lock enabled, but at the expense of CPU power management and native NVRAM.

As @roastable mentioned, it's best to isolate variables whenever troubleshooting. In this case:
  • Press F12 at BIOS Splash Screen to boot Windows directly, hence bypassing OpenCore.
  • Then check if Windows can sleep and wake.
  • If system cannot wake, then the problem is due to something in Windows itself.
@CaseySJ @roastable I tried both boot options on my F12 menu that mentioned Windows boot loader, but I still get the same issue. =/
Do you guys have Windows installed? Does that happen at all? Did you tweak EFI/Bios settings?

You gain the following:
  • Native NVRAM support
  • Native CPU power management
Baughmann’s EFI most likely enables the first two checkboxes in the Kernel section of OpenCore Configurator. Those checkboxes allow the system to boot with CFG-Lock enabled, but at the expense of CPU power management and native NVRAM.

Thanks ! Now I have your EFI running. The CFG-Lock disabled was the issue , the first time I read the guide (too quickly as always) I thought you meant that with BIOS F9g, F9h or above we had nothing to do . I went directly to Post #24,234 and I didn't realize it was an option in the Bios.

I posted a while back in here, and got great help (thanks Casey et al!) with regard to audio dropouts with apollo x twin...when using a daw I'm pretty solid now after following usb2/3 guidelines as long as I use a high buffer, but with any streaming apps-spotify, qobuz, tidal etc., or rekordbox playing files off a thumb drive, I get dropouts once every few minutes or more.

When I play audio in finder, it's worse-a song will play for about a minute, then silence (while playing), until I click before or after the cursor, then plays for a bit, then silence repeat...

when I record or play at a low buffer 256 (not really low for this machine I guess is it?) with few plugins I get dropouts often.

I haven't updated any mobo/graphics etc. firmware other than keeping catalina up to date. I don't have a windows boot drive and don't know how otherwise or if it's recommended.

Any ideas what to do now? I have hardline dsl as wifi seemed to contribute to dropouts and bluetooth always off

opening apps/windows or switching browser tabs triggers dropouts but they happen anyway also. Any help appreciated!

Last edited:
I posted a while back in here, and got great help (thanks Casey et al!) with regard to audio dropouts with apollo x twin...when using a daw I'm pretty solid now after following usb2/3 guidelines as long as I use a high buffer, but with any streaming apps-spotify, qobuz, tidal etc., or rekordbox playing files off a thumb drive, I get dropouts once every few minutes or more.

When I play audio in finder, it's worse-a song will play for about a minute, then silence (while playing), until I click before or after the cursor, then plays for a bit, then silence repeat...

when I record or play at a low buffer 256 (not really low for this machine I guess is it?) with few plugins I get dropouts often.

I haven't updated any mobo/graphics etc. firmware other than keeping catalina up to date. I don't have a windows boot drive and don't know how otherwise or if it's recommended.

Any ideas what to do now? I have hardline dsl as wifi seemed to contribute to dropouts and bluetooth always off

opening apps/windows or switching browser tabs triggers dropouts but they happen anyway also. Any help appreciated!
Hi. Please check your System Preference Settings< Sound and Security & Privacy settings. Also check the Audio MIDI Setup App settings.

Attachments

• Sound Preferences and AudioMIDI Setup App_1 of 3.png
    Sound Preferences and AudioMIDI Setup App_1 of 3.png
    618.6 KB · Views: 77
  • Check this too_3 of 3.png
    Check this too_3 of 3.png
    79.9 KB · Views: 78
  • Check this too_2 of 3.png
    Check this too_2 of 3.png
    80 KB · Views: 81
Back