Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ So boot up with Thunderbolt working, then restart with it still plugged in and then attempt hotplug correct?

@CaseySJ So boot up with Thunderbolt working, then restart with it still plugged in and then attempt hotplug correct?
Yes, correct. But for the sake of completeness we should test these scenarios:
  • Boot with TB3 device connected. Then Apple Menu --> Restart. Then hot-plug the device. Does it work?
  • Boot with TB3 device disconnected. Then Apple Menu --> Restart. Then hot-plug the device. Does it work?

Yes, correct. But for the sake of completeness we should test these scenarios:
  • Boot with TB3 device connected. Then Apple Menu --> Restart. Then hot-plug the device. Does it work?
  • Boot with TB3 device disconnected. Then Apple Menu --> Restart. Then hot-plug the device. Does it work?
Ok, lots of observations.

Boot with TB3 connected - restarted... my Clover came up with the boot screen, but then it booted with no monitor support and none of my Thunderbolt 3 devices were connected at boot. (I had to remote in with Wifi enabled on the hackintosh and login from another computer). Hotplugging at this point made no difference.

Boot with TB3 disconnected (HDMI plugged in for the monitor). Plugging in TB3 made no difference, didn't come up.

Now here's an interesting observation.

I enabled Wifi on the machine, and unplugged my dock (which has ethernet- obviously when the TB3 connection dies, the computer will rely on Wifi). If TB3 is working, and I try to unplug / replug, I can't even remote into the machine via Wifi. I wonder if it's actually crashing it on hotplug perhaps?

Ok, lots of observations.

Boot with TB3 connected - restarted... my Clover came up with the boot screen, but then it booted with no monitor support and none of my Thunderbolt 3 devices were connected at boot. (I had to remote in with Wifi enabled on the hackintosh and login from another computer). Hotplugging at this point made no difference.

Boot with TB3 disconnected (HDMI plugged in for the monitor). Plugging in TB3 made no difference, didn't come up.

Now here's an interesting observation.

I enabled Wifi on the machine, and unplugged my dock (which has ethernet- obviously when the TB3 connection dies, the computer will rely on Wifi). If TB3 is working, and I try to unplug / replug, I can't even remote into the machine via Wifi. I wonder if it's actually crashing it on hotplug perhaps?
It's quite possible that hot-plug is causing a system crash under certain circumstances. If you have any GPE Event renames in ACPI (such as "rename _E17 to XE17"), they should be disabled.

Does your motherboard have a Thunderbolt header (THB_C)?

It's quite possible that hot-plug is causing a system crash under certain circumstances. If you have any GPE Event renames in ACPI (such as "rename _E17 to XE17"), they should be disabled.

Does your motherboard have a Thunderbolt header (THB_C)?
Where would I rename the GPE event renames? Is it in the AML file?

Also, I do have a thunderbolt header and it's connected.

Where would I rename the GPE event renames? Is it in the AML file?

Also, I do have a thunderbolt header and it's connected.
If there are any renames, they should be disabled. Renames, if any, will be found here:
  • Clover Configurator --> ACPI
  • OpenCore Configurator --> ACPI --> Patch
Also please try disconnecting the THB_C cable and start with a cold boot.

If there are any renames, they should be disabled. Renames, if any, will be found here:
  • Clover Configurator --> ACPI
  • OpenCore Configurator --> ACPI --> Patch
Also please try disconnecting the THB_C cable and start with a cold boot.
Nothing under RenameDevices that I can see, if I remove my serial number, can I attach my config.plist here?

Nothing under RenameDevices that I can see, if I remove my serial number, can I attach my config.plist here?
If you don't see any renames there then no worries because there aren't any! Let's just try again without THB_C header cable, but this will require jumping together the middle and top pins of the J1 Thunderbolt header. Hold the card vertically with PCIe pins pointed towards the floor. Then jumper the middle and top pins with breadboard jumper wires (same types of wires as those used for flashing the controller).

If you don't see any renames there then no worries because there aren't any! Let's just try again without THB_C header cable, but this will require jumping together the middle and top pins of the J1 Thunderbolt header. Hold the card vertically with PCIe pins pointed towards the floor. Then jumper the middle and top pins with breadboard jumper wires (same types of wires as those used for flashing the controller).
I gotta grab some breadboard wires lol. The cables I have are bonded together and I don't wanna unravel them (I ordered some off Amazon when I got this card and they still haven't showed up). I'll ask an engineer friend of mine or I'll hit a store super quick in an hour or so

@CaseySJ I'll jump those wires and update you when I've tried it. I keep having this nagging suspicion that my TB3 header cable is dead or the jumper on the board is acting weird. Because if I remove the cable entirely and boot, there's no actual difference in how the card functions.

Last edited:
Back