Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the TP-Link T9E. This build guide recommends the Fenvi FV-T919 or FV-HB1200. Have you searched TonyMac or the Internet for possible solutions to this problem?
I have tried but haven't found much. The ehtenet is also very slow but I used all the kext and files you had for download and followed your guide. Not sure what went wrong.

I have tried but haven't found much. The ehtenet is also very slow but I used all the kext and files you had for download and followed your guide. Not sure what went wrong.
Try removing the TP-Link card (always shutdown and switch PSU off) then restarting and seeing if Ethernet speed is normal.

I used Clover for installation.
To switch to AMD GPU we can just install the AMD GPU and move the video cable to the AMD GPU.
  • Then in BIOS Setup change Initial Display Output to PCIe 1 Slot.
Next, we should change Platform ID to 0x3E980003 (iGPU enabled, but in headless mode). If you can post your config.plist I'll modify it (but remove serial numbers from SMBIOS section before posting -- be sure to make a backup of the config.plist before modifying it).

If you don't see any renames there then no worries because there aren't any! Let's just try again without THB_C header cable, but this will require jumping together the middle and top pins of the J1 Thunderbolt header. Hold the card vertically with PCIe pins pointed towards the floor. Then jumper the middle and top pins with breadboard jumper wires (same types of wires as those used for flashing the controller).
Did the jumper wire install & hot plug is back! And I have 40gb/s on both ports!

Vendor name is still coming up as Gigabyte, I'm assuming that's ok?

Still no video during boot, but that's not the end of the world.

Going to reboot it with it still connected and see if it works on a reboot.

Cold boot still isn't happening when it's connected. But progress is progress!

Did the jumper wire install & hot plug is back! And I have 40gb/s on both ports!

Vendor name is still coming up as Gigabyte, I'm assuming that's ok?

Still no video during boot, but that's not the end of the world.

Going to reboot it with it still connected and see if it works on a reboot.

Cold boot still isn't happening when it's connected. But progress is progress!
Alright, that's certainly an improvement. Regarding video during boot, let's see if the HDMI/DP ghost plug solves the problem. Vendor name "Gigabyte" is correct because the GC-Titan Ridge is a Gigabyte product.

Alright, that's certainly an improvement. Regarding video during boot, let's see if the HDMI/DP ghost plug solves the problem. Vendor name "Gigabyte" is correct because the GC-Titan Ridge is a Gigabyte product.
Ok update time!

Boot computer up then plug the card in, everything works (original behaviour)

Reboot the computer while still connected. Everything works (improvement)
Cold boot the computer with everything disconnected, wait until boot, plug in the dock, everything works (major improvement).

As I'm typing this, going to try local node with my Macbook Pro and see if it works without it disconnecting anything else (I think it will- let's find out ...)

So just a little background, I'm using a Caldigit TS3+ Thunderbolt dock. It has a blue light on the front when it's connected. When I boot the computer up while it's connected, it doesn't even light up- until I unplug / replug it. Will this ghost plug solve that or is that something else entirely?

Edit: It's something else entirely.

If I plug in another HDMI monitor and boot cold, the computer obviously turns on fine, but Thunderbolt isn't connected until I unplug / replug.

Local node is also working, so basically it's running perfectly..... EXCEPT the boot up cold LOL

Last edited:
Try removing the TP-Link card (always shutdown and switch PSU off) then restarting and seeing if Ethernet speed is normal.
Nope. I removed the T9E wifi card and the ethernet speed is still really slow. I event tried both ports, but im using the one close to the audio ports as my main ethernet.

Nope. I removed the T9E wifi card and the ethernet speed is still really slow. I event tried both ports, but im using the one close to the audio ports as my main ethernet.
Are you using Jumbo frames (large MTU value) on any other devices and/or Ethernet switches in your network? MTU setting is in:

System Preferences --> Network --> (Select Ethernet device on left side) --> Advanced --> Hardware

Back