Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi @CaseySJ

I have two issues with flashed thunderbolt 3.0 card.

I have flashed Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge V1.0 thunderbolt 3.0 with your patched firmware(V1 .bin). on Gigabyte Z390 D motherboard it works well but cant shut down as system keeps restarting. if I remove thunderbolt card then system shuts down without any issues. the card seems working fine without having any issues. the only thing is I have to do warm booting to enable thunderbolt devices.

I have also tested the same flashed card with my Asus X299 TUF mark 2 motherboard. on this motherboard it boots fine system shuts down fine but if I try to connect any thunderbolt 3.0 devices when the system is on then it will freeze. But I also noticed that if I do thunderbolt 3.0 devices connected while system boots then thunderbolt devices detects fine and I can do hot plugging as well, No freeze or hang problems at all. the port 7 is also working fine / populated.

On both above case If I use none flashed thunderbolt 3.0 card then both systems working fine.

Do you have any idea what may the issue behind this?

Thank you
Please provide some additional information:
  • Are you running Mojave or Catalina?
  • The Gigabyte Z390 D has a Thunderbolt header (THB_C). Is the GC-Titan Ridge connected to THB_C?
  • In which slot is the GC-Titan Ridge installed? The top, middle, or bottom long slot?
  • What is the make/model of your GPU?

@CaseySJ

I have a HP notebook Zbook G5 Studio equipped with Titan Ridged chipset. USB-C ports hotplug are working. Without any SSDT injection, I'm able to see the local node of the thunderbolt controller under IOreg. see attached. I have a LG monitor 34bl850 with thunderbolt input and I cannot connect my screen via thunderbolt (tried different platform-id and discrete graphics disabled via bios). However, hotplug of the usb ports on the monittor is working when I plugin the thunderbolt cable. Is there any chance I can modify the rom or ssdt to inject bus driver?

Attached screenshot and thunderbolt roms retrieved from Linux and original rom from HP update. Also, the original thunderbolt SSDT from my laptop.
Hello @walechan,

Some questions:
  • Which CPU is inside the ZBook G5 Studio? Is it an Ice Lake 10th generation Intel mobile CPU?
    • If so, it uses a very different Thunderbolt layout.
  • Which version of macOS have you installed?

Hi @CaseySJ ,

First I love you. Not in a weird way but rather because your work is amazing.

Second, I am hoping you could help me get my thunderbolt display working with my hackintosh. I can't decide between buying a titan ridge AIC and maybe flashing it(read some post that it was not required to get the TB display runing)or flashing my z390 Designare board TB firmware.

On this post https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/post-2175525

You mentioned the z390 Designare has a THB_C but Im not seeing it on the board nor the manual.

Which approach would be best for newb like myself?

Keep it classy

Hi @CaseySJ ,

First I love you. Not in a weird way but rather because your work is amazing.

Second, I am hoping you could help me get my thunderbolt display working with my hackintosh. I can't decide between buying a titan ridge AIC and maybe flashing it(read some post that it was not required to get the TB display runing)or flashing my z390 Designare board TB firmware.

On this post https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/post-2175525

You mentioned the z390 Designare has a THB_C but Im not seeing it on the board nor the manual.

Which approach would be best for newb like myself?

Keep it classy
Hello @wiiwelshman,

Welcome to the forum. Some comments/suggestions:
  • The Gigabyte Z390 D is a particular model in the Gigabyte lineup. It's different from the Z390 Designare.
  • Where Z390 D has a THB_C header, Z390 Designare does not.
  • Motherboards with on-board Thunderbolt controllers don't have THB_C headers, but they can still accommodate Thunderbolt PCIe cards. We just have to connect a jumper wire between two pins on the card itself.
To address your question about the Thunderbolt display, we'll need to know which model you have. Different models behave differently. Most current-generation models should work without needing to be flashed. We only need to connect a DisplayPort cable from the AMD GPU (RX 570 in your case) to the port marked DP-In on the rear IO panel. Then connect the Thunderbolt monitor to the Thunderbolt port located nearest to the HDMI port.

@CaseySJ I've had to replace my motherboard, and I am now having trouble signing into the App Store (in Big Sur and in Catalina). Everything else works fine (iMessage, iCloud, etc.), so I am wondering if I need to change my config.plist to reflect this hardware change (signing everything out and then back in did not help).

Hello @walechan,

Some questions:
  • Which CPU is inside the ZBook G5 Studio? Is it an Ice Lake 10th generation Intel mobile CPU?
    • If so, it uses a very different Thunderbolt layout.
  • Which version of macOS have you installed?
This is a coffee lake 8th gen i7-8850h On board with uhd 630 and nividia p1000 ( disabled via bios). HDMI port routed to Nvidia so it won't work since I disabled the discrete graphics.

I have installed Catalina. Everything working fine except thunderbolt at this moment.

Thanks for your reply.

Please provide some additional information:
  • Are you running Mojave or Catalina?
  • The Gigabyte Z390 D has a Thunderbolt header (THB_C). Is the GC-Titan Ridge connected to THB_C?
  • In which slot is the GC-Titan Ridge installed? The top, middle, or bottom long slot?
  • What is the make/model of your GPU?
Hi CaseySJ

Thank you for the reply,
  • I Have Mojave and Catalina installed on different systems. Yes I have connected THB_C on both motherboards I also tried without it as well.
  • On Gigabyte Z390D I have installed thunderbolt card on to second (middle/PCIe 2) slot. this system has got i9 9900K CPU
  • On X299 ASUS TUF Mark 2 motherboard I have tried PCIe 2 and PCIe 3 slots. On this system thunderbolt card works fine but on first boot if I do not connect thunderbolt and if I connect after system powered on then system freeze and I have to force restart. But if I connected thunderbolt devices on boot then there is no problem with the thunderbolt and is perfectly working fine including hotplug. this system uses i9 10940X CPU. BIOS version is 3105

Please try CMOS Reset. This will require BIOS parameters to be configured once again, starting with F7 (Load Optimized Defaults). If you're on BIOS F9g then CFG-Lock will be disabled already. But if you're on a different version, it will be necessary to unlock MSR 0xE2 again.

@CaseySJ I clearCmos.
And Reset Bios, Loaded optimized default, then tried back.
The MacOS is still very laggy, taking a while to open every application.
But still haven’t Internet.

thus, Bluetooth, WiFi and Internet are displaying.

I have to note that this happened while I tried opening Mail.
Everything was running smooth for weeks without a problem.
But the Mail app crashed, so I Had to press Reset button on the case.

Since then, it loads weird and takes age to load all app on the start. It does not allow me to use internet (I can load safari but the research just infinitely loads without ever loading an internet page).

any idea ? Might be a bad Memory save or something like this ?

i tried also to Press F11 on clover Boot screen (v5101). But nothing happens.
I tried into the Macos terminal (not the clover one) to Sudo Nvram -c, but I got this error error clearing firmware variables (iokit/common) not permitted.
I still tried to reboot as some says it does still clear the Nvram.

i still got the same problem.

Any ideas to fix this ?
thank you

Last edited:
Hello,

Thank you very much for ALL the guys and women on this tread !

I have make the flash like that:
This worked at the first time !

Here's the procedure I used:
  • The Motherboard is out of the box with NOTHING on (CPU, RAM, etc. ...)
  • Make sure Raspberry Pi is turned off.
  • Disconnect pin 8 (Vcc or power) from SOIC8 clip.
  • Connect SOIC8 clip to Thunderbolt chip so that it swallows the chip.
  • Turn on Raspberry Pi.
  • Open Terminal.
  • Run flashrom as shown below. It worked the first time.
Code:
pi@raspberrypi:~/Documents/Designare/Mar-28 $ sudo flashrom -p linux_spi:dev=/dev/spidev0.0,spispeed=2048 -r Designare-1.bin
flashrom on Linux 4.19.97-v7l+ (armv7l)
flashrom is free software, get the source code at https://flashrom.org
Using clock_gettime for delay loops (clk_id: 1, resolution: 1ns).
Found Winbond flash chip "W25Q80.V" (1024 kB, SPI) on linux_spi.
Reading flash... done.

pi@raspberrypi:~/Documents/Designare/Mar-28 $ sudo flashrom -p linux_spi:dev=/dev/spidev0.0,spispeed=2048 -r Designare-2.bin
Reading flash... done.

pi@raspberrypi:~/Documents/Designare/Mar-28 $ sudo flashrom -p linux_spi:dev=/dev/spidev0.0,spispeed=2048 -r Designare-3.bin
Reading flash... done.
  • Make sure checksums match on all 3 read attempts.
Code:
pi@raspberrypi:~/Documents/Designare/Mar-28 $ shasum *
0f70c0d010ddd0f1494d53a01751ae0fa691959d Designare-1.bin
0f70c0d010ddd0f1494d53a01751ae0fa691959d Designare-2.bin
0f70c0d010ddd0f1494d53a01751ae0fa691959d Designare-3.bin

Hi @Lukey1979 thanks for this. I just had to edit some minor parts in config.plist but it worked flawlessly. Awesome stuff! I already updated to the latest Safari before I even used your EFI and I'm actually even surprised that Netflix worked for you as I never got it to work like ever. So even now, it didn't. Haha. Please do let us know if you got it working again.

The Aquantia port worked OOTB for me but my Fenvi Bluetooth/USB issue still persists--where all bluetooth/USB devices will just randomly freeze and I'd have to Screen Share access my Hack to restart it. Have you ever had that issue?

Lastly, the OC picker looks weird yeah but I'm least bothered by it. Haha

Hi mate :)

Yeah no worries at all.

I have a few small little bugs, like my OC picker menu resolution appears to be wrong, this is since changing from 0.6.1 back to 0.6.0 and then back to 0.6.1 again. I was trying to solve some issues hence the backwards and forwards. All seems to be working pretty OK with no real issues. Since moving from 0.6.0 to 0.6.1, I no longer have the Aquantia Ethernet port working (It was working with 0.6.0), however I am just using the Intel ethernet port instead. (Please let me know if your Aquantia Port stops working too) I believe it is just an OC issue and may resolve itself with further updates.

EDIT: Have you updated to the latest Safari? I did this yesterday and now it won't play Netflix shows :-/

Back