Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I've just checked Windows (installed on a separate SSD), and I'm only able to use one monitor via HDMI connected to any of the two ports on the GPU. All other possible combinations (single/dual, any ports on the MB) do not work. Is this expected due to the change of platform ID?

I've just checked Windows (installed on a separate SSD), and I'm only able to use one monitor via HDMI connected to any of the two ports on the GPU. All other possible combinations (single/dual, any ports on the MB) do not work. Is this expected due to the change of platform ID?
Changing Platform ID has no bearing in Windows. If the problem is occurring on Windows, then you have the right to report this to Gigabyte and/or the GPU manufacturer.

Changing Platform ID has no bearing in Windows. If the problem is occurring on Windows, then you have the right to report this to Gigabyte and/or the GPU manufacturer.
There's one more thing I'd like to try before doing that, which is reinstalling the OS from scratch by following your **Mini-Guide for Fresh Installation of Catalina 10.15.4 and Newer ** guide. I would like to flash BIOS to the latest F9i version through Windows (to simplify disabling CFG-Lock) and I'm wondering, if I do that now, will I loose the ability to load MacOS?

Okay, so the weirdest thing has just happened: I was able to wake from sleep and cold start the machine several times in a row with just one monitor connected. But I don't seem to be able to reproduce this anymore. But what is even weirder, I'm not able to run two monitors on Windows anymore, regardless of which ports I connect them too. The second I pull out the cable from one port, the other monitor lights up, when I plug the cable back in, the currently working monitor goes black and says "No video input". And I can't get any of the monitors to work when connecting to MB ports (HDMI or USB C). Again, that's happening in Windows only, but I still can run 2 monitors in MacOS (although just as before in order to start the machine I need to press the RESET button on the case within the first 2-3 seconds, otherwise I need to shut down the machine and repeat pressing RESET fast).

PS. Both monitors work during the boot and one "dies" only when I get to the Windows login screen.

Thanks for your answer Jiffyslot,

However I don't think the problem is the EFI folder.
The bios is pointing to the right disk:
When I want to boot on the new Catalina installation I select the Catalina SSD after pressing F12 on Bios boot.
The same when I want to boot to my previous Mojave, I select the Mojave SSD after pressing F12 on Bios boot.
I didn't touch the EFI folder on my Mojave partition. It's still there and it looks exactly like it was before the new installation.

The strange thing is this one:
I cannot boot the Mojave system unless the Catalina SSD is also connected.
So you may think. "You are actually using the EFI from the Catalina partition to boot the Mojave."
No, because if I select the Catalina SSD on the bios I have a different clover theme then my previous Mojave clover boot. Also, when I do that (Select Catalina SSD on bios boot) but also select Mojave SSD during clover boot I can't boot anyway on Mojave.

The EFI on Mojave is working, but there is something the interfere with the clover boot.
I red something about NVRAM could do something similar any though on that?
That's really strange. I'd F12 the EFI boot, then select whatever OS disk just to verify all of that. FWIW, I'm on OC 0.6.2.

Does the problem still exist?

Does the LG monitor work if you use a DP to DP cable? Does the LG contain either DP or HDMI ports?
Hey @CaseySJ

Yes, The monitor works with hdmi to hdmi and DP to DP from my Radeon VII (with both Mojave and Catalina).
I also tried usb-c to usb-c, it does freeze. (Both Mojave and Catalina)
Then I bought a Usb-c to DP, same story, it freezes. (Both Mojave and Catalina)

Also, I don't have the original short DP to DP cable connected between the DP Motherboard and the GPU.
For some reasons my z390 designare came with only the DP to mini DP short cable. I don't have any mini DP on my Radeon VII. But I tried with and without a standard DP to DP cable (Between Motherboard and GPU) and the USB-C to DP on the monitor and it doesn't make any difference. The system freezes when I use the USB-C.

This are some screenshots of USB System info and PCI info:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-10-24 at 10.33.11.png
    Screenshot 2020-10-24 at 10.33.11.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot 2020-10-24 at 10.35.17.png
    Screenshot 2020-10-24 at 10.35.17.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Hey @CaseySJ

Yes, The monitor works with hdmi to hdmi and DP to DP from my Radeon VII (with both Mojave and Catalina).
I also tried usb-c to usb-c, it does freeze. (Both Mojave and Catalina)
Then I bought a Usb-c to DP, same story, it freezes. (Both Mojave and Catalina)

Also, I don't have the original short DP to DP cable connected between the DP Motherboard and the GPU.
For some reasons my z390 designare came with only the DP to mini DP short cable. I don't have any mini DP on my Radeon VII. But I tried with and without a standard DP to DP cable (Between Motherboard and GPU) and the USB-C to DP on the monitor and it doesn't make any difference. The system freezes when I use the USB-C.

This are some screenshots of USB System info and PCI info:
The Radeon VII has 1 HDMI and 3 DisplayPorts so how did you use the USB-C to USB-C cable (i.e. there is no USB-C on the Radeon VII)?

The Radeon VII has 1 HDMI and 3 DisplayPorts so how did you use the USB-C to USB-C cable (i.e. there is no USB-C on the Radeon VII)?
In that case I used the tunderbolt 3 connectors of the z390 designare to the USB-C on the LG monitor.
I knew the monitor is not Thunderbolt so that shouldn't work but I was curious to see.

I also tried in both directions:
USB-C from the z390 designare to DP on the Monitor - It does freeze.
DP port from the Radeon VII to the USB-C on the LG monitor - It doesn't freeze but the monitor shows "no signal".

DP to DP works (Radeon VII to LG Monitor) HDMI To HDMI works (Radeon VII to LG Monitor)

In that case I used the tunderbolt 3 connectors of the z390 designare to the USB-C on the LG monitor.
I knew the monitor is not Thunderbolt so that shouldn't work but I was curious to see.

I also tried in both directions:
USB-C from the z390 designare to DP on the Monitor - It does freeze.
DP port from the Radeon VII to the USB-C on the LG monitor - It doesn't freeze but the monitor shows "no signal".

DP to DP works (Radeon VII to LG Monitor) HDMI To HDMI works (Radeon VII to LG Monitor)
The iGPU is set to headless mode via Platform ID 0x3E980003, which means the on-board video ports will not work.

The iGPU is set to headless mode via Platform ID 0x3E980003, which means the on-board video ports will not work.
All right, but I should be able to drive the monitor with the the Radeon VII DP to LG USB-C should work,
right? - Any thoughts how I could achieve that?

I may change to iMacPro1,1 Pro Apps (No iGPU) since I use this system for video editing with
Adobe apps and Da Vinci Resolve. Like in Pics below:

But for now I wanted to test the USB-C capabilities of the LG monitor.
Also, I don't have another usb-c/Thunderbolt capable device to test the motherboard with.

Back